Keyboard warrior upsets the Brass

I searched but could not find a link...

Soldier charged after 'going rogue' during computer game on virtual battlefield

Three weeks of gaming - I could just wish for at the moment but apparently, the Brass don't like it when someone returns a result on their training scenarios based around virtual reality, should I understand the situation correctly.

I hope the soldier had fun!

Army training being called into training once again and a serious question - how much did the VR suite and associated graphics cost? Part of being in the reserves for myself was to be transported to parts such as Warcop et al and bimble and 'play' in the hills to my hearts content; stuck in an office environment for a reported three weeks would do even my skull in.

Surely a virtual punishment then?

...or CCTV duties as extras?

Takes me back to NIRT and every man and his dog being on the early judgemental training on the big screen. How many times was that priest slotted? :)

Whoops. To be honest though, it does suggest that while simulated exercises are useful, the attention span and maturity of the personnel being made to use them might not be up to scratch.

Always remember in Brecon 1992.
That chap Sir P de la Billière bought the whole HQ the Lemmings game . However you could only play it “well that’s what we were told” during a coffee break or over lunch.

I feel for the lad. I hate computer games.

I feel for the lad. I hate computer games.
I think it comes down to that old doozie with regards to the young lad.... "You might not like it but you still have to be a grown up and take it seriously".

I checked to see it wasn't 01 April :p
I also looked for the date. WTF were the officers doing whilst the blokes were ''gaming'' and, serious question, should we be gaming killing people? I don't have the intellect for the depth this debate should dive to but, somehow Mark Carlton Smythe (sp) thinks that it is damn wrong for soldiers to engage in unacceptable activity and yet allows his training regime to encourage activity which allows engagement in wanton distruction via VR with a stint in the guardhouse on duties. Well, game on then.

What are the leadership thinking? There are some great hill ranges around Edinburgh and weather should ensure that everyone comes back knackered and filthy ready for sleep, why are we not using the natural environment to train our people to fight in the... natural environment?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I also looked for the date. WTF were the officers doing whilst the blokes were ''gaming'' and, serious question, should we be gaming killing people?

What are the leadership thinking? There are some great hill ranges around Edinburgh and weather should ensure that everyone comes back knackered and filthy ready for sleep, why are we not using the natural environment to train our people to fight in the... natural environment?
It's essentially just an up-gunned DCCT though, surely?

I also looked for the date. WTF were the officers doing whilst the blokes were ''gaming'' and, serious question, should we be gaming killing people? I don't have the intellect for the depth this debate should dive to but, somehow Mark Carlton Smythe (sp) thinks that it is damn wrong for soldiers to engage in unacceptable activity and yet allows his training regime to encourage activity which allows engagement in wanton distruction via VR with a stint in the guardhouse on duties. Well, game on then.

I don't quite see it that way, though I see your point. The simulation should be used to support and augment the real life exercises. Especially if, for whatever reason, they can't get out on the training areas (Foot and Mouth, extreme weather, conflicting timescales etc) as well as to introduce newer concepts in a safe environment.

It's down to discipline and maturity on the behalf of the Soldiers using the simulations to behave as if it was a real event. The flippancy he has shown here may be a sign of immaturity that could raise its head elsewhere when it really matters. This lad has clearly not engaged as expected and his CoC maybe need to do a re-evaluation of how they use the simulators and also whether he needs more work.

I think it comes down to that old doozie with regards to the young lad.... "You might not like it but you still have to be a grown up and take it seriously".
Two weeks though! Whilst there are those who would love to be paid to 'game' for a fortnight, there are others it would seriously send round the bend.

Yes take it seriously but, at least use it only as a training tool, not a replacement for the real thing, ie. one day virtual, one day real thing, etc.

Two weeks though! Whilst there are those who would love to be paid to 'game' for a fortnight, there are others it would seriously send round the bend.

Yes take it seriously but, at least use it only as a training tool, not a replacement for the real thing, ie. one day virtual, one day real thing, etc.
True, and I see your point, however, the simulator is what they have been instructed to use and use it they must.

I agree though. It seems a bit odd not to combine it with real life practice to reinforce the habits/skills. We do something similar on the project I'm involved in.... run the simulator to get the basic practice in for the various components and assembly before doing it for real on the things. Cuts down screw ups on what are horrifically expensive bits of kit.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer

Which is fair but if the story is to be believed (The Telegraph has far less integrity than it had) then they were simulating being in armoured vehs in a hostile built-up area.

Not sure how you replicate that in Edinburgh.

Go to Niddrie or Granton maybe?

Which is fair but if the story is to be believed (The Telegraph has far less integrity than it had) then they were simulating being in armoured vehs in a hostile built-up area.

To be honest, they could alway go on the rampage in Scumdee in Warriors.... I doubt anybody would tell the difference if damage was done.

So, scenario got the Night of the Long-knives, rather than the Kobayashi Maru treatment.

Which is fair but if the story is to be believed (The Telegraph has far less integrity than it had (+1)) then they were simulating being in armoured vehs in a hostile built-up area.

Easter Road when Hibs at home?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Did all the virtual bad guys look like Corbyn, if not, why not?
someone suggested using Abbot...then they saw the price of the monitors they'd need...

1554662464301.png