Kennel Cough Advise

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Jimima_Shark, Mar 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I apologise if this happens to be the wrong place for this, but a question for any Veterinary types out there.

We are planning on going away this weekend with our 4 year old dog (in good health). We have been told that one of the couples that is coming as well have recently bought two puppies that have been (today) diagnosed with Kennel cough, now being treated on antibiotics.

I know that Kennel cough is contagious in much the same way as our common cold and I believe that it can be fairly dangerous in young puppies and older dogs.

Bearing in mind the age of our dog and his health, do I have anything to be particularly worried about? Is there anything I can do to reduce any potential problems? I'm guessing it's too late to innoculate him in time for the weekend.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Jimima

2. Don' take your dog. Although your dog is neither a puppy nor old, it will still be susceptible to 'the cough'. I am not a vet, but have seen the spread of the illness through hunt kennels as a result of infected dogs being taken to meets by their owners. Highly contagious and fairly unpleasant and not worth the risk. Would you take your child to play with children who have chicken pox?

4. boelynbulldog, I agree with you about chicken pox and subjecting children to ensure they catch it before they get older.

Cheers guys,

Jimima

5. I preferred the pox parties at QEMH......although I have to admit that I never caught pox. there are still QA's out there that shout out my name each time they reach orgasm.

STANDING BY !!

6. you can get your dog innoculated against kennel cough by simply nipping to your vets and coughing up (excuse the pun) several pounds.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Expensive and difficult to quarantine against all for a £5 or £10 annual innoculation. Get it done, late stages can take ages to clear and be quite distressing! I had 2 out of 6 with it and it was a real bind, poor things!

8. What QA's have orgasms, what a "new man" approach to sex :wink:

9. QA's.......???? Orgasm.......!!!!

Gosh that possibility never actually crossed my mind :twisted:

(They wouldnt have called my name in any case as I usually gave DL's name.................better safe than sorry.)

10. Check with the kennels that they have a vets cert stating that they are infection free. If they cannot provide one, steer clear, also a vet will be able to recommend a good well kept boarding kennel. It is advisable to have your dog innoculated, as its not only at kennels that the disease can be contacted.
    Hope this helps.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Top advice, mine picked it up whilst out recreational walking and was a real pain!

12. I see its probably too late for this info but figured I'd add it for future reference for anyone interested.

"Kennel cough" covers a variety of upper respiratory infections of both viral and bacterial 'bugs'. The vaccines need to be given at least 5 days prior to exposing your dog to possible infectious dogs to give them adequate protection, some vaccines need longer.

It can't be compared to something like Chicken Pox, the same dog can come down with "Kennel Cough" as many times as its exposed, its not something that they only get once. (sorry, not trying to rattle anyones feathers).

Some dogs can shake it off after just a few days and it's not so severe but other dogs can end up with pneumonia or other complications from, that would mostly be puppies, older dogs and immune compromized.

Heres a website with some good information about the incubation period and vaccine protocols.

http://www.provet.co.uk/aol/Petfacts/healthtips/kennelcough.htm

13. The kennels that i put my lab into wanted to see a cert from my vet to say he had his kennel cough jab. Quite a responsible line to take given some of the comments posted on here. Prevention is better than cure so they say.

14. Any evidence of your Mr meaners was shredded when we closed down the department, so your secret is save!!

Did I say that out loud?