Kicked out of Army?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Spirk, Nov 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im sorry if this is not the place to ask but a Google search brought this site up and I really need some help as I know very little about the Army and its rules.

A friend of mine is in the Army and I found out a couple of days ago that last week he got arrested for beating up a civilian. He broke the guy's nose and some ribs I believe but it wasn't him that started the fight apparently (which I can believe because I've known him since school and he's a laidback bloke until he's really provoked). I haven't been able to contact him since it happened so all this is second hand and he doesn't speak much about his Army life anyway but I'm worried that he'll be kicked out. It's all he's ever known, he had a shitty childhood and the Army really helped turn him around and now it seems he might lose it all because some little chav wound him up.

I know this is all very vague but is it likely he'll be kicked out of the Army?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Stand by. That's not advice for him, but for you with regards to some of the answers you'll get.

3. Oh...I've done something wrong haven't I? Sorry.

4. "It depends."

Arrest isn't conviction. If he's convicted - and he may not be, there will probably be "Consequential Military Penalties" or "Major Administrative Action" - that is, the Army gets a go at him after the civvie court sentences him. What they are depends on a number of factors - what he is convicted of, what rank he is (the more senior the more serious) and what a good or bad lad he is.

If he gets a custodial, suspended custodial or community sentence (and I'm not an lawyer, even an Army one), I think he is likely to face dismissal. If he gets a fine, then it is rather more dependent.

Of course, if he gets found not guilty, he isn't going to be immune from CMPs but they're unlike to be as severe as dismissal.

5. No idea.why do you have to put in 10 characters?

6. Thanks very much. Appreciated.

7. Your friend needs to secure the services of a decent civilian solicitor soonest. His SSA (regimental discipline clerk) should be able to point him in the right direction if he has not already got one.

8. Slightly contrary to what Idrach says above, one of my lads recently found himself in a similar position, but with the help of a very good lawyer, received only a community service sentence, and he was not subsequently kicked out.

9. Thanks all.

10. Not at all just some posters can be... well, 'unhelpful' :)

Glad you've got answers