Khat to be Banned

Aye, because everyone that uses it will stop because they've been told it's naughty.

And nobody who runs rackets will start running khat now too, and make money that they might spend on... Oh I dunno, nice things, or Klashnikovs or something.

Ridiculous. It's about as dangerous as a double Espresso. More posturing from politicians with nothing better to do, creating more profit for the inevitable smugglers who will gain from the ban. Is strong cider banned? No. And look how a lot of people behave after getting that down on a Friday. What you put down your head should be your business, and you should take the consequences.

Used to see locals in APL using it back in the day,wouldn't touch a tin of beer,mind,never mind drink it.

"The decision goes against the recommendation of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), the government's official advisory body.

In January the ACMD said khat should remain a legal substance, saying there was "insufficient evidence" it caused health problems."

Says it all really.

The decision goes against the recommendation of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), the government's official advisory body.

In January the ACMD said khat should remain a legal substance, saying there was "insufficient evidence" it caused health problems.

But Home Secretary Theresa May has decided to ban it, BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said.
Alcohol causes a huge number of proven health issues, and the effects of alcoholism are widely known, but we don't ban that.

Cigarettes are nothing but a slow and expensive way to commit suicide, but we don't ban them.

Prohibition of a relatively safe substance doesn't appear to achieve anything. I think we should introduce a ban on banning stuff.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
"The decision goes against the recommendation of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), the government's official advisory body.

In January the ACMD said khat should remain a legal substance, saying there was "insufficient evidence" it caused health problems."

Says it all really.
Well if they make too much noise they get sacked like Prof. Nutt.

Says it all really.
Too right. The experts have given their opinion, they should legalise cannabis too.

So a teenager chewing the cud on some Khat is bad, but the same teenager amped out of his brains on 6 cans of Red Bull is OK?

On the Housing Benefit reform thread, I mentioned the possibility that that the reforms were more geared towards making those who weren't fond of "benefit scroungers" feel all warm and fuzzy than in actually doing anything about "benefit scroungers" and the overall cost of the welfare state.

Well, this legislation is going to annoy "certain folks" which will by default, make readers of a particular Associated Newspapers publication chortle into their real ale this weekend.

Ho-hum.

Some suggesting those animals in Woolwich were on this stuff.
Some people took a substance and did bad things, therefore the substance itself is bad. Your logic is flawless. If I drank 3 litres of coffee and butchered your family, would you sue Nescafe?

Be a lot less disgusting behaviour like gobbing round the streets of London hopefully.
Alcohol causes antisocial behaviour and results in puke and piss all over the place. I presume you advocate a ban on that also?

Alcohol causes a huge number of proven health issues, and the effects of alcoholism are widely known, but we don't ban that.

Cigarettes are nothing but a slow and expensive way to commit suicide, but we don't ban them.

Prohibition of a relatively safe substance doesn't appear to achieve anything. I think we should introduce a ban on banning stuff.
Exactly.

The ACMD once made a graph - it is as follows:

If we take long-legal alcohol and tobacco as a baseline, I can't see any logical justification for banning anything that is lower and to the left of those.

Not to mention that there's a significant justification for legalising substances - ecstasy for one would probably be much safer if it was controlled, so that it'd be pure and people would know how much they were getting.

Alcohol causes antisocial behaviour and results in puke and piss all over the place. I presume you advocate a ban on that also?

It would help if they simply enforced the d&d laws in the first place.....

Having had one or two hairy experiences with qat-chewing denizens in the horn of africa, I'm not convinced its that harmless when applied to individuals who lack any UK-style social conditioning.

On the Housing Benefit reform thread, I mentioned the possibility that that the reforms were more geared towards making those who weren't fond of "benefit scroungers" feel all warm and fuzzy than in actually doing anything about "benefit scroungers" and the overall cost of the welfare state.

Well, this legislation is going to annoy "certain folks" which will by default, make readers of a particular Associated Newspapers publication chortle into their real ale this weekend.

Ho-hum.
There does seem to be a deliberate tendency towards 'decisive action'. That sort of law-making is played out in the US, where 'zero-tolerance' laws are a popular way for low-level politicians to grandstand.

The end result are some really stupid laws and a sometimes mind-boggling level of bureaucracy in everyday life.

It would help if they simply enforced the d&d laws in the first place.....

Having had one or two hairy experiences with qat-chewing denizens in the horn of africa, I'm not convinced its that harmless when applied to individuals who lack any UK-style social conditioning.
But is there any suggestion that they wouldn't have been cúnts if they weren't on khat?

I've had plenty of hairy experiences with people on alcohol.

I'd also suggest that khat/qat isn't the problem...