Kent Police arrest Poppy Burner

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ACAB, Nov 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some halfwit who thought it 'clever' to post a piccy on FB of him burning a poppy feels plods wrath. The free speechers are out in droves saying Kent over reacted, They probably did, but, in this instance I don't fucking care. Hopefully, now he's been named, the little shit will be too scared to leave his house!

Bouncebanana will be along shortly!!!

Police have arrested a man after a picture of a burning poppy was posted on Facebook.

From The Wail

A man, named locally as Linney House, 19, was arrested on Remembrance Sunday after the image of a Royal British Legion paper poppy being held to a cigarette lighter was posted online.
    Underneath was written: 'How about that you squadey (sic) c****.'
    The image of a Royal British Legion paper poppy being held to a cigarette lighter was posted online on Sunday. Kent police confirmed that a 19 year old man, from Aylesham, was arrested on suspicion of 'malicious telecommunications' on Sunday and remains in custody. A picture believed to be Linney House, the man who is said to have been arrested, posted online. The words were superimposed by a third party The move has prompted a Twitter outcry with users criticising police for 'abusing civil liberties'.
    The Facebook profile for the user has now been removed.

A Kent Police spokesman said officers would interview the man this morning.

He said: 'A man is due to be interviewed by police this morning following reports that a picture of a burning poppy had been posted on a social media website.

'Officers were contacted at around 4pm yesterday (Sunday, 11 November 2012) and alerted to the picture, which was reportedly accompanied by an offensive comment.

'Following an investigation by Kent Police a 19-year-old Canterbury man was arrested on suspicion of an offence under the malicious communications act. He is currently in custody.'

David Allen Green, a journalist and lawyer for the New Statesman, tweeting as Jack of Kent, wrote: 'Dear idiots at @kent_police, burning a poppy may be obnoxious, but it is not a criminal offence.''
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Very true. But he deserves severe punishment for having a name like 'Linney House'.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. David Allen Green needs to do some research on The Malicious Communications Act 1988 section 1.

Burning a poppy might not be a criminal offence but the sending to another of any article which is indecent or grossly offensive is against the law and I for one am grossly offended if that might help get the guy a few weeks in the pokey.
    • Like Like x 6
  4. So presumably if he'd burned, say, a copy of the Koran, the Bible or the Talmud, the civil liberty crowd would be jumping to his defence against the police "abusing his civil liberties" after he'd said "How about that you sky-pixie believing c****?" No, I thought not.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. shame hes not Islamic, that would have got the outrage bus to break a 10 sec 1/4 mile.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. I think 'visible representation' and 'insulting' from S5 POA might do the trick as well, but I'm old and useless, and might be wrong.
  7. How about that you civey c***?

8. So, the burning of a poppy is not illegal, fair one, but the posting of this on facebook/twitter is? As other poster mentioned because it's offensive? What else is deemed offensive? Does anybody know or is it a case by case basis?

Serious question by the way I'm not taking the piss or out for a quick wah.
  9. Not with this mob on it, it wouldn't
    • Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Mr (or Ms) Scum,

Are you equating the RBL to a a major world faith?

"Royal British Religion", have to admit it has a ring about it - and as many rabid fanatical followers.
  11. And here's the offending picture:-

Attached Files:

12. I suspect he may not find imprisonment so much of an ordeal as you imagine....

13. Actually looks if Mr House is about to lose his innocence in a rather disturning 'menage a' trois', maybe the incident scarred him.......
  14. That's it! I calling the cops on you!
    • Like Like x 1