kick it off then

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Aug 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Welcome to the forum, anything on shooting sports can go here. Any questions that arent directly related to the QM or Inf thread etc are welcome. I suspect that a few bone ones will slip through but I'm sure it will be moderated so everyone can enjoy.
    Tomorrow I am running an introduction to stalking course for one of Archers mates. I will run Archer through some reloading and also get an hour in or so on the range before we do an actual stalk.
    I'll post pics if successful!

Whoops a double tap! :oops:
  2. Hello ugly,

it is good to see the shooting thread idea is now up and running,well done to those who suggested it.

Edited because my "T" key seems to be failing!
  3. Favourite guns.
    My first shotgun was a W.G.Greener variable choke with a Martini-Henry action, walnut stock, chrome plated barrel, and started life in use by the Victorian era police for riot control. For this magnificent gun I paid £25, buying it from a PSI who was not able to take it with him on posting from AAC Harrogate. To date I have not been able to find a piccy of a similar piece.
  4. I've got it now! My "Sporting pig gun". To be honest I shoot steel plates with it more than anything else! :D

Do fancy killing a pig with it though!

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I bought two for £50 each at Weller and Dufty back in 1997 and sold them the same evening at the gun club in Wednesbury. I wish I had kept one!
    The difference between the true Greener riot guns and the sporting models can vary from 14 bore and a 3 pronged firing pin through to all sorts of minor stock variations. As a rule though the adjustable choke models were sold as sporting!
  6. Saw one of the 14 bore three pin models recently,. Some animal had converted it to 12 bore, within the last 12 months. You could understand it years ago but nowadays with such a rare article. I would have bought it otherwise. Egyptian stamps, the lot. :X

Incidentally, the GP pictured above isn't mine - I would never fit a rubber recoil pad to one!
  7. Hi Ugly and congrats on the MoD thing...

Are we allowed to darken your doors and talk about clay shooting etc?
  8. EX-STAB, thanks for the photos, brings back happy memories. Mine was 12 bore.
  9. Cow

Cow LE

Should we have a sticky for usefull links to organisations etc?
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Of course you can, I'm not the mod for this forum though!
  11. Right, super enthused by the olympics etc.

I fancy representing the country in 2012 at clay shooting...

What's my route and how do I go about bagging one of those medals? I've got four years to go and quite a bit of exp having been a keen shooter for the past 8 years.

I'll take all suggestions but I am not willing to sleep with anyone.

"Let the Games Begin"
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Win tournaments in the olympic disciplines or do a digweed, win the world DTL championships and ask the BOC if you can compete.
    Seriously though you need to practise all of the possible disciplines and get entering comps now. CPSA will recognise those that are worth spending money on and hey presto you could be firing at the officers mess at Woolwich!
  13. Try reading this: British Shooting Selection Policies; you're looking for the Shotgun selection policy.

Basically, you're cutting it rather fine. To be in the running for 2012, you have to demonstrate your competitiveness at world level over a while beforehand (say, the 2011 World Cup season). That means you want to be doing World Cup events in 2010 to get yourself used to it; which means you need to be selected for the GB squad as a result of the 2009 season.

So; if you're serious about 2012, you need to find out which domestic competitions are used for selection purposes, and go out and win them next summer; it should get you selected for the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi as a byproduct...

Now, the bad news. The current Performance Director (nice bloke, ex-forces) is of the opinion that you really need to be a semi-professional if you're going to be competitive at world level - and he's right. You aren't going to make it and hold down a full-time job.

Even at Home Country level, you can say goodbye to spending your annual leave on anything other than shooting; you'll be spending most weekends training, and a few evenings every week. You'll be spending the summer on the road, and can expect to clock up several thousand miles and several thousand pounds just attending the selection competitions. The best way to do it is to make sure the wife is as serious about selection as you are :) :)
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Good answer gravelbelly, without the home support it just becomes another expensive hobby, imagine the TA without family support.
    I suspect that having competed (badly) at county level in TR and club level in pistol that the same rules apply across the board. My sons are both decent shots but getting them to put the time in to beat their dad is difficult and I have land, guns and rifles and traps and targets.
    10 pin bowling however is another matter as they both are better than me and they train every week and compete monthly as youths and weekly in an adult league.
    University is a good place to be when competing as generally you will get lots of support.
  15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well done for getting the Shooting Sports forum up chaps!

I'll intro by saying I've got a Tikka M595 in .308, and I'm an RFD. Supa discounts on rifles and kit for fellow ARRSErs!