Ken Burns "The Vietnam War" BBC4, 25/09/17, 2100 hrs

If it's half as good as his Civil War, then I'll be hooked, and will end up playing the main theme.

Thanks for the reminder!

Don't need to watch it. I was THERE, maan...

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Don't need to watch it. I was THERE, maan...
Pleaee give us the facts then, dates in country, where served and what unit, my only reason for asking is that I have big interest in that war.

Pleaee give us the facts then, dates in country, where served and what unit, my only reason for asking is that I have big interest in that war.
I can't tell you anything useful about that because I wasn't in country during the war. My training was interrupted and I was diverted into other duties when the peace accords were signed in January 1973.

ABNredleg

Old-Salt
We watched the episode on the Tet Offensive last night and it was amazing. I think it's one of Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's best efforts and I've seen all of their documentaries. The most interesting part for me is that they did a lot of filming in Vietnam and the interviews with the ex-NVA and Viet Cong are absolutely fascinating. I've read a lot of Vietnam War histories and I'm learning new stuff with every episode.

I highly recommend this series.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
We watched the episode on the Tet Offensive last night and it was amazing. I think it's one of Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's best efforts and I've seen all of their documentaries. The most interesting part for me is that they did a lot of filming in Vietnam and the interviews with the ex-NVA and Viet Cong are absolutely fascinating. I've read a lot of Vietnam War histories and I'm learning new stuff with every episode.

I highly recommend this series.
It is also fascinating that the Vietnamese have completely forgiven the US and mostly gone back to their simple life of raising a few chickens and pigs on a small holding. President Johnson called them a 'Ragged arsed little nation'' but in the field, they beat the most powerful nation on earth.

This has been done before.

Vietnam - A Television Series.JPG

This 13 part series was made by WGBH Boston in 1983 and was shown on PBS nationally in the Fall of 1983. It has all of the talking heads who were involved in the war, including those from the north such as Le Duc Tho, General Giap, etc., but much younger. Also interviewed was Commander Everett Alvarez whose A-4 Sky Hawk was shot down on August 5, 1964 over North Vietnam. He spent the next 8 years in captivity. GEN Giap was shown in the series chuckling about that. I'm glad he thought it was funny.

On August 5, 1964, during Operation Pierce Arrow, LTJG. Alvarez's Douglas A-4 Skyhawk was shot down in the immediate aftermath of what is known as the Gulf of Tonkin incident. Alvarez endured eight years and seven months of brutal captivity by the North Vietnamese at the Hỏa Lò Prison (sarcastically known as the "Hanoi Hilton" by fellow POWs), in which he was repeatedly beaten and tortured.[4] Alvarez was especially esteemed by his fellow prisoners because he was for almost a year the only aviator prisoner of war.[5]
A captain I served with used this TV series as part of his thesis to get a degree in political science from Cardinal Stritch University. I helped him polish it, but it was his own work. He served in the Philippines during 1970-72 at NAS Cubi Point in support of the air campaign against North Vietnam so he had definite opinions. A sound man and a good officer.

philc

LE
Enjoyable and educational.

Really good viewing and very informative...I'll be watching the rest in the upcoming weeks!

Latest Threads