Kharki SD forage caps

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Selfpreservationsociety, Apr 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Obviously one wants one's SD cap to look dashingly floppy, having said this, how does one shape ones cap. Mine had one previous less than carefull owner and it now needs reshaping. HOW?

2. fly up high, high, high in your spitfire, complete 50 dashingly daring missions....then giggle as you are finally allowed to wear your forage cap under your earphones, making it wonderfully floppy...

3. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

The method I was taught was to wrap a well dampened towel around the offending article, crushing the sides down - and leave in a warm place (e.g. airing cupboard.) The damp gets into the cap, allows the material to be reshaped (like steam ironing) and evaporates leaving the cap and towel dry with the cap nicely crushed down at the sides.

Rumour has it that less traditional methods exist, such as using a bent coathanger pushed around the top rim and then formed into the desired shape...

4. Dress hats are there to look smart! Stick cardboard in to the top and make a large round hard flat shape!!!

5. I once did that with t'beret Waaaaay back in the day with the cadets...it works wonders, but its a bitch to roll up (or dont!)

6. 'Course it would be better if one learnt to spell khaki.

7. Go and buy a new one you tight aresd pompus twat.

8. Take it to Herbert Johnson or James Lock and Co and ask them to shape it for you.

The coathanger method works but also tends to make you look a Viz Bottom Inspector

9. Easy tiger!

10. What are you? Some kind of demented Guards type???

This is my method...get your cap, wet the top (like a beret) and wrap your stable belt round it, crusing the sides down nicely. You must be careful to have the belt shaping the cap properly so time spent here is not wasted!!! Proceed to leave it til it drys and HEY PRESTO! A nicely shaped cap.

Enjoy! :D

11. I employed a similar method, but used wide brown packing tape instead of a belt. I found it easier to get the pressure even all the way along the cap.

12. Coat hanger "over the top" looks pants and is uncomfortable. Put a coat hanger wire around the top (i.e. circular styley) and then bend and shape. Works a treat, I used this method man and boy!

13. get your man to do it for you