Ken Livingstone will face a disciplinary hearing

There is a GOD!

London mayor Ken Livingstone will face a disciplinary hearing over comments made to a Jewish journalist.
He will appear before an independent panel and could be banned from office for five years if it rules against him.
An inquiry began after Mr Livingstone accused a reporter of "doorstepping" him at a party in February and likened him to a concentration camp guard.
He faces allegations that he failed to respect others or that he brought his office into disrepute.
Mr Livingstone will appear before the independent Adjudication Panel for England some time before December which will rule if he breached the Greater London Authority Code of Conduct.
'War criminal'
He could be banned from office, suspended, told to apologise, censured or told to go for training. It is thought that a five-year ban is unlikely.
It follows a confrontation between the mayor and Evening Standard reporter Oliver Finegold outside a party for MP Chris Smith.
The mayor accused Mr Finegold of pursuing him and on tape he was heard asking the reporter if he was a "German war criminal".
Mr Finegold replied: "No, I'm Jewish, I wasn't a German war criminal. I'm quite offended by that."
The mayor then says: "Ah right, well you might be, but actually you are just like a concentration camp guard, you are just doing it because you are paid to, aren't you?"
He later refused to apologise to the reporter, saying he was the victim of a 24-year hate campaign by Associated Newspapers, publishers of the Evening Standard and the Daily Mail.
But he said his words were not intended to cause such offence.
The Board of Deputies of British Jews referred the matter to the Standards Board for England, which has now referred it to the independent panel.
A spokesman for the Standards Board said the case had not been referred to the GLA's own standards committee because some elected members had already "expressed a view" that Mr Livingstone should apologise.
Mr Livingstone told BBC London on Tuesday: "The Standards Board has rejected the allegation that I failed to comply with the GLA's code of conduct in relation to this exchange.
"The tribunal will now consider the issue of whether I treated a journalist with respect."
But Graham Tope, Lib Dem leader on the London Assembly, said: "It is unfortunate that this whole sordid sorry little episode has had to go to the Adjudication Panel for England when the mayor could have eaten some humble pie and said sorry."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4198720.stm

Nothing would make me happier than seeing this cn*t made to take "ethnic re-education training"!!

G

Goku

As much as I can’t stand red Ken, I think this is a little OTT.
He’s guilty of saying a lot of ignorant things but this case is due to him comparing a journo to a Nazi, if that journo hadn’t happened to be Jewish then no one would have really paid any attention to that comment.
I really can’t see any justification for disciplinary action in this case.
Most journos are parasites, this one looks to me like he’s playing the race card.

Goku,

To be honest i agree, but the simple satisfaction of watching the Politically Correct brigade dog turn and bit one of its bigger enforcers is just too good to pass up!

Just how many times has Red Ken played the "race/politically correct/social injustice" card in the past 30 years!

G

Goku

Plastic Yank said:
Goku,

To be honest i agree, but the simple satisfaction of watching the Politically Correct brigade dog turn and bit one of its bigger enforcers is just too good to pass up!

Just how many times has Red Ken played the "race/politically correct/social injustice" card in the past 30 years!
I do like watching scum take a beating and red Ken does deserve a bloody good kicking. However this is not the right way to go about.
I can’t stand dirty tricks and this stinks of PC bollix.

Think of it this way, his disciplinary hearing is being funded by public money, our tax money.
I’d rather see public funds spent on something worth while than a trumped up charge.

Goku said:
He’s guilty of saying a lot of ignorant things but this case is due to him comparing a journo to a Nazi, if that journo hadn’t happened to be Jewish then no one would have really paid any attention to that comment.
Most journos are parasites, this one looks to me like he’s playing the race card.
It's that fact he KNEW he was jewish and then proceeded to slag him off about the nazi camp guards.

Wether or not he meant any harm by it is irrelevant, he DID bring the office of mayor of London into disrepute!

A_S

The standards Board for England eh ? - Ken's a berk but can't they go for a more deserving target ?. Might I suggest our good friend Mister Blair .....

In theory the Standards Board for England(SBE) could ban him from holding (any) public office... for life. In reality there'll be a storm in a teacup and Ken will walk away with a slapped wrist.

SBE only has juristiction over Local Government officials, MP and ministers are covered by a slightly less ruthless organisation!

Agreed Goku.

