Keith Vaz Resigns...

He's also the perfect embodiment of the Blair Cabal that is destroying this country.

I thought Vaz came from Yemen...?
Vaz was born of an unholy miscegenation of axle-grease and slimy ambition, probably within a cloaca of some sort; the Middle East is therefore a natural place for his start in life.

I don't say that out of any nasty prejudice or bigotry (no, really), although from the first time I saw his mug on the television or newspaper photograph I suspected it; what makes me truly wonder is the fact that a large constituency actually voted for him to be their voice in Parliament; Abbott, Webbe, Butler, Burgon; why do the constituencies think that these people are fit to represent them? It's genuinely astonishing, and can only be put down to the 'party system' whereby the people don't actually choose, but a claque in a smoke and coke-filled room do.

I find it offensive. The Labour and Liberal parties (and the Conservatives) have had some exemplary people on their benches, but some are the slime at the bottom of the pond; the cold grounds in the pot. We should do better.

I thought Vaz came from Yemen...?
Born in Aden when it belonged to us but of Goan heritage. From wiki:

Keith Vaz was born in the British crown colony of Aden,[3] on 26 November 1956,[4] to Anthony Xavier and Merlyn Verona Vaz.[5][6] The Vaz family hailed from Goa, now an Indian state, which accounts for his Goan-Portuguese surname.[7] Vaz is a distant relative of Saint Joseph Vaz, a 17th-century missionary.[8] He moved to England with his family in 1965, settling in Twickenham.

Worldly wise in so many areas, you are delightfully innocent in this one. You may recall the expenses scandal a few years back where MPs mistakenly overclaimed, flipped houses for tax and expense purposes and generally did what could be taken as theft, fraud and embezzlement if done by a member of the general public. In the MP's case they decided that no rules had actually been broken so money was paid back and normal jogging was resumed. One of the few times when the HoC abandoned party politics to present a united front against the rest of the UK population. Who were calling for justice.

I also recollect some MP buying a house with a mortgage while forgetting to mention a BFO 'loan' from a rich friend. Possibly fraud. But they aren't an MP anymore.

Exiled to the House of Lords.
Possibly I'm naïve on the subject. I do recollect various politicians being jailed over the years for various acts of perjury, fraud and financial skullduggery. Perhaps these crimes have to occur outside the protected Westminster bubble.

ETA: A former minister called Elliot Morely - as in more and moreley - got jailed for 16 months for fiddling expenses. I had a feeling the scandal did break at least one. There was also a disgraceful situation where a Labour harridan exploited a legal loophole, claiming to be mentally ill. Without a clever barrister she was a dead cert for prison.

Last edited:

Chef

LE
Possibly I'm naïve on the subject. I do recollect various politicians being jailed over the years for various acts of perjury, fraud and financial skullduggery. Perhaps these crimes have to occur outside the protected Westminster bubble.
Actually, delete 'Innocent' insert 'Hopeful'

Some MPs have been jailed but it doesn't seem to happen often enough.

Unless she wanted a new washing machine.
Gold plated with knobs on and surround sound. She was the conduit, benefiting from a 'heads-up' on a legal change within immigration law, influenced by him.

Lauded to a community in the Midlands where he held sway, kerching, the cash rolled into his household., allegedly of course.

Gold plated with knobs on and surround sound. She was the conduit, benefiting from a 'heads-up' on a legal change within immigration law, influenced by him.

Lauded to a community in the Midlands where he held sway, kerching, the cash rolled into his household., allegedly of course.

I'm almost grudgingly respectful.

Almost.

It leaves too foul a taste in the mouth to actually respect his Machiavellian precision and flair of venal sociopathic creativity. The Blair years distilled to their essence.

NSP

LE

ETA: A former minister called Elliot Morely - as in more and moreley - got jailed for 16 months for fiddling expenses. I had a feeling the scandal did break at least one. There was also a disgraceful situation where a Labour harridan exploited a legal loophole, claiming to be mentally ill. Without a clever barrister she was a dead cert for prison.
I think the Labour Party contributed the most custodial sentences in the reckoning post-expenses scandal.

The Blair years distilled to their essence.
Vaz's colleague Mandelson had an adept method of escaping visa conventions and mortgage signatures as suited his needs.
Not that the laws of the land necessarily applied to them, a point that escaped Cherie Blair's legal chambers, while commoners were being jailed for such offences.

Then again, how is one to own a considerable number of properties, unless the appearance of obeying the laws of the land is simply that.

Don't forget he was a lawyer before becoming an MP so he got good training.
That was one of the characteristics of the Blair government. Half of them were lawyers, Blair included.

Vaz's colleague Mandelson had an adept method of escaping visa conventions and mortgage signatures as suited his needs.
Not that the laws of the land necessarily applied to them, a point that escaped Cherie Blair's legal chambers, while commoners were being jailed for such offences.

Then again, how is one to own a considerable number of properties, unless the appearance of obeying the laws of the land is simply that.

Not just politicians, remember when Harry Redknapps dog was found to have opened an offshore bank account with millions stashed away

Tommy Robertson was jailed for mortgage fraud. Fair enough. Thats the law of the land. Mandy did the same thing but his punishment was being sent to a cushy highly paid job in Brussels and when that finished a few years later, Tony made him a Lord in the House of Lords and he was back in government as a Minister. No pesky elections or having to find a safe seat. And they wonder why people become cynical with politicians.

Weird eh! People who sit in the House of Commons to make laws are trained lawyers...
A bit like putting the lunatics in charge of the asylum.

Or the criminals in charge of the prison...

Not just politicians, remember when Harry Redknapps dog was found to have opened an offshore bank account with millions stashed away
Fair point. I'd forgotten that while focussing on the politicos. That "loadsa money and red braces culture" how obscene it now appears. Time does not matter in bringing it to mention or task.

Vaz claims illness while heading a regular Midlands radio show. He further extols his views in journalistic sojourns, fees attached of course while proclaiming illness as an excuse to appear before a Parliamentary Committee of his peers to answer questions of National interest.

I'm generally strongly opposed to the authorities putting someone's life under a microscope in the hope of finding evidence of criminal wrongdoing. Going on fishing trips, just because somebody's face doesn't fit shouldn't be the British way. Nobody should be investigated unless they are the subject of a formal complaint or clear evidence of wrongdoing has emerged.

In Vaz's case, dig as deep as you like. Invade his privacy and turn him upside down and inside out. Go back to when he stole from the tuck shop and pulled penny ante scams in the school playground. Get the forensic accountants in and unravel him a thread at a time.

I'm generally strongly opposed to the authorities putting someone's life under a microscope in the hope of finding evidence of criminal wrongdoing. Going on fishing trips, just because somebody's face doesn't fit shouldn't be the British way. Nobody should be investigated unless they are the subject of a formal complaint or clear evidence of wrongdoing has emerged.

In Vaz's case, dig as deep as you like. Invade his privacy and turn him upside down and inside out. Go back to when he stole from the tuck shop and pulled penny ante scams in the school playground. Get the forensic accountants in and unravel him a thread at a time.

Fair points. There is a trail of disillusioned civil servants, who, at the time, were instructed by protocol to STFU. He's a minister after all was the chorus.

Vaz understood the game and played his rules to the financial full. The grandeur security image of a personal lift, when a side door entrance and one short flight of stairs would have gotten him into UK VISAS without fuss and to his money-making pension fund.

So it's examination time....................and 'Jim' claims illness. Forensic accountants? Good luck with that avenue.

Latest Threads