Khyber pass copy martini rifles

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by smoojalooge, Sep 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently in afghanistan and have access to a stock of these I am posting to see if there is anybody out there interested in purchasing any.

Khyber pass copies are roughly made handmade copies of martini-enfield rifles Their resale value is limited and i would not recommend trying to fire one. However they are nice interest pieces.

So I'm looking into the legalities and practicalities of bringing more than one back at the moment If the interest level is high enough and it is cost effective to do so.

Anybody interested can either post or pm me
  2. Its legal. But you will need to stop at souter (kabul) on your way home and see the capt bloke there!
  3. from what i've been told i can get it cleared where i am however not sure on the practicalities of getting a number out if the interest is there

plus it has to be cost effective for me
  4. I see. May i suggest you just flog genuine taliban ear necklace's instead???
  5. Best of luck.
    I have seen a 'Perfect' copy of a Martini carbine, made by a person in UK.
    An old engineer and it was a work of art.
    Done to show just what Brit backyard enginnering can do.
  6. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Are they .577/450 or are they .303 chambered?

If they are .303 not only are they illegal but also very dangerous.

Is there anyone out there qualified to satisfy the current UK deactivation laws.

If they are 577/450 they don't need deactivating nor to be held on an FAC unless the owners intention is to fire it.
  7. I'm in the process of finding this out the one i have at the moment is stamped as a martini enfield so likely to be .303 also this one may be an original as it appears machine made with correct markings but I'm still researching it
  8. Easy way to find out -- get a ruler and measure across the end of the barrel. If it's around 0.3 inch, it's 303, if it is around 0.45 inch, it's .577/450. To check and be absolutely sure, open the breech. If you can stick your finger in, it's .577/450, and I want one.
  9. If you want to make a good business without legal complications, bring back a shed-load of old Lee Enfield woodwork - particularly forends for Long Lees and No1 mkIIIs with the volley sight plates. Theres a Khyber industry in making fake Enfields but incorporating genuine parts - its work buying the crap rifles and stripping them for the Brit parts.....

Edited to comment that I can't believe I got away with typing the word "crap"... the filters must be having Sunday off....
  10. Try this link for Info. if still .303 you must have a firearm certificate with a space for a .303 to bring it back for personal import. bring in more and you will need a Department fo Trade and industry import licence. the guns would then have to be sumitted to British Proof house and proof fired. If they fail then it would be your loss and they could only De-activated and sold deactivation needs to be submitted to the proof house as well which is about £45 per gun plus import duty etc. not worth the hassle.
  11. Isn't there a town almost totally devoted to gunmaking in a sort of cottage industry style?

Darra El Kebar or something similar? Perhaps it's on the Pakistani side of the border though?

Surely they would be willing to manufacture them as decorators (i.e. solid barrrels, no firing pin or whatever), they'd probably be cheaper due to the simpilfied construction.
  12. Not somewhere you could stroll up too for an impromtu looksee though.

Might find yourself in hot water.........
  13. I suspect that a lot of the value in these things will be due to the type of markings shown on them; by this I am referring to a rifle with a date of 1932 and Queen Victoria's cypher on it, or a serial No with say, "9" on it's side!
    All this aside it has been suggested that some of the current crop of items appearing have been made to accomadate the large number of troops in the region and do not have the air of "quality" ?!? 8O about them that they did some 80 years ago.
    And like all things in life price has to play it's part, I bought a superb looking Martini Henry MkVI from Fultons about two years ago for £775 (Nepealse marked) and since then a number of Nepalese marked rifles have been found in Nepal, sold to the USA market and are now filtering their way back, I have seen them dependent on condition from £500~£699.
    A good bit of history I suppose, but at a price.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not the sort of price you'd want to risk firing it?