• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Kevin Crilly cleared of Captain Robert Nairac murder

BBC 1st April
A County Armagh man has been cleared of the murder of undercover soldier Captain Robert Nairac 33 years ago.

Kevin Crilly, 60, from Lowerfoughill Road, Jonesborough, was accused of the murder of Captain Nairac between 13 and 16 May 1977.

The undercover soldier was abducted from a bar at Drumintee in south Armagh in May 1977 before being killed.

On Friday, a judge at Belfast Crown Court cleared Mr Crilly of involvement in the murder.

As well as the murder charge, Mr Crilly was cleared of four other charges, including kidnapping and false imprisonment.

BBC News - Kevin Crilly cleared of Captain Robert Nairac murder

That may be so, but Capt Nairac's ( RIP) case file is very much active, albeit in the hands of PSNI's historic crimes team. To misappropriate a PIRA saying - " It hasn't gone away ye'know".

That may be so, but Capt Nairac's ( RIP) case file is very much active, albeit in the hands of PSNI's historic crimes team. To misappropriate a PIRA saying - " It hasn't gone away ye'know".
What is your opinion of the chances of someone else being charged in connection with this case.
Mine is that it's highly unlikely due to several reasons.
The political will is not there.
The length of time that has elapsed since the murder.
The lack of funds for the HET to pursue cases.
The lack of forensics & witnesses.

Also I think Crilly was only charged due to the Spotlight investigations which put the case back into public view.

What is your opinion of the chances of someone else being charged in connection with this case.

Also I think Crilly was only charged due to the Spotlight investigations which put the case back into public view.
It may well be that it's highly unlikely that anyone else will be brought to justice, but there is always a chance.

The case will remain on file as long as a Nairc family member wishes it to be so. When I last looked, it was Bob's sister. Your points are well made. The RUC / PSNI already know the players involved in this heinous affair. It may yet fail to reach a courtroom but I live in hope as well. I surmise that the murderers will contact the family to ask for forgiveness. Implausible? Up until her death, I was in regular touch with a lady whose son was brutilised and subsequently murdered by PIRA, she had a telephone call from her son's killer asking for forgiveness. You just never know. Anyway, they'll stand before their God and that's the judgement that really matters.

T

Tremaine

Just heard this on the radio and looked up the News. Definitely involved but apparently "not enough evidence". Was confusing this with Westmacott / Ormeau Road. Well, three down, hopefully one more down the line. How many of us read up on this in the Province afterwards or knew someone who went walkies with a beard and an accent?

Whether this should be said or not, but fcuk it anyway, Nairac, balls of steel and just one of the admirable nutjobs that stuck their neck out. No offence.

The case will remain on file as long as a Nairc family member wishes it to be so. When I last looked, it was Bob's sister. Your points are well made. The RUC / PSNI already know the players involved in this heinous affair. It may yet fail to reach a courtroom but I live in hope as well. I surmise that the murderers will contact the family to ask for forgiveness. Implausible? Up until her death, I was in regular touch with a lady whose son was brutilised and subsequently murdered by PIRA, she had a telephone call from her son's killer asking for forgiveness. You just never know. Anyway, they'll stand before their God and that's the judgement that really matters.
Your comment about the RUC/PSNI is so true,not only in this case,but in lots of the other cases as well,and they too will probably never end up in prosecution,unfortunately.There are so many families of victims who will never see justice for their loved ones,but as you say we can only live in hope. One very good thing about the HET is that they give the families a report of their investigations,even if no prosecution occurs,which can help the families find some answers to what happened to their loved ones.How long this will last, no one is sure, as funding for the HET was due to end this month,but it has now got a two year reprieve.

For anyone interested here is a link to the HET website :
Introduction from the Chief Constable | Police Service of Northern Ireland

And this link about the funding of HET :
Historical Enquiries Team probing Troubles murders wins reprieve - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

I once encountered a Them in NI who had been given the kicking of his life by a Marine Patrol who carried out a stop and search on a "boggie" and found a weapon. He was lucky to survive.

I once encountered a Them in NI who had been given the kicking of his life by a Marine Patrol who carried out a stop and search on a "boggie" and found a weapon. He was lucky to survive.
On the meths at 08:44? Or has Tropper hijacked your account?

Either way, your post wins the "Full of Shit" award for 2011. Now toodle off and take your head for a wobble.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Not words I ever heard a lot of 'Man from South Armagh found Not Guilty' and he probably would have been straight out after the GFA.

On the meths at 08:44? Or has Tropper hijacked your account?

