Kepler Planets - 5 times more prevalent

Coo.......

Earth-Size Alien Planets Common Across the Universe, Study Suggests | Space.com

The Goldilocks Zone - 'Not too hot, not too cold, not too big, not too small ....Juuuust right !'

Excellent.
The universe must be full of life... I have always stated that we on Earth are nothing special. Just like transient fungi on a damp floating ball of dust...the emergence of consciousness is probably an inevitable part of the process. We give it too much importance...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Dear H-B

I have no intention of getting into a futile debate with you over the existence/non-existence of deities singular or plural on the back of an astronomical observation.

Your soul is your own - enjoy.

I think Arthur summed it up nicely:

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
― Arthur C. Clarke

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Cf ' Footfall ' :-D

In the 60s and 70s ( think early 'Star Trek') SF writers etc were busily trying to convince us all that First Contact would be an entirely pink and fluffy experience for the human race.....er..... :-D

Personally the idea of an un-peopled galaxy just waiting for Homo Insapiens to get out and colonise , ravage and despoil is a hell of a lot more attractive than the alternative - Earth as a sort of rabid prison planet that our neighbours try and avoid at all costs and hope we will all eventually just go away and die.

In the 60s and 70s ( think early 'Star Trek') SF writers etc were busily trying to convince us all that First Contact would be an entirely pink and fluffy experience for the human race.....er..... :-D

Personally the idea of an un-peopled galaxy just waiting for Homo Insapiens to get out and colonise , ravage and despoil is a hell of a lot more attractive than the alternative - Earth as a sort of rabid prison planet that our neighbours try and avoid at all costs and hope we will all eventually just go away and die.
If we're really unlucky, cf "The Killing Star".

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
the moment humans learned to travel at relativistic speeds was the moment mankind simply became too dangerous a neighbor to have around. Nothing personal.
...or indeed Brian Aldiss's Hothouse

ACAB

LE
I would hazard a guess that any 'first contact' would resemble 'Independence Day' rather than 'ET' unfortunately.

Shame it would take us, at our present maximum velocity, about hundred and twenty million years to reach the nearest one...

Don't book your tickets yet, boys.

tac

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
well, the optimistic view is that any ET's with the technical capability to get here will be above all that conquering other worlds stuff and be all peace and love and 'here, help yourselves to our advanced technology.'

the pessimistic view is the 'to serve man/V/footfall' view. if it is like V, can I be the first to welcome our lizard overlords?? (especially if they all look like Diana...)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm always reminded of the aliens in ' Mars Attacks ' when I read this stuff :-D Gleefully wasting everyone in sight ...ack,ackack!

Missed the Radio 4 dramatisation of Hothouse, which I read as a spotty 16 year old - back when hairy mammoths were just the RAGE man.

But I was somehow immensely cheered to hear on the very same Home Service broadcast that the dull-as-feck types based at one of the South Pole scientific have an annual showing of John Carpenter's chiller ' The Thing ' !

well done guys.

So first contact will be via Jarrods slippers. :)

I should think that we will be treated in the same way that we treat laboratory monkeys, we'll the lucky ones will be. The rest won't be of much use to a star fairing species.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
We have the Drake Equation to predict the number of intelligent civilisations in the galaxy.

Drake.jpg

Of the terms in the equation we now have a reasonably good grasp of the first two: number of stars and number of stars with planets. We might hazard a trial estimate of the third - number of planets suitable for life. The other four terms are complete guesswork.

We'll probably firm up the estimate of the third term - number of planets supporting life - over the next 10 to 20 years. That'll be when space based telescopes develop the capability to detect the composition of any atmosphere around the planet. If there's an oxygen containing atmosphere on the planet it probably supports life - but maybe only primitive bacteria.

Wordsmith

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
hee - only if silicon based lifeforms prefer places without oxygen :)

All still speculative, but an interesting discovery if correct.

'In a major first, scientists have detected water vapor and possibly even liquid water clouds that rain in the atmosphere of a strange exoplanet that lies in the habitable zone of its host star about 110 light-years from Earth.

'A new study focuses on K2-18 b, an exoplanet discovered in 2015, orbits a red dwarf star close enough to receive about the same amount of radiation from its star as Earth does from our sun. Previously, scientists have discovered gas giants that have water vapor in their atmospheres, but this is the least massive planet ever to have water vapor detected in its atmosphere. This new paper even goes so far as to suggest that the planet hosts clouds that rain liquid water.'

Ok. Bend over, lube up , it's now looking like there's loads of little aliens and their **** probes out there.

Except for the Fermi Paradox, so are we living in a 'Red Dwarf' universe and we're it?
There was something on the "Fermi paradox' within the last couple of weeks; they've already been here, found no-one particularly interesting and moved on. It fits nicely with 'the alien built the pyramids' conspiracy theories, but not much else.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Gaming and Software 6
K Gaming and Software 1
Quoth Gaming and Software 16

Latest Threads