KGB influence soars under Putin

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Dec 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

I asure you that my father (a former colonel of KGB) lives in a modest way in a wooden house in country-side 100 km outside of Moscow and have a pension less than 300 Pounds per month.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

What's your point, Sergey? That he is one of the uncorruptables and didn't line his pockets or that he wasn't competent enough to get picked up for some of these latter day posts and is bitter and twisted about it?
  3. I think that what Sergey is trying to say is that the financial 'game' the russian secret services are playing or are insinuated to have at their disposal may well be overestimated and also many KGB officers took their duty seriously without gaining great wealth from doing their duty!

Feel free to correct me Sergey.
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Stop being nice to Sergey. I like crossing swords with him on matters like this. You always get a better answer from him if you do a bit of winding up first, particularly if he is playing down the internal problems of Mother Russia under Putin. :D
  5. Sergey, is this your way of hinting you've been offered a new job? :D
  6. KGB influence 'soars under Putin'- Well Duh
  7. I don't think that a private life of my relatives is worth to be discussed here. However, my father is indeed uncorruptible and he is a live example for me all my life. He is a true Soldier.

As you see BBC published this article with a clear intention to portray Russia as a police state, using for this purpose more than doubtful 'investigations'.

BBC lies as it now uses to do. There is no so called 'the Centre for the Study of the Elite' inside (indeed presigious) Russian Academy of Science.

Mrs.Kryshtanovskaya is not a member of Russian Academy of Science (so she is not an academic in this sense).
  8. Yes it is curious how bashing Russia recently has replaced the anti muslim tirade in the established media, all of the semi retired Soviet Union experts and newspaper headlines are being dusted off, making lazy journalism easier and in the eyes of the establishment the growth of the BNP less likely.

Also PR companies employed by the likes of Shell are also stirring things up, as Russia chooses to review the outrageously unfair Oil ,Gas and Mineral contracts drawn up in the dark days of the mid 90’s.
  9. Anyone who doubts the influence of ex-KGB people in today's Russia needs to get out a bit more. They run it, lock, stock and both smoking barrels.

And if the Russian government doesn't like the agreements signed in the 1990s, it's only got itself to blame - nobody put a gun to their heads and said "sign or else." I'd quite like to renegotiate my mortgage too, but I don't suppose Nat West will say sure, how about 2% interest? The 1990s were tremendously unstable and risky, and those firms who invested did so in a very uncertain climate, and the rewards they reap reflect that. Remember what a barrel of oil cost in 1997?

Vlad and his mates might think they are big and clever kicking all these guys in the b*llocks now, but when foreign investment has dried up in five years and all the domestic, state-run outfits are running these projects into the ground with their usual corrupt, inept style, I think they might live to regret it. But hey, since when has anyone in power in Russia ever thought beyond next week and how much they can steal?
  10. Imagine if ex-SS, ex-SA and ex Gestapo people had had such an influence in West Germany in the 50s and 60s, with the President being a senior ex SS or Gestapo man.

In the case of Russia, we are fundamentally talking about exactly the same thing.

Russia is now suffering for its failure to carry out a thorough denazification (decommunisation) process.
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

As someone said earlier - Duh!!!

Corrupt and self serving is what history will show them to be and they were hardly known for their honesty and integrety in the past were they - despite KGBs claims about his fathers sainthood.
  12. Stoatman - the difference here is that the Soviet union collapsed and wasn't destroyed during war leaving their 'services' to continue./

By the way, in the British sector the allies, british, helped ex SD policemen and Gestapo men back into positions of power within the 'new' police. They had to - they were the only german trained police with experience!!!

Do a bit of research on Duesseldorfs 1st police chief after WW2.
  13. Also do a bit of research on the Head of CID in Celle until 1978, Kriminalhauptkommisar Karl-Heinz Müller, who was sentenced to death in absentia by a French court shortly after WWII for atrocities committed as a member of the SS.

14. Or you could widen the remit and say 50,s.60's,70's and 80's?

Oh sorry, then we wouldn't have to imagine former Nazis or members of the Nazi Security apparatus still being in positions of influence in West Germany up to the fall of the wall.
  15. Sergei, I thought the KGB was split to become the FSB and SVR? Is that correct?