Builds Ken Miles Le Manns 1966 Ford GT 40 Mk2, 1/25th scale car by Fujimi

I've agreed to a car group build over on Brexit Modeller, so I thought I'd share it here on the Arrse modelling pages, this has of course slowed my progrees on other projects, my M3 Grant and crashing KamiKaze, but it's a simple kit with a low parts count, so shouldn't hold me up for long.
box art.jpg

always admired the lines of the GT40, it's low slung body, wide tires filling the arches, but there's another dimension to this subject, Ken the driver, being a British lad, and an ex WW2 Tankie. He was both a phenomenal driver and car developer.
box side picture.jpg

The recent Movie "Ford V Ferrari" staring Christian Bale playing Ken, and Matt Damon.

tells the story and is well worth checking out.

first step getting the pale pastel blue colour right, I used Halfords Grey primer, then spray from a can of Ford light blue.
rubber tyres.jpg

the kit has rubber rather than solid plastic tyres, a shame, as they are harder to paint and weather.
the rear transmission is made up from a dozer or so parts, after my Grant Interior, with hundreds ands hundreds of parts, it seems so simple.
rear suspension.jpg

I wanted to put a Ken Miles figure in the driving seat, a figure set of drivers and mechanics, just the job and as it's a left over in the stash, doesn't add any more cost to the project.
figure on sprues.jpg

and there's a head with an open front Helmet just like Ken's.
kens helemt and head.jpg

making generic figures has always been something I've wanted kit manufacturers to make, but there are so many variables with seats. This figure needed cutting to make it fit the rake of the seat rest.
ken shortened body B.jpg

the figure was too tall so further shortening at the join of the body halves, to get his head below the top of that rear window frame.
kens dials.jpg

his legs also fit under the dash, Result!

the body tub fitted out, and the kit provides pe buckles and sticky back straps.
seat harness in.jpg

the wheels were stark chrome that needed toning down with a steel wash.
floor pan suspension completed.jpg

fitting out the body shell with windows using PVA glue that dries clear, but smears something terrible if care is not taken.
glazing in with white glue.jpg

to get the body to fit, you have to spring out the shell sides and at the same time pop in the tub making sure the fragile suspension doesn't get dislodged or broken, then using a toothpick to filter in some PVA glue to the under side seams.
body shell on b.jpg

the final small fine parts to fit now before Decals and dirt.
small parts painted.jpg

including the PE bonnet straps, anchored at the top, when that dries, can bend them to shape around the front valance
bonnet and it's fastenings b.jpg

test fit of the body shell to test for head space.
View attachment 563872

They are an incredibly tight fit. I have sat in a couple of real one's and passengered in a few quality replicas - as close to the real thing as you could get. At 6'1" I had to scrunch down in the seat and sort of pull my head down into my shoulders. Dan Gurney was 6'4" and they came up with the Gurney bubble to put onto the top of the door for him so that he could sit up straight'ish. I had problems seeing out of the windscreen at my height, Gurney must have had a hell of a time with the extra height he had - the rumour is that he also had the seat more or less removed to allow his arrse to be an inch, or so lower too. Its no way to be driving a 24 hour race.

The only bloke I have seen comfortably get in and out of a GT40 is Jackie 0liver, who like most racing drivers is jockey sized.

starting with the body decals, the iconic Number 1 of Ken Miles.
decals side on.jpg

this rear decal has to fit around and over the air intake, the air intake fairings are yet to be fitted.

the red hooks very much in evidence right at the front end, the bonnet PE wires hanging down ready to be bent to shape up and under the front. The headlamp sockets ready for black and silver paint before the clear covers go on.
red hooks.jpg

Jammy66

War Hero
Excellent! I used to make model cars as a kid and keep getting the urge to try one now. I used to like making them look used rather than pristine 'new' cars.

I watched the film just a couple of weeks ago, very good and I've added it to my small but growing library of best car based films!

Excellent! I used to make model cars as a kid and keep getting the urge to try one now. I used to like making them look used rather than pristine 'new' cars.

I watched the film just a couple of weeks ago, very good and I've added it to my small but growing library of best car based films!
go ahead, make sure you photograph it and post and share it with us, we are very supportive on these pages. Any model subject is acceptable, except my Bee Woman resin kit, raised a few eyebrows, so cars, no problem.

the last of the decals going on, that one around the headlamp is proving difficult, needs some model varnish to hold it down.
last of the decals.jpg

I'm pleased with how this turned out, head and tail lights and a base next.
last of the decals b.jpg

over head view of where I am with it now.
overhead view.jpg

the tail lights, clear parts with yellow or red paint on the far side of the piece to give that ruby look.
rear lights.jpg

Latest Threads