Kickstarting CMT career, refresher training

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Cardinal, Nov 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Because my FTRS aplication has been so messed up and I dont relish the prospect of another two months unemployment waiting for a course I am seriously thinking of withdrawing the application and concentrating on my TA career and civvi job.

I am a CMT 1 Sgt, attached to a REME TA unit. I completed my CMT 1 course well over ten years ago and my BARTS has long since ran out. Likewise my BDSS course. I have tried to stay current, with yearly attachments to med centres even when mobilised and on FTRS (out of trade)

However once one is away from an AMS unit you become somewhat fogotten about, the RAMC take no interest in keeping you updated and your career progression. There is no information forwarded to you about courses, training and updates and in non AMS units the PSI's and training officers are probably too busy to help you out.

If I do stay TA rather than go back to FTRS what courses can I do to kickstart my career as a CMT and where can I find out about them?

Indeed is there actually any future as a CMT?

Cardinal

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

CMT TA? Dead in the water unless you work as paramedic in Civ Div.

3. Unfortunately thats what I suspected. Do you think the "Management" have a plan?

Some NHS trusts have it written in that if they train you as a Paramedic you cannot join the TA. This caused big problems for a CMT in my TA unit.

Anyone from the management have any imput on this?

Cardinal

4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I think the management are unavaliable for comment.

Some say they are running scared.

5. Knowledge and Practice.

You can go on all the med courses you can get your hands on, but unless you get the chance to put this knowledge into practice (and maintain proof of such)then your time and efforts will have been for nothing.

And sitting in the back of a BFA one weekend a month waiting for someone to hurt themselves counts for little.

The CMT cadre within the TA AMS is now being wittled down to minimal levels - and some are being 're-traded' as TA HCAs

Your medical knowledge will be required when you get to 84, not youor skills (and leave your red cross armband at home too!)

6. now somebody tells me this i just put in for transfer from TA inf to a medical squadron. and my papers are almost through

do you just mean though that if i do become a cmt i will have no career because i dont mind that it still beats the inf platoon i was with where my section commander went to the oc and told him he doubts i would be ready for promotion for at least 10 years and got me in front of the recruits and said if this man (to put it politely) can do it any man can.

Note: im not a crap infantryman my PC way before i put in for transfer believed i would be ready within a year for promotion for just decided to leave before i tried to deck my section cmd and sec 2ic.

also sorry for seeming like a WAH i didnt mean to just came out like that

7. Anyone from the Management care to comment? Please?

Cardinal

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Not a chance, they are tucked up in their Ivory Tower, with their milky tea waiting for the next challenge- which unfortunatley aint you, Cardinal.

9. Management in the AMS, gosh how things have changed. Couldnt spell it let alone admininster it. Best of luck Cardinal.

10. :roll:

K, you got any of those nice biccies left or is it my turn? Trouble is, I can't get my huge arrse out of my high-backed, executive leather office chair. Tell you what, I'll send my man over once he's finished polishing my shoes. Earl Grey at three ok for you?

11. Thanks Karabiner. good news and most welcome.

I am, probably, about to start FTRS for a year. However apart from a tour most of this will be taken up with training time. Will I be able to attend said courses whilst on FTRS?

Thanks
    Cardinal

12. K, you got any of those nice biccies left or is it my turn? Trouble is, I can't get my huge arrse out of my high-backed, executive leather office chair. Tell you what, I'll send my man over once he's finished polishing my shoes. Earl Grey at three ok for you?[/quote]

Yes three is fine got some nice jam tarts in for you, but might struggle to find a chair big enough to park your arrse. Enjoy.

13. I wasn't talking to you.

14. But i was to you. Take care.

15. I seem to have acquired a pet. Go away, shoo!