Ken Dodd has died aged 90

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Why does he have a kebab in his hand?
To confuse the enemy. It was actually a multi-shot .22LfB designed to kill or incapacitate at close range. Devilish cunning, these Chinese, eh?:smile::smile::smile:

MsG

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I am the Tax Man, or was in previous life.

Your post is a whole thread in itself, but you may have a point about the over 90's, or over somethings, being tax exempt. IIRC KD was very much less that 90 when he got charged. He was clearly 'at it' but it was impossible to get a guilty verdict due to him being such a popular figure. So much for the British jury system! That's my take on it anyway.

ETA some clarification.
British Justice, like the met. The best that money can buy.

Had the new seasons brochure come today for a place called Gawsforth hall in Cheshire, its a country house that sticks a Grandstand on the lawn for the season the dressing room is a garden shed iirc.
Doddy was to be on the 15th of July. so at he age of 90 he was still planning gigs.

I only got to see Ken Dodd in person the once; when I came over to visit a former ex-British Army comrade and his famly in (? ... Doncaster, Sheffield, Rotherham, some place like that?) in about 1986/87. First of all, he was absolutely hilarious, firing off jokes so quickly that you hardly had time to catch your breath. But what was supposed to be (and was billed as) a two-hour show actually went on for over almost six hours. His stamina was just phenomenal! I learned later that he had a habit of "overrunning" the time.

What I found truly amazing was that audience was just as enthusiastic at the end of the gig as at the beginning, with not a hint or breath of complaint. Leaving the theatre among the crowds, all I heard was praise for Doddy, how marvellous he was and "what a fantastic night it had been". I very much doubt that many other comedians (particularly the "new breed") could pull off something like that. OK, maybe they could overrun for 10, 20 even 30 minutes at a pinch, but for nigh on four hours? Absolutely incredible and a memory I cherish.

I really hope that the city of Liverpool give the man the send-off he so richly deserves. In particular because he never deserted his native city and not only stayed on there all his life, but in the house in Notty Ash where he was born. Not many "celebrities" can say that about themselves.

MsG

PS. I thought for a long time that "Notty Ash" was just a joke name Ken Dodd made up for his act. Turned out it wasn't.

Edited to add. Is it true that he always wrote his own jokes and never relied on "outside assistance"?
He had outside assistance, they all did/ do.

Barry Cryer for one.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

Barry Cryer for one.
Any actual "evidence" for that? Just asking, like, because I really admire Ken Dodd - now known as Kon Dedd (PBUH).

MsG

Any actual "evidence" for that? Just asking, like, because I really admire Ken Dodd - now known as Kon Dedd (PBUH).

MsG
Just the fact that Barry Cryer has been writing gags for comedian since about 1957. His wiki page lists most of the UK comedians in that time frame. 1957- Today. Listing many with the caveat “ including”.

Bob Monkhouse had a huge book of jokes, as did Doddy but something new was always needed.

We all loved the great Tommy Cooper, what a performer, no script all of the cuff....

After Tommy Cooper died Paul Daniels somehow ( cash for the late wife ) got his hands on Tommy’s records, gags and scripts.

I.e,

Say ... Ahahaha , I will now produce , from this cloth 4 live ducks, look left , look right , pause , look up, waggle cloth, open cloth , no ducks.

Look confused, wait for laugh,

Punch line.

oh they got away again.

Wait for laughter.

Next gag.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
No you bloody well won't, if there's any justice, it should be given to the city of Liverpool, and showcased in the town hall, page by page, one a day for all to see, and his memory and huge talent will live for another 60 years.
As Doddy had mmore than 10,000 books on humour, it will be a bit longer than that.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Had the new seasons brochure come today for a place called Gawsforth hall in Cheshire, its a country house that sticks a Grandstand on the lawn for the season the dressing room is a garden shed iirc.
Doddy was to be on the 15th of July. so at he age of 90 he was still planning gigs.
He had a gig at Darlington in a few months... a tiny and quite odd venue.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Just the fact that Barry Cryer has been writing gags for comedian since about 1957. His wiki page lists most of the UK comedians in that time frame. 1957- Today. Listing many with the caveat “ including”.

Bob Monkhouse had a huge book of jokes, as did Doddy but something new was always needed.

We all loved the great Tommy Cooper, what a performer, no script all of the cuff....

After Tommy Cooper died Paul Daniels somehow ( cash for the late wife ) got his hands on Tommy’s records, gags and scripts.

I.e,

Say ... Ahahaha , I will now produce , from this cloth 4 live ducks, look left , look right , pause , look up, waggle cloth, open cloth , no ducks.

Look confused, wait for laugh,

Punch line.

oh they got away again.

Wait for laughter.

Next gag.
The big difference is that Tommy Cooper was funny. You knew there were no ducks. Genius delivery. Paul Daniels was not a genius.

Well, not guilty is not guilty. Not sure about the innocent. Liverpool Crown Court, Liverpool jury. Do you seriously think he paid all his dues? Or is it ok to defraud the Revenue if you a slightly amusing scally? I have my opinion on the matter.
Hmm interesting riposte. My team did Pigott, which IR piggy backed basically because we had the powers. Moreover we got him bang to rights. Sound like you didn't have enough to risk the issue, never mind his popularity. Still Customs worked one way- to nail 'em.

Barry Cryer for one.
True but Mr Cryer wrote for Tommy Cooper and tons of other comics and shows. Ken couldn't have gone for his seven laughs a minute on his own, but he did write a lot of his own material and developed that whole persona, prop thing and shtick that no-one else had or has. Sixty years of practise, and practice.

Ken Dodd: From panto to Shakespeare in The Stage Archive | Features, Picks | The Stage

John Martin wrote his gags for a very long time, sworn to secrecy, and having just one or two good writers kept him unique. When I was a kid he was in the Guinness Book of Records for the longest joke-telling session ever, 1,500 jokes in three-and-a-half hours. His gag writers would be credited as programme associates or something else.

The big difference is that Tommy Cooper was funny. You knew there were no ducks. Genius delivery. Paul Daniels was not a genius.
Have to disagree about genius and delivery. Both we’re very good, Tommy Cooper was a very good and funny magician. In the circle and could if pushed to do a decent trick, his forte was a gag and a bad trick .

Even though many think Paul Daniels was a bunko magician, he was up there with the best.

USA has for example Copperfield, he is old now but very good illusionist with the money to make something look fantastic and really magic.

Paul was doing the same before him updating a really good trick to a new level.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Can we not stop it where it is? Can we stop comparing comedians as to how they "changed society" (or even changed anything)?

This is a thread about Ken Dodd, his sad demise at the age of 90, his quite unique brand of humour and the infuence he had on successive generations with regard to how they view the world and incorporate that view into their act. Let's honour the man for what he was - a genuine comedic genius.

MsG

No doubt it will crop up a few times in the days to come but I often recall his splendidly evocative phrase;

"The trouble with Freud is that he never had to play second house on a Saturday night at the Glasgow Empire"

No you bloody well won't, if there's any justice, it should be given to the city of Liverpool, and showcased in the town hall, page by page, one a day for all to see, and his memory and huge talent will live for another 60 years.
And no one will laugh, Ken Dod had that comic genius of timing. Some of his jokes weren’t necessarily that funny, unless he told them. It was his delivery that made them funny.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Current Affairs, News and Analysis 40
msr The Intelligence Cell 14
Davros_the_Dalek The Intelligence Cell 1