Kent Police good work identifying Luftwaffe airman

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BounceBanana, Apr 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After I mentioned that I recalled that a Pc got commended I received a PM asking me if I could find out and publish the details. Margate Historical Society responded so thanks to them. Here are the details:

As regards the policeman involved in the identification of the airman,it P.C.Nigel Douglas(Dog Handler based at Margate).The Coroner's Officer at the time(1984);-P.C.Sydney Atkinson.He stood down in 1985 and the post was taken over by P.C.Wiggins..

P.C.Nigel Douglas spent time at the National Archives,Kew(Public Records Office)and established the circumstances etc relating to the loss of the German Airman.

Details on recovery operations;-

Date of incident;- Monday,26th August,1940.

Aircraft Type;-Messerschmitt Bf109E-1.

Aircraft Werk Nummer(serial number);- 3874.

Unit;-6/JG3.

Time of incident;- 12.20hrs.

Pilot;- Uffz. Fritz Johann Buchner.

Incident location;-Aircraft crashed and exploded on Shuart's Marshes,near St.Nicholas at Wade,Kent.

Buchner was shot down by Flying Officer.K.J.Marston of No.56 Squadron.

The pilots remains were established as Fritz Johann Buchner at the Coroner's Inquest on July 1st,1986.

All the research falls to P.C.Nigel Douglas,Peter Diamond and a host of others.

The pilot's remains excavated from a depth of 30 feet.

It seems the lad done well. Pc Nigel DOUGLAS. Thank you and good effort.

2. Hmmmmm… Kent Police and the Nazis in the same article.

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I don't know, bloody foreigners coming over here, wasting our Police time, AND staying in the country illegally for 50-odd years. I presume they've kicked him out now. Herumph.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Seems odd to me, a body found thirty feet down wearing a perfectly airworthy and serial numbered Messerschmidt isn't going to be very hard to identify, the German "Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt)
    für die Benachrichtigung der nächsten Angehörigen von Gefallenen der ehemaligen deutschen Wehrmacht" which was founded in 1939 (by whom do you think?) and the "Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e. V." would willingly drop everything and do all the work for you!

Was the erstwhile PC swanning around the Kew knocking shops perhaps?

5. cernunnos I think that I have spotted your deliberate mistake: "wearing a perfectly airworthy and serial numbered Messerschmidt isn't going to be very hard to identify"

"Incident location;-Aircraft crashed and exploded on Shuart's Marshes,near St.Nicholas at Wade,Kent. " If BB's post is correct, then it is unlikely that the aircraft would get a CofA. It might have been a bit corroded as well.
    As for for this: "der ehemaligen deutschen Wehrmacht which was founded in 1939 (by whom do you think?)" In 1939 Wehrmacht GmbH was very much a going* concern, I suspect maybe 1949, in which case it wasn't founded by an Austrian ex Hauptgefreiter (Obergefreiter?).

*As in going to France, Belgium, Holland and few other places.

6. They've promised to pop around just as soon as their warrant cards come back from the printers.

7. DEUTSCHE DIENSTSTELLE (WASt)

In case you are really interested :)

8. The Cof A will be simplified because the aircraft, reduced in weight after a half century of corrosion, will now qualify as a microlight and as the aircraft is for the transportation of human remains, and not humans, you could treat it as a model. Give him a tin or two of Av gas and let him fly himself home.

9. Well it was going to be Fritz, Hans or Adolf. He had 33% chance of getting it right.

10. Narp!

Die Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt) für die Benachrichtigung der nächsten Angehörigen von Gefallenen der ehemaligen deutschen Wehrmacht nahm am 26. August 1939 als Dienststelle des Oberkommandos der Wehrmacht unter der Bezeichnung Wehrmachtauskunftstelle für Kriegerverluste und Kriegsgefangene, woraus sich auch die in der heutigen Behördenbezeichnung enthaltene Abkürzung ableitet, ihre Tätigkeit auf (weitere Schreibweisen: Wehrmachts-Auskunftstelle, Wehrmachtsauskunftstelle, Wehrmachtauskunftsstelle).

11. Thanks for that BounceBanana.

If anyone is interested there is an excellent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge in Kent. They have exhibits from a number of excavations, some more poignant than others. Of one RAF Pilot all that was recovered from his crash site was a piece of parachute silk the size of a fag packet. That is on display alongside a photo of the pilot.

Also, 30' is about average for excavations around here and they find new crash sites yearly especially on Romney Marsh. In the museum they also have on display Merlin and Daimler Benz engines reduced to 2/3 rds of their original size by the impact of creaming in at 300mph +. Living on the South Coast, I have a couple of 7.92 cases found in my garden when I first moved in.

The Museum is well worth a visit.