Ken Clarke : Prisoners to work 40 hours per week.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by LancePrivateJones, Oct 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am beginning to quite like this new government, see here >> BBC News - Prisoners 'should work 40 hours' a week says Ken Clarke

I know that it could create problems with possibly taking jobs from non-criminal types but the idea seems sound in principle.

Personally I would put them back in uniforms with arrows on them and balls and chains on their ankles and have the coonts breaking rocks in a quarry, but that's me just being a kind hearted liberal type.
  2. "…He will say the government will begin a major expansion of prison industries to get more inmates working.…"

3. Good stuff

Perhaps they will actually give them skills that will help them on the outside. I wonder who is going to watch over them as they work though? Will they be able to do it with the existing officers? - I don't think so.

4. There ya go whet!

Get arrested, go to jail, get a job and training!

5. CSJ has been pushing for this for ages. Its obviously not going to be for the nutjobs and hyper violent criminals. If the CSJ proposals are fully implemented then these prisoners will recieve payment for their work they will collect upon release. (Depending on if they progress to that stage) Which is a big incentive for many of them.

It gives them a lump sum to help them get back on their feet after prison and helps bridge the prison-job divide which is usually filled with a return to crime.

It also helps repay the victims of crime which in the absence of vengence based punishments is the most effective social method to ease the costs of crime that are not psycholigically met with incraceration.

There are tons of jobs they can do which are largely done by immigrant labour at the moment. Cardboard box assembly, inserting magazine drop out adverts at the correct page - To name a few that I have done over the last year or so that are soul destroying but low skilled.
  6. Take it to the other thread you t1t
  7. Why those jobs. Why not train them up and send them on government builds. The government gets a good job on the cheap and the prisoners get an education.
  8. It's a start, you dont take any uk citizens out of employment.

I think the critical part is to aim small then build up, Labour fucked everything up every policy because it was too far reaching too quickly when it came to reforms relating to industry and the private sector. You are going to have to provide proof of concept before you scale job types. You also want the jobs to be considered productive but not... fun.

Now the end goal would be to provide education (basic literacy and numeracy qualifications are far more important than any one other qualification which can follow) and even to not release people from prison until they have progressed to a certain standard.

Make education and training part of the terms of sentancing.

Now one of my suggestions which never got taken up but I felt could work would be to allow non-violent crime prisoners who have progressed sufficiently in qualifications and quality of work to have a.... stealth criminal record of sorts... that its only available to the police and related services, incentivising hard work that much more. Making prison a second chance rather than a permenant black mark.
  9. You mean to say that this scheme will be creating employment?
  10. The Prison Officers have been asking for more people on the ground for years. There is no chance of Clarke spending more money on wages.
  11. They could give them jobs that we normally get done abroad (because the pay is a pittance).

For the low risk offenders 8 hours a day picking up litter in areas where no-one is normally paid to.

Whats the betting this kind of thing attracts lawyers moaning about the European Working Time Directive.
  12. Spot on.
    The only thing that will put the mockers on this will be the twerps of the EU and that famous prisoners friend, The Human Rights Act.

Personally I would support the re-introduction of prison ships and hanging from the public of course.

Seriously, it could make the 'Soft' prison option very uncomfortable and I hope Ken gets his way.
  13. Despite the fact that their earnings will be taxed and its possible that anything they make can be sold for profit to the goverment?
  14. .......and, if they are earning, they can make a contribution towards their food and accommodation.

Just like squaddies (and the rest of us) have to do.
  15. Hmmmmmm

Squaddies are there by choice, and get paid a good wack more than they would be getting