Kenyan Mau Mau veterans to sue UK

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, May 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where theres a claim theres a blame, whos next to sue? Luftwaffe pilots who were POW's for false imprisonment?

Kenyan Mau Mau veterans to sue UK

Veterans of Kenya's independence struggle are launching a compensation claim against the UK for alleged atrocities by the British army.

Lawyers for Mau Mau veterans said they had documented 40 cases of torture, including castration, sexual abuse and unlawful detention.

A spokesman for the veterans in Nairobi said they were confident of success.

The UK government has said the claim is invalid because of the time that had lapsed since the alleged abuses.

Five elderly Kenyans - three men and two women - detained during the 1950s insurgency are the lead claimants in the reparations case to be lodged at the High Court in London on 23 June.

The case is being brought by the Mau Mau War Veterans' Association and the Kenya Human Rights Commission, through London law firm Leigh Day & Co.

It is not the first compensation claim brought by Kenya's former independence fighters against the British government.

Tom Kagwe, deputy executive director of the Kenya Human Rights Commission, told Sunday's news conference in the Kenyan capital: "The actual number of Kenyans who suffered this barbaric treatment at the hands of British officers in fact runs into the thousands."

Seventy-nine year old Gitu wa Kahengeri, a spokesman for the Mau Mau War Veterans' Association, told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme: "The colonial government had treated the people of Kenya inhumanly.

"Many women were raped, many women were inserted bottles of hot water into their private parts."

Historians say the Mau Mau movement helped Kenya achieve independence in 1963.

It started in the European-owned farmlands in the Kenyan highlands in 1952.

Mau Mau fighters launched attacks on white settlers, spreading terror through the white farming community.

The Kenya Human Rights Commission has said 90,000 Kenyans were executed, tortured or maimed during the crackdown, and 160,000 were detained in appalling conditions.

2. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

That would be Mr Martyn Day representing them.

He of the bogus allegations of systematic rape by British soliders on Masai women not so long back.
  3. Maybe our Kenyan president will have a word with Broon and tell him to settle up and do the decent thing. :roll: :wink:

4. Help independence or delay it?

The Mau Mau are on a sticky wicket trying to take any sort of moral high ground, especially in regards to their oathing ceremonies.
    They did much worse to their own people than to the whites in Kenya, something that should be remembered before they are put on the pedestal as Kenya's "liberators" from oppressive imperialism.
  5. I smell an ambulance chasing.
  6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

The morality issue here is less to do with the ex Mau mau, and more to do with grubby opportunistic lawyers seeking to line their pockets encouraging people to pursue this sort of claim.
  7. I think this just about sums it up:

8. Am delighted that yet another complete waste of our courts' time is being contemplated. Next thing you'll know, some relative of some SS camp guard will be suing US/UK/Fr for the execution of their long distant relation.

Where does this ambulance chasing stop?

I'm really hoping that this story is a big waaaaaaaah.
  9. Don't think its a wah.
    I expect very much like the Malayan claim of 1948.
    A load of cock, and a counter claim should be made for wasting time.
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Let them bring their case ....... provided we get the country back!
  11. Auld-Yin, why the fcuk would we want that dump?! 8O
  12. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

My bro came back from exercise in Kenya a year or two back, apparently there are quite a few people who would like to see us back in charge. Certainly amongst the Masai he said. Didn't Sierra Leone ask us to recolonise at the outset of Op Palliser, only to be told we don't do colonies anymore?

Mind you we weren't the best behaved during Mau Mau & neither were they.
  13. I think I might sue the Kenyan government for the trauma I suffered at the hands of too many bottles of Tuskers. The sights and smells I suffered at the Sportsmans Arms Bar and Buccaneers will haunt me forever.
  14. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Could go #Safari like its 1985..# And it would save time in dealing with all the Kenyan Asylum seekers who pretend to be Somalian.
  15. If they claim to be Mau Mau terrorists, hunt down their family and kick them all out of UK as terror suspects.... and of course bar all their families present and future from entry to UK.

That'll learn 'em.

Oh,a nd charge them with Terrorism charges... seeing as they admit to being Mau Mau.