Either way, your post wins the "Full of Shit" award for 2011. Now toodle off and take your head for a wobble.
Of course you'd know wouldn't you? Instead of making sweeping statements of which you haven't a clue why don't you take a moment to think that maybe such an event did happen. So instead of being a boorish, insufferable oaf why don't you keep your ignorance to yourself and your immediate family who can, presumably tolerate you.
I'm obviously not going to quote dates and units involved because, even at this distance it is not right that I should do so. This is an incident that happened. NO meths and no Tropper, just evidently outside your scope of comprehension.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
79/80 During a period of learning to talk incredibly slowly so the English had some sort of clue as to what I was talking about. I was approached by a person and asked if I fancied a pint. He asked about where I was from, what I was doing there (nothing more than SB used to do as I got off the Liverpool boat) and asked if I had ever heard of someone called Nairac. This was new. It turned out that he too was from Ampleforth. I told him what an amazingly pretty place South Armagh is in spring and summer. Dredged up what I could remember on the Nairac tale. I also sat there transfixed as he merrily (and a heck of a nice guy) chatted away. Thinking that if this or anything like him turned up anywhere outside Lisburn or the Culloden hotel he would get a second look as in 'WTF planet is he from'?
Still to this day I wonder about Nairac (and his sanity) claiming to be a sticky (from somewhere like Ardoyne. where they were thin on the ground) and sitting in a pub in South Armagh. Even yet there are large lumps of this province where I would rather not spend a saturday night especially where drink was flowing. Nairac without doubt a strange one. And one I would still like to be around to hear the full story about.

T

Tremaine

Markintime's anecdote was wholly in the context of this thread, it's not beyond belief and wouldn't be the worst example. Neither would bumping in to all sorts of people in the Province be unusual, out on the ground. First hand experience does not a walt, make. Just saying.

Markintime's anecdote was wholly in the context of this thread, it's not beyond belief and wouldn't be the worst example. Neither would bumping in to all sorts of people in the Province be unusual, out on the ground. First hand experience does not a walt, make. Just saying.
Markintime's "anecdote" is not in the context of this thread. How is a bullshit tale told to a gullible recruit about an incident which never happened germane to the very real instance of a brave (but foolhardy) Guard's officer being murdered by the IRA? If the tale had been about him on a VCP and stopping either soldiers on special duties or some scrotes implicated in the murder of Capt Nairac and having to let them go/give them a good kicking then it would have been within the context of this thread.

However the skiplicker was just spouting bullshit. If you believe his story then I have some Nigerian friends who are waiting to give you 204,435,245 USD in used notes if you can help them get it out of Africa for them.

T

Tremaine

Dread, hasty post there huh? A few retorts best not posted in your direction fella, it's only a web site and the thread doesn't need it. Read the post again, admit you've no proof and get off your soap box.

I'm tempted to err on the side of caution and think Markintime may be lying.

They only way he will change my mind is by admitting that he (MiT) is on overweight, 'tashe sporting, Gulf 1 story telling ****** who is married to an overweight blonde(ish) bird. Then and only then will I know for sure that he has spaketh the truth.

Markintime's "anecdote" is not in the context of this thread. How is a bullshit tale told to a gullible recruit about an incident which never happened germane to the very real instance of a brave (but foolhardy) Guard's officer being murdered by the IRA? If the tale had been about him on a VCP and stopping either soldiers on special duties or some scrotes implicated in the murder of Capt Nairac and having to let them go/give them a good kicking then it would have been within the context of this thread.

However the skiplicker was just spouting bullshit. If you believe his story then I have some Nigerian friends who are waiting to give you 204,435,245 USD in used notes if you can help them get it out of Africa for them.
Believe what you will I suppose you think that this tirade will give you some sort of credibility, with those more gullible on here. I know nothing about gullible recruits unless you are trying to say that I heard the story from someone else and believed it on face value. My trade was as a medic, I treated the soldier in question.
To me you're just a no mark insurance salesman who tries to give himself some sort of authority that he knows every aspect of every undercover op that has ever been carried out by SF in NI over nearly forty years. I can only assume that you have never served, or certainly never served in any operational role in NI because most of those who served will have some experience of SF ops in the Province.
You choose to resort to calling me names on no other evidence than you have decided that I lied. I've absolutely no idea why you should think I'm lying or what I might hope to gain by doing so. The point I was making was that people like Nairac often acted completely on their own and stood in as much Jeopardy from 'friendlies' as they did from the 'enemy'. Testament to the extreme bravery of these people. Still, you believe non of it so in effect you disrespect Capt Nairac by insinuating that he was a loner acting in a way that was different to others in his trade and that he maybe took risks he shouldn't have. Perhaps he did but there were others taking exactly the same risks that he took because that was how things were done then.
Never assume that because someone has had an experience that you haven't that they tell lies. The soldier I dealt with was taken by civvy ambulance to RVH and I was part of a team that was sent to quietly move him from RVH to MPH because in a civvy hospital it was far more likely that awkward questions would be asked because, even in NI people had relatives and medical histories.
BTW please don't flatter yourself that I'm justifying myself to you, just setting the record straight. I also promise that if you post anything on here about your experiences fleecing the unwary that I wont start screaming liar liar because I know next to nothing about the insurance industry, unlike you I prefer to stick to my own area of expertise and experience.

With MiT on this one, and fibs or no fibs things happened. Best to say nowt as the Waltenkommando tend to wet their undercrackers. If Dread's an insurance salesman never served, IF he is, he'd be best keeping quiet on things he knows feck all about, just IMO.

Latest Threads