Kia Leaves A Family Stranded In Germany

This is the best place that I could find to post this thread as it is looslet related to a discount of sorts. After purchasing a Kia Sportage in Oct 11 we have now been left stranded due to the car becoming dangerous to drive with no apparrent fix in the near future. After numerous phonecalls attempting to sort our mobilty issues the following responses have been given:

Kia UK - We are unable to assist due to the car being in Germany.

Kia Germany - We are unable to assist as the car was not purchased in Germany.

The cynic in me thinks Kia is hiding behind international boundaries. Some of you will of course say why are you not using the 12 month RAC that comes with the car. The answer given by Kia UK Customer Services today (all calls are recorded) was that as we are not resident in the UK to use the Kia Assist would be to commit fraud.

Now I do not want to sound alarmist but assuming most of these new car policies are similarly worded does that mean that anyone in the forces communities, outside of mainland UK, that have a new car do so under the false belief that they have complimentary breakdown cover.

I would be interested in any thoughts.

I actually think that Kia are getting their act together, design and quality wise.

I'd suggest quoting EU law at them.

I mean, the EU has got to be good for something, hasn't it?

Your Questions Answered | Kia Motors UK

Q11 In which countries is my car covered

The Kia 7 year warranty is valid in all EEA (European Economic Area) countries except for Bulgaria and Romania.

Q12 Are all dealers participating

Yes - all official Kia franchised dealers throughout the EU will be available to administer and undertake any necessary work under the terms of the warranty.

Can't speak for the European models, but the N American ones are a world apart from the shit that they used to produce. They're built in a spanking new factory down the road from me at West Point, GA. Hyundais a bit further along in Montgomery, AL.

For $15,000 you get a shiny new motor with a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. A mere $1,500 a year for trouble free motoring. That's quite a bit cheaper than Chrysler, GM or Ford will run you.
A mere 1500 dollars jees man do you know how much maintenance that buys if you bought a 5 year old quality car and looked after it. I run old quality cars and change them fairly often, no deprecation to speak of. Comfort and quality and someone else has taken the depreciation hit. Also a more eco friendly option as the energy required to make a new car is far more than the little bit of extra fuel and emissions an older car uses.

A mere 1500 dollars jees man do you know how much maintenance that buys if you bought a 5 year old quality car and looked after it. I run old quality cars and change them fairly often, no deprecation to speak of. Comfort and quality and someone else has taken the depreciation hit. Also a more eco friendly option as the energy required to make a new car is far more than the little bit of extra fuel and emissions an older car uses.
Eh?

The 15k does involve the purchase of the car as well...

Had the same thing with Peugeot with a known fault. Got pissed about from pillar to post. Eventually parked motor up in the gate way to the Pug garage in Germany, informed garage manager in my best 'Shout louder they'll understand you English' that I'd move the car from the entrance as soon as they agree to sort it out. Dealer from Hohne was shit, UK customer services were worse, German garage dude was confused* but helpful.

*Turns out a recall had been sent out but not reached me. German Pug bloke thought recall and repair had been completed by UK based Pug mongs and wasn't his garages problem.

1 - Does your bank account have pan-European cover

2 - Would this have been better in the Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs forum?

Good luck!

It's pretty much agreed that the car is covered by an EU wide warranty but getting another garage to sort out a problem with something they didn't sell is as old as the hills.

If all else fails join the german AA and ask them for report on the car. You can use that to sue KIA.

And yes they are pants.

Speak to Army Legal as regards the supplier and get them into bat for you. They may not be ble to do much but at least they're free!

I have a 7 seat Kia Carens diesel. Comfortable, trouble free and inexpensive drive, plenty of room for my 3 dogs. As I don't need a penis extension at my age can't see why I should drive anything else.

Did you purchase your KIA with a credit card or a credit/loan agreement?

If so you may have the protection of Section 75 Credit Act.

See the Martin Lewis web pages as he gives clear advice on Section 75.

Thankyou to all the people that have been serious about this problem.All agency's involved don't give a damn.Am just trying to highlight the fact that when you buy a tax free car,regardless of make or model who is responsible in events like this? UK where you purchased it or The country you living in? Not only that but what is the point of them giving you RAC European cover when in actual fact you can only use this product abroad if your'e on holiday because although we all use an English address at some point we are not residents of UK therefore like the lady at Kia UK informed me if I call out the breakdown service I am in fact commiting fraud.

Moral: Don't buy sh1t cars.

Fit it with a tow hitch, and use it as a trailer.

If Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act applies you could end up with the full price of the car credited to your account even if you have only paid the deposit and a few monthly payments.

The credit card company (and possible loan company, I have only dealth with credit cards companies) have a equal liabillity for the problem. (Some VISA cards have the same protection).

Write to the credit card company and quote Section 75 etc as per the Martin Lewis money website.

The cedit card company may fob you off but continue with the claim all the way to the Ombudsman, who is very supportive and helpful.

Problems you have described are not a new issue concerning squaddies and cars in Germany purchased in the UK or the other way around.

I know of a Major who paid for a new car to be delivered to Germany from the UK, ordered and paid for in JHQ, Germany in DM's, only for the supplier to disapear with the cash and no car supplied. Problem solved by UK main importer who was contacted and advised in no uncertain terms of the bad PR that could follow and a possible boycott of their products by BAOR personnel in the early 80's. (This was a big issue then full front page cover on the BAOR newspapers).

I had a similar problem in the UK by taking a RHD tax free purchased car from Germany and having a major componet failing within the guarentee period. The UK garage who normally serviced the car refused to fix it under the guarentee. With a bit of digging around I found the car had been imported into the UK first then shipped to Germany so the UK Importers accepted liabillity.

So in short if it cost over £100 use your credit card even if it is only the deposit.