Kenya Garmin Mapping??? Anyone???

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by djf1982, Oct 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have Kenya mapping for a Garmin GPS??????? Whilst i'm here; does anyone have any other mapping that they think would be useful (trg areas, ranges, etc) Thanks
  2. Last time I was out there, late 90s I just set it up for Degree, min, sec to use with the issued map.

3. Thanks, the new generation of GPS use colour mapping as well, it's that mapping that I am after. Cheers
  4. Full topo mapping of Europe(and africa) would be very useful. Any ideas`if this sort of thing is available? Would need a large SD Card but I am sure thesecards are available to load onto.
  5. djf - Garmin uses vector mapping while normal electronic stuff is raster (or it's the other way round, so you can't upload normal electronic (scanned or otherwise) to Garmin.

Yes, electronic versions exist of Kenya training areas and I have used them with OziExplorer PC and CE versions while on Ex Grand Prix.Worked well
  6. Do you have a copy of the mapping?
  7. I will ask around on some of the "other"places on the internet, that have "access" to the programs you are after! I will let you know what I come up with......
  8. Thanks, i'm looking too but it sounds as though you may have more luck.
  9. As more and more of us are using GPS units with vector mapping, might it be worth ARRSE hosting an area for us to upload mapping that we have??
  10. djf1982, I sent you a PM but no matter. I have a lot of mapping for the computer which can be downloaded to a GPS (Garmin) with the software provided. The mapping is in the form of Topo, Road maps and Photo. I have been collecting the maps for a number of years, they are of Europe, North America and some of Africa. It has been a while since I looked at them since there are some very good online mapping site available without the need to have maps files on the computer. Give me a shout and I will see what I can do to get you a map onto your GPS.

11. Thanks...
  12. Is there any type of mapping you can get for those Garmin Foretrex GPSes? Trying to work out if it is worth getting one of those over a bigger handheld