kenya???

So my other half is being posted to kenya for a year, on unaccompanied so we wont be able to live on site. We have a home off camp in the UK, but thinking of renting that out as i cannot see living apart for a year as an option at the moment. Anyways, wanting to find some info on where is safe to live in nairobi (or safest) and close to base. Know alot of places are gated but want somewhere very secure. Do not have children so schools are not an issue, just being secure and close to camp. Any advise on where to stay, company's or who to speak to would be greatly appreciated

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
So my other half is being posted to kenya for a year, on unaccompanied so we wont be able to live on site. We have a home off camp in the UK, but thinking of renting that out as i cannot see living apart for a year as an option at the moment. Anyways, wanting to find some info on where is safe to live in nairobi (or safest) and close to base. Know alot of places are gated but want somewhere very secure. Do not have children so schools are not an issue, just being secure and close to camp. Any advise on where to stay, company's or who to speak to would be greatly appreciated
Nairobi is a very dangerous city, honestly with leave the year will fly past, as Spaz said I'd rather stay at home than try and live in that place for a year.
It's all part of military life.

The only nice part to live in Nairobi is Karen and even that is dangerous. In the city, you really don't set foot outside at night. Even in a car you are taking a chance. I was there for six months two years ago on a drilling job. It's a nice place with a great climate but unless you are well supported by the system, I wouldn't chance it.

Not what I wanted to hear but atleast your all being honest! A year is a long time to not get any support so do feel we've been landed in the shit but hey ho life goes on! Appreciate the replies :)

Karen is nice but if your other half is going to BATUK Nairobi then it is the wrong side of the city and so not "close to base". If other half going to BPST then Karen is perfect.

A year is a long time to not get any support so do feel we've been landed in the shit but hey ho life goes on! Appreciate the replies :)
You'll get more support from your partner's unit if you are in the U.K. than you will if you live in Kenya.

Speak to the welfare officer, they'll be your first point of call with the unit.

This isn't particularly helpful, but... I simply wouldn't allow my wife to be in Nairobi without me with her 24/7 and of course I wouldn't be.

It's just not worth it. He'll be able to break up the 12 months with some leave I'd assume, even if just once in the middle.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
He'll be moving around the country a bit so staying in Nairobi might not be the best idea, even without the safety and security problems. If you're based more centrally you should have more time together.

You could get a good basha with some other lasses, they all look out for each other and tend to enjoy life with the British Army in Kenya.

Just drop a line to:
Buccaneers
Nanyuki Showground
Nanyuki
BFPO 10

Had a look into it, and we've agreed living outside of camp just isn't safe or do able. My other half wasn't keen on the idea and I think this has cemented it, He's going to speak to work on Monday about it all. Hearing horror stories of people regularly being robbed in their homes at gun point is not the best advert

Just had a mate come back from there - based in Nairobi but doing stuff around the S. Sudan border.

He's been to many a shithole and this was not his favourite. He also got malaria while enjoying himself.

He'd rather not go back.

A friend lives in Karen but even though it may be the best area of Nairobi she still got mugged for her phone, and then beaten because it wasn't good enough.
She has lived in some godawful places and even she is thinking of getting out.

Unless you are going to be supported (and protected) by the system then forget it - a year will pass quickly with leave etc. Temporary Duty Staff (TDS) posted to BATUK are not entitled to accommodation other than SLA (3, 6 or 12 months) and the likelihood is your other half will be 'up north' in Nanyuki where the majority of the staff are these days. Gone are the glory years of NBI based BATUK staff living in lavish diplomat housing with cleaners and gardeners, save for a tiny minority of clingers on.

Attempting to live outside the system either in NBI or at 'Main' would be a very dicey affair as described above. On a brighter note, enjoy the LSA and LOA that TDS status brings if it's still in place. I certainly enjoyed that aspect - cheers pusser ;-).

Just as a matter of interest, have you asked about visas. As he's unaccompanied you are not going to one supported by the Army and I'd be surprised if the Kenyans are willing to give you a 12 month visa without the usual hefty bribe.

Although it initially sounds like an opportunity for a 12 month holiday, reality will be very different. Plus I doubt any CO will grant him permission to live out.

Your other half will be busy as hell and its not the sort of place where he needs to be "worrying" what is happening to you.
Stay at home, if he gets time off fly out to Mombasa, stay in some overpriced hotel and he can meet up with you. Again same rules apply, you will be in as much danger as in Nairobi so will end up staying in the hotel all the time....so if that sounds like a ideal way to spend the limited time you have with him then great.
Get used to the fact the Army needs him more than you.

Agree with all of the above. It is indeed shit.

I would add this.

Do not be one of 'those' wives. My first one was. Couldn't bear to be apart. That's why she is my first wife!

If you are not mature or emotionally strong enough to endure separation at times it will not work out. Particularly if your partner is serious about any sort of career.

I understood this too late which is why I am currently on wife number two and no longer in the army.

I'd rather not see my other half for a year than go and live in that shithole.
Reported for telling the truth about an African shithole country.

Tilly -
I have never lived in Kenya but have visited there. The countryside is beautiful, safari accommodations in the national parks are great and the parks wonderful to visit. That said Nairobi can be dangerous. We did stay a couple days in Nairobi on our way home. We were in a nice hotel close to the US Embassy and one day, while I napped my wife and son decided to go for a walk. While walking someone came up behind my wife and pulled her gold earrings from her ears. Two good things: One, my wife grabbed my teenage son's shirt before he could take off after the thief; Two, the thief was quite skillful and was able to get the earrings off my wife's ears without ripping her earlobes off. I don't think Nairobi is a place I would choose for earlobe re-attachment surgery.
Being separate can work out OK. Back during the Gulf war my Uncle Sam (in the form of the US Navy) decided my wife should go back on active duty and take an all expense paid trip to Kuwait and Bahrain. My son and I survived well. She arrived home to a clean house. Only thing was the freezer was full of frozen casseroles etc as many of the mothers of my son's classmates apparently thought that men cannot cook. They never realized that I was the one who had taught his Italian-American wife how to make lasagna, risotto, etc.