Keith Vaz Resigns...

Not quite. They should conform to certain basic mores and customs. No civilised guest tells the host what he must serve for supper, and the presence of one vegetarian at a barbecue should not keep the others from their sirloins.
(Apparently the use of the word 'civilised' or 'civilisation' is colonialist or racist or something now; Mary Beard is suffering an infestation of this sort at the moment. I do hope those words are used more hereafter)
However, they aren't guests.
Guests are welcomed and invited.

Just read this and it sickens me, and if its true yet another reason to remove EU legislation from our system. They are a corrupt consortium only looking to further individual gain.

British cops are unlikely to probe Keith Vaz’s property empire not least because of a rule protecting politicians from scrutiny placed in UK law at the behest of the European Union. Tory MP Andrew Bridgen asked the National Crime Agency to serve an unexplained wealth order on Vaz. Fortunately for Vaz measures put into the Criminal Finances Act (2017) mean politicians in the EEA can only be served with such an order if there is sufficient suspicion that they are involved in serious organised criminality.

EU Rule Prevents British Cops Probing MPs' Finances - Guido Fawkes

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I bet I wasn't the only person not to know that. Not a hope in hell of that rule being changed even with Brexit.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Just read this and it sickens me, and if its true yet another reason to remove EU legislation from our system. They are a corrupt consortium only looking to further individual gain.

British cops are unlikely to probe Keith Vaz’s property empire not least because of a rule protecting politicians from scrutiny placed in UK law at the behest of the European Union. Tory MP Andrew Bridgen asked the National Crime Agency to serve an unexplained wealth order on Vaz. Fortunately for Vaz measures put into the Criminal Finances Act (2017) mean politicians in the EEA can only be served with such an order if there is sufficient suspicion that they are involved in serious organised criminality.

I suppose that's a clue as to why so many MPs do not want to leave the European Union.

Fortunately for Vaz measures put into the Criminal Finances Act (2017) mean politicians in the EEA can only be served with such an order if there is sufficient suspicion that they are involved in serious organised criminality.
I'd be interested to see the justification for inclusion of that clause in the legislation...

I'd be interested to see the justification for inclusion of that clause in the legislation...
Probably something along the lines of 'unfair to investigate someones private finances without any evidence of wrongdoing'.
A bit like Stop and Search being unfair just 'cos I is black!'

Though if your point is that MP's have a free pass, when Joe Public doesn't, I would agree.

Political establishment is starting to sink.

Political establishment is starting to sink.
Starting?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So Jim The Washing machine Salesman will back claiming more 'Expences' to buy up yet more property for his Empire. Like Parlimentry Privalige it needs to be abolished. Like 'Oh Jeremy Corbyn' claiming British Armed Forces are directing the War in Yemen using it to rant his Politburo views without having to prove it.

Contrary to the accepted Arrse opinion that all politicians are venal scum who are only in it for themselves, I believe that the vast vast majority are generally honest and their motivation for entering politics is to to promote the good and betterment of their constituents. I may completely disagree with their beliefs and their methodologies, but I am confident that most politicians are doing, or trying to do their best to improve things for us and the nation.

However for every ten honest MPs like Thatcher or Cox or Widdecombe or Rees-Mogg or Field, there's some slug like Vaz smearing them all with his behaviour. Until all the parties clean house and remove these corrupt parasites, however effective and astute they may be, politics will continue to reek.

So Jim The Washing machine Salesman will back claiming more 'Expences' to buy up yet more property for his Empire. Like Parlimentry Privalige it needs to be abolished. Like 'Oh Jeremy Corbyn' claiming British Armed Forces are directing the War in Yemen using it to rant his Politburo views without having to prove it.
Expenses
Parliamentary
Privilege

Top tip- turn your spellchecker on. Alternatively, learn to spell.

No charge, happy to help.

Contrary to the accepted Arrse opinion that all politicians are venal scum who are only in it for themselves, I believe that the vast vast majority are generally honest and their motivation for entering politics is to to promote the good and betterment of their constituents. I may completely disagree with their beliefs and their methodologies, but I am confident that most politicians are doing, or trying to do their best to improve things for us and the nation.

However for every ten honest MPs like Thatcher or Cox or Widdecombe or Rees-Mogg or Field, there's some slug like Vaz smearing them all with his behaviour. Until all the parties clean house and remove these corrupt parasites, however effective and astute they may be, politics will continue to reek.
Hence "some of them" in my post.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

You may think there are MPs who are honest but none of them will be there for their constituents and the good of their party, otherwise there would be a cleansing of the houses with those who cheat and lie being known to all.