Ken Dodd has died aged 90

Knotty Ash and

Liverpool Lime Street

He will live forever.

I see him and Bessie Braddock every couple of weeks, picking up or dropping off someone.

Last edited:
Well, not guilty is not guilty. Not sure about the innocent. Liverpool Crown Court, Liverpool jury. Do you seriously think he paid all his dues? Or is it ok to defraud the Revenue if you a slightly amusing scally? I have my opinion on the matter.
The law says he didn't defraud HMRC. What you, I or anybody else thinks, especially without the benefit of having heard the evidence against him, is totally irrelevant to anything.

Not me. Sod all those bouncy, upbeat tunes at funerals.

I want people to be wailing, beating their breasts, gnashing their teeth, prostrate, catatonic and inconsolable in their grief at my passing.
Is that the same as rolling in the aisles laughing at you and your demise?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
The law says he didn't defraud HMRC. What you, I or anybody else thinks, especially without the benefit of having heard the evidence against him, is totally irrelevant to anything.
As far as I can make out, it was mostly about the tax he should have paid on interest that would have acrued on the large amounts of cash he had stashed at home in his attic. Apart from that, he'd banked with financial institutes on the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. Which isn't actually illegal. Ask "Call-Me-Dave" and his old man.:smile::smile::smile:

MsG

As far as I can make out, it was mostly about the tax he should have paid on interest that would have acrued on the large amounts of cash he had stashed at home in his attic. Apart from that, he'd banked with financial institutes on the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. Which isn't actually illegal. Ask "Call-Me-Dave" and his old man.:smile::smile::smile:

MsG
He got two new Diddy men.
Diddy pay.
And
Diddy f***

CFB

He liked his doner kebab, then.
Old pic.

Virgin trains temporary lounge at the mo.

If you look closely you can just see Bessie's hand with the egg,

PS.
Straight over my head that mate, sorry.

Last edited:
For all his hits, and I have a couple of his CDs,
I think the greatest rendition he made of a song was one that he performed, but as far as I am aware, he never recorded -
'The Sunshine of Your Smile'

I still recall the first joke I heard Ken Dodd perform, on the radio before he became a television name.

A man goes into a pet shop and goes up to a cage full of parrots'
"How much are your parrots?" he asks the owner.
"Well, he replied, the ones on the floor of the cage are 12/6d; the ones on the middle perch are 15 shillings and the ones on the top are 17/6d".
"Why are the ones on the top dearer?"
"They're on higher perches"

From a city of comics, he was the finest of them all.

Never found him even remotely funny. Was always time to switch channels as soon as he came on.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
I only got to see Ken Dodd in person the once; when I came over to visit a former ex-British Army comrade and his famly in (? ... Doncaster, Sheffield, Rotherham, some place like that?) in about 1986/87. First of all, he was absolutely hilarious, firing off jokes so quickly that you hardly had time to catch your breath. But what was supposed to be (and was billed as) a two-hour show actually went on for over almost six hours. His stamina was just phenomenal! I learned later that he had a habit of "overrunning" the time.

What I found truly amazing was that audience was just as enthusiastic at the end of the gig as at the beginning, with not a hint or breath of complaint. Leaving the theatre among the crowds, all I heard was praise for Doddy, how marvellous he was and "what a fantastic night it had been". I very much doubt that many other comedians (particularly the "new breed") could pull off something like that. OK, maybe they could overrun for 10, 20 even 30 minutes at a pinch, but for nigh on four hours? Absolutely incredible and a memory I cherish.

I really hope that the city of Liverpool give the man the send-off he so richly deserves. In particular because he never deserted his native city and not only stayed on there all his life, but in the house in Notty Ash where he was born. Not many "celebrities" can say that about themselves.

MsG

PS. I thought for a long time that "Notty Ash" was just a joke name Ken Dodd made up for his act. Turned out it wasn't.

Edited to add. Is it true that he always wrote his own jokes and never relied on "outside assistance"?

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Knotty Ash and

Liverpool Lime Street

He will live forever.

I see him and Bessie Braddock every couple of weeks, picking up or dropping off someone.
Why does he have a kebab in his hand?

I imagine Doddy could have done standup anywhere but he was pure music-hall and theatre. I think he was the only one that did two An Audience With... shows. "There's a subtle difference between those who say funny things and those who say things funny" - Sir Ken Dodd OBE.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I only got to see Ken Dodd in person the once; when I came over to visit a former ex-British Army comrade and his famly in (? ... Doncaster, Sheffield, Rotherham, some place like that?) in about 1986/87. First of all, he was absolutely hilarious, firing off jokes so quickly that you hardly had time to catch your breath. But what was supposed to be (and was billed as) a two-hour show actually went on for over almost six hours. His stamina was just phenomenal! I learned later that he had a habit of "overrunning" the time.

What I found truly amazing was that audience was just as enthusiastic at the end of the gig as at the beginning, with not a hint or breath of complaint. Leaving the theatre among the crowds, all I heard was praise for Doddy, how marvellous he was and "what a fantastic night it had been". I very much doubt that many other comedians (particularly the "new breed") could pull off something like that. OK, maybe they could overrun for 10, 20 even 30 minutes at a pinch, but for nigh on four hours? Absolutely incredible and a memory I cherish.

I really hope that the city of Liverpool give the man the send-off he so richly deserves. In particular because he never deserted his native city and not only stayed on there all his life, but in the house in Notty Ash where he was born. Not many "celebrities" can say that about themselves.

MsG

PS. I thought for a long time that "Notty Ash" was just a joke name Ken Dodd made up for his act. Turned out it wasn't.

Edited to add. Is it true that he always wrote his own jokes and never relied on "outside assistance"?
Ken Dodd, like Bob Monkhouse, were curators of old jokes and ceaselessly sought them out. Both had the skill of finding the timeless aspect of the joke. It is said that Doddy had the biggest collection of joke books in the world. If so, its a national treasure and we will take it in lieu of tax.