Wonder why they didn't do this when Ken said IIRC ""I just long for the day I wake up and find that the Saudi royal family are swinging from lampposts and they've got a proper government that represents the people of Saudi Arabia." during his rant on "Who really funds terrorism" ?

Maybe the Saudi's haven't got a big enough hysterical lobby in the UK? Tut-tut Ken , don't go describing Sharon as a war criminal will you?

He was even attacked over these remarks

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/gla/story/0,9061,1188574,00.html

"he warned Londoners not to become paranoid about terrorist attacks, pointing out that they were far more likely to become the victims of road traffic collisions in the capital.

He said: "Terrorists will get through, they will take lives. But put it in the perspective that this year we will kill 300 people in road accidents in this city - and on that basis no one would leave their homes in the morning."
What's wrong with that? It's true. But his remarks were seized on by the challengers in the mayoral race. It's a witch hunt, because Blair can't bear to see his Redness in the slot again, like some particularly annoying itch he can't get rid of. Good :D

Whatever Ken has said in the past , Londoners like him. Not all Londoners, but enough to return him as mayor over and over again.

Goku - This piece from "Something Jewish" makes interesting reading and supports your argument.

http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/1010_ken_wins_london.htm

G

Goku

PartTimePongo said:
Wonder why they didn't do this when Ken said IIRC ""I just long for the day I wake up and find that the Saudi royal family are swinging from lampposts and they've got a proper government that represents the people of Saudi Arabia." during his rant on "Who really funds terrorism" ?
For remarks like that, Ken deserves to be disciplined because there he is potentially damaging political relations with Saudi Arabia.
For comparing a Jewish journo to a Nazi, that’s not even worth a paragraph on page 10 of the Sun…

This is all OTT.

Edited –

PTP, I just read through that page from "Something Jewish", red Ken clearly bears no ill will towards the Jews (although he could have just been lying to get the Jewish vote, never trust a politician :D ).

It seams that these days all you need to do is point the finger and shout “racist” to organise a witch hunt.

B

Biscuits_AB

Goku said:
Of course he is. It's a trivial incident being blown out of all proportion because of who it involves.
Schoolboy error Kenneth, but it would be nice to see Political correctness being kicked in the arrse by Political correctness.

Maybe some time in the near future we'll all get back to some form of normality.

A nice footnote to this episode is that soon after the 'incident', Radio Four's Today programme doorstepped Oliver Finegold, at the offices of the Evening Standard, shoving a tape recorder under his nose. He was painfully affronted and made a huge hoo-har to the BBC about it, complaining about his personal space being invaded; media intrusion, etc. Unfortunately for us, this little nugget was eclipsed by the financially better prospect of shifting more copies through concentrating on the guff about Ken Livingstone. We're left to assume that Joe Public wasn't really interested in the blatant hypocrisy of Finegold, who revealed that Red Ken was fair game, but his own privacy was sacrosanct.

As a northerner in exile living in London for the last 20 odd years, two of the worst things living here are Red kens nasal whining newt gobbling voice and the Evening Standard on sale bloody everywhere ; both are in your face, both are crap and I know which one I'd rather wipe my arrse on.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
76mill said:
As a northerner in exile living in London for the last 20 odd years, two of the worst things living here are Red kens nasal whining newt gobbling voice and the Evening Standard on sale bloody everywhere ; both are in your face, both are crap and I know which one I'd rather wipe my arrse on.
Yeah, the Evening Standard is a bit too scratchy and the print comes off.

First of all I believe that mr.Livingstone should bring apologies. But (as in 'The merchant of Venice') skilled lawyer could prove that namely the journalist from Evening Standard is guilty.

The mayor accused Mr Finegold of pursuing him and on tape he was heard asking the reporter if he was a "German war criminal".

Mr Finegold replied: "No, I'm Jewish, I wasn't a German war criminal. I'm quite offended by that."

The mayor then says: "Ah right, well you might be, but actually you are just like a concentration camp guard, you are just doing it because you are paid to, aren't you?"
What could skilled barrister say in this situation? Phrase "German war criminal" was sounded before mr.Finegold said about his nationality. So let's forget about it. So we have the only phrase that is suspicious - comparison with 'concentration camp guard'. But who can prove that namely Nazi concentration camp was meant. It is a very hard task to prove it, almost impossible. There were (are) many other concentration camps.

So this idea with hearings will bring zero result.