Keeping your rank in civvie street....

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Strongbow, Feb 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I went to a do the other day, where the vast majority where ex officers from all three services.
    Most of them refered to themselves on their name badges, and introductions by their retired ranks... ie Colonel etc.
    I found it very irritating , and frankly, quite sad. They seemed to have become what they used to be!!
    I was not an officer..... so..... Am I being narrow minded, or ungracious?

Regards,
    John. :?

2. When I get out I might start getting people to refer to me as corporal. Maybe it would start a trend, would be even funnier because no one even calls me that at work at the moment!!!

3. Isn't it just a tradition that they have grabbed on to??

4. Its great when you have to phone them and they answer with their rank they always seem to forget to tell you that they are actully retired and no more authority than any other civvie.

5. I think senior officers are allowed to retain the honoric rank title. That is Sqn Ldr, Maj or Lt Cdr (Retd) and above. The higher up you go the more interested people seem to be in keeping their rank, but thats probably because General X is employed as a director of xxx arms company because he was a General and needs to keep up appearences

That said I was at a dinner where the star guest was an ex 2 star who insisted he was called General as if he was in the Mess. He lost total cred and we all took great delight in addressing each other as Mr Y, Z etc if within earshot - it was simply inappropriate for the event.

That said you may all now address me as Leading Arrsespanker Crab (LAC for the pongoes)

RC

6. Is this true Leading Arrsespanker Crab or is it another myth from military history?
    Why would anyone want to be known by their ex-rank (I understand officers who sit on a board of directors)
    Are officers who resign in disgrace allowed to be known by their rank?
    It seems a bit waltish.

7. Had cause to ring the Garrison SSO's the other day and spoke to the the big man himself, Col retired of course. Anyway I set about asking for advice on a subject when he very rudely put the phone down. What a cnut, had to pop in to the SSO's the day after and got collard by a WO in his dept who very kindly reminded me that he was a Retired Col you know. Cheers for that Cnut.

8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Yes - to both. End.

and no I don't do it myself.

9. There is some sort of protocol on this. I don't know what it is but I recall thet Capt Mark Phillips cause some comment when he 'retained' his rank on leaving the army. I always thought Colonel was the lowest in the army and Captain in the RN.

10. Go on. Someone make me feel old by asking who Mark Phillpis is.

11. msr

msr LE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Phillips

Upon passing out from Sandhurst, Phillips was commissioned into 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards in 1969, where he acquired the nickname "Foggy" on the grounds that he was "thick and wet". Since leaving the Army he has continued to style himself Captain Mark Phillips

msr

12. I still answer to smudge

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Field rank and above.

Any below are (even) sadder twats for retaining the post noms.

Let go ffs. Everyone just thinks you can't get along on your personality in civvy street*.

*Most cant which is why they stay in and around the military.

Bunch of dribbling cnuts.

Across the road from us is like a Saga holiday camp not an HQ. Maybe thats why the Corps will disappear within 10 years?

14. Says you.......

Even in your Civies your Gola tracksuit has Cpl Flash written on it