KETOSIS

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by mwl946, Feb 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Not sure if posted in correct place, but perhaps someone here can help me.

I have a friend in TA who is currently losing weight, very successfully, by following a low carbohydrate diet. This however causes large amounts of ketones and a trace of protein to be present in her urine on testing.

She is shortly to take up an FTRS post. When attending Chilwell, would the presence of ketones etc in her urine cause her to fail the medical?? She is reluctant to come off the diet as it is working so well for her.

Many thanks

2. I have a question, I've got this 'mate'. If, when he has a blood test, all the results are off the chart, but 'he' can think of a vaguely plausible explaination, can he still join the Army?

3. mwl946

thanks for that helpful reply

4. He/She should be under the care of her GP whilst on such a diet and should take evidence from them stating that she is capable of continuing to perform her current level of work.

However if the job shes/hes going to is deployable then.... probably not.

Hope thats slightly more helpful.

5. mwl946

Thank you. No not deploying and currently downgraded medically due to her weight. Is following this diet with her doc s blessing, so will suggest she gets certification from him prior to attending Chillwell.

6. I'm not surprised at the ketosis.
    Low carb diets are all very well, but once the body has burned its quick acting energy it then starts on the fat reserves and hence ketosis.

Just how low is the carb diet? Not the atkins diet is it?

7. mwl946

Not as extreme as the atkins but carbohydrate strictly limited to "low GI" carbs (whole grains, nuts etc) and lower carb veg and fruits.

Since my initial post she has been in communication directly with the med centre at Chilwell and has spoken to one of the doctors to clarify the situation and is acting on their advice.

8. Downgrading for weight issues is not allowed. Fcukin ridiculous, she is not ill she is fat, which tw@t of an MO downgraded her? Whoever it is needs to get a grip. :x

9. Oh sorry i was supposed to be helpful aswell!! It wouldn't normally cause a problem as long as her weightloss is documented and managed by an MO, but then if her MO downgrades her for being overweight who knows what might happen!

10. Seconded, weight issues are self inflicted, the nanny culture pats fatty's on the head and coos, "It's okay love, it's not your fault, it's a disease. Let's spend lots of tax payers money fighting this together."

I've a prescription for your friend: Cut out the nut job diet, cut down on your portions and get down the gym, it's not hard to do

11. Fatness is an illness. It's classed as 'the inability to refrain from stuffing your fat moon face with lard based products'

Of course she should have been downgraded. Think herself lucky - in my Utopia she'd be used as fuel.

12. So you would have her classed as fit and open for promotion etc would you? If you don't downgrade such people you could be the one trying to compensate for lard arrses inability to do her job.

13. We're (the Army) so short numbered, down graded personnel get promoted anyway

14. Only in the loggies. What with all the non English speakers, rug munchers and PFT phobists you've not much to choose from.

15. mwl946

My apologies, I understood I posted in a serious forum, not the NAAFI.