Kicking the Imperialist Habit

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by whale_omlette, Feb 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is good stuff, Brian has a point here....

"Nevertheless, even after acknowledging the difficulties, I believe Britain's foreign policy needs to be rethought fundamentally. Instead of pushing ourselves forward as global policemen we ought to face some unpleasant realities of the 21st Century.
    One of them is that much of what is labelled progress is an illusion. The world hasn't become a safer place. On the contrary, it's never been as dangerous to human existence as it is now."

and here....

"Now, I think we need to stop kidding ourselves about our role. In the real world we don't keep giving Washington advice that it takes. We aren't listened to attentively by France and Germany. And there isn't a long queue of countries lining up to receive our moral guidance.

To face these truths is neither unpatriotic, nor dispiriting. Our merits as a nation don't depend on dumping our armed forces down in small packets all over the Northern Hemisphere in deference to an antiquated world role."

There's some real gems hidden amongst this transcript. It's a bit of a chore to get through, but worth it for a realistic view of modern Britain.

2. Excellent read and some very Valid points.

3. Nothing to do with Imperial masochistic nuns then? Wrong forum I believe :oops:

4. He's pretty much quoted John Gray word for word... If this tickled your grey matter please read "Heresies (against progress and other illusions)" By John Gray. Excellent read, and one might consider him to be one of the most important philosophers of the 21st Century.

5. Sounds good. I'll get on to it right after The Utility of Force, which is shaping up pretty good so far. Now, where's my pith helmet?

6. I rather like/d the Imperialist Habit....when we (Great Britain) ran the world it worked....more or less. :)

7. That's just it - we don't run the Empire any more and it's high time we realised it and adjusted our foreign policy accordingly. And stop getting involved in little scraps overseas that we can't extract from once we've performed out little military interventions. How is it going to look when British soldiers start coming home in body bags because we think that we can drive down opium production is some scabby backwater country for the furtherance of some unpopular political objective.