Kenya floods 2018

Well, the next thing I am expecting is a UK aid appeal and deployment of some lucky sods to help out one of our Commonwealth members.

At least we'll be spared Knob Geldof bleating on at us about drought in Africa and how we need to give him our fookin' money from the top of the pile of cash he sits on, the ocean-going hypocrite.

At least we'll be spared Knob Geldof bleating on at us about drought in Africa and how we need to give him our fookin' money from the top of the pile of cash he sits on, the ocean-going hypocrite.
Whilst I too am not Mr Geldof's biggest fan, I fail to see why we'll be spared the smelly gobshite's rantings?

Moz floods used to rearrange all the minefields every year to make life exciting for the demining crews.

Been happening in Moz for years. build the village close to the river where floods will wash it away. Every year NGOs will resupply with utensils, blankets and other kit. Every year just before flood season you see the kit for sale in the markets in the expectation it'll be replaced by NGOs and relief organisations as washed away in the floods.

Generally, what isn't nicked on the docks by officials and those offloading it is distributed by the relief mob. The nicked stuff will be seen in the markets around the same time.

Last edited:
As Kenyas former colonial masters, it's our fault and we will have to house them all here for safety

Wait if Kenya is in the Commonwealth, lets share the Common Wealth....remind me what have they donated to the pot recently.

Lets just tell all the Commonwealth that the horrible Europeans have taken all the wealth.

What about we provide them with shovels to build the biggest reservoir Kenya has ever seen.

More likely WAS built to high spec. Well, so the contractor says...
And he was paid for the gig.
I would be more worried about the other two dams in the area with the same owner.
The worst case scenario is "Sequential dam failure" where you get a domino effect when one failure pushes over the next one downriver and so on.
It is rare, but in 1975 the Banqiao reservoir dam failed in China during Typhoon Nina.
It took out another 60 odd dams and killed over 170,000 people.
Kenya is a very different terrain type, but infrastructure collapse is never good news.

I would be more worried about the other two dams in the area with the same owner.
The worst case scenario is "Sequential dam failure" where you get a domino effect when one failure pushes over the next one downriver and so on.
It is rare, but in 1975 the Banqiao reservoir dam failed in China during Typhoon Nina.
It took out another 60 odd dams and killed over 170,000 people.
Kenya is a very different terrain type, but infrastructure collapse is never good news.
Yep.
That area has huge run-off areas, due to long-term (man-made) deforestation.
I'm sure the chaps downstream are packing up and leaving, but the infrastructure will take a hammering.

Dunno if BATUK is affected. Looks like the worst affected areas are a bit further west.

As long as you can still get to the Riverside and Buccaneers, get a Tusker and a T Bone, followed by a cheeky nosh from 'Rose' before getting the 'Herbie' taxi back to camp that brakes by running up the banking...............

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 56
T Living Overseas 20
B Sports, Adventure Training and Events 0