Kent Cyclists

Ex-Ten

War Hero
"High Mobility" infantry units mounted on bicycles were quite a "thing" during WW1 :)

LondonCyclistsposter.jpg

4(T)

LE
So, most of them volunteered for overseas service, probably thinking they'd be in France - just over the channel from their Kent homes - and so of course they ended up in India.

Never volunteer...

QRK2

LE
Still using them in the Second War. A German battalion spent much of D Day cycling around behind the US landing zone due to confusion and mis-direction. Whist AIUI the British Commandos dumped theirs as soon as they got ashore.

Last edited:
Appealing to the dentally challenged!

Recruiting poster for the 48th (South Midland) Division Cyclist Company

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There is a half decent Danish movie called April 9th.

It’s about a Danish bicycle infantry unit during the German invasion of Denmark.

Blokes on Raleigh Grifters (alright maybe not Raleigh Grifters) going up against tanks and Stukas.

Decent film.

I’ve got this WW1 poster hanging in my garage. Pedal Cycle Fitter was a trade.
Still is.
try and find someone to set up a bicycle properly. Apparently, tour de france mechanics are as sought after as F1 mechanic types.
And the wizardry of setting up tandems ...

Last edited:

RBMK

Old-Salt
Round here they've morphed into the Weaver Valley Wheelers.

They practice the Charge of the Light Brigade every weekend and woe betide anyone in their way.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

not sure if I have mentioned this before, but in 1919 the French organised a cycle race in the Zone Rouge, the weather was so bad, the roads so bad, and the men so damaged from 5 years of fighting that it was never again raced

Chef

LE
Still is.
try and find someone to set up a bicycle properly. Apparently, tour de france mechanics are as sought after as F1 mechanic types.
And the wizardry of setting up tandems ...
We used to have a bicycle shop near us, the guy who ran it did a full apprenticeship with Raleigh, based in Nottingham I think, and was quite scathing about the standard of modern bike salesmen.

He sold up and for a while worked at the Euro tunnel marshalling yards as they used a lot of bikes to cut around the area.

For some reason he had a Norman soldier on the front door with the slogan:

"Nobby Norman says' Ride a bike'"

He also had a pinball machine in the back of the shop.

Chef

LE

Latest Threads