Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FrankCastle, Aug 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this has been Posted before; I've heard good things about KettleBell training and thinking of giving it a go. Anyone here tried it?
  2. Cheers, mate! :D

There's a guy who runs a Kettlebell class in Edinburgh, I'm trying to get in touch with him for information on his classes.
  3. No problem mate,its very good exercise and its good old fashioned stuff,none of those flashy machines,that crazy Russian Pavel is mad for em as well
  4. I practice the Martial Arts and a lot of the guys into Grappling - MMA, BJJ etc - are starting to use them because they are supposed to develop "functunal strength" better than barbells and dumbells, though of course you can combine all three.

Plus, it looked cool when Stallone used one in Rocky Balboa! :D
  5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Hopefully without coming across as an arse, what on earth are kettlebells?

Serious question.
  6. Basically they are cannonballs with handles,have a look at the link I gave to FrankCastle
  7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Cheers mate. Didn't notice the link.
  8. Good link, Rhodesian, but I was surprised by the claim the KB's were used by Greeks and Gladiators; I thought they were invented by the Ivans a few hundred years ago.

I know that the Greeks invented a form of dumbell.
  9. I think the sweaty's had a lot to do with them as well mate,its well worth going to a good class,otherwise you tend to try a bell thats too heavy and get put off a couple of 16's banjaxed me when I first started!
  10. Sweaty Socks - Jocks?

Outstanding - that means I'm genetically predisposed to train with Kettlebells! :twisted:

I'm definately going to a class. No way I'd try to "wing it".
  11. Chances are your instructor will know Stan Pike (intense fitness),I bet you ache the next morning,best of luck mate
  12. Cheers! :D

Just spoke to the bloke on the 'phone. He advised me to buy myself a 16k Kettlebell, then bring it along to his class so I can learn the routines.
    The class he runs is mainly for women, so they only use 8kilo KB's.

Looking forward to trying it. :D
  13. It will seem a lot heavier,no honestly mate you will enjoy it