Keeping pay

I'm looking into transferring across from the Navy to the Army. I'm a Leading Hand (a CPL in army speak) and I understand I will loose my rank and start again from the bottom which is fair enough. But as they say you'll only get a deduction of pay for dicaplinary reasons, will I go back to the private pay scale or have a pay freeze until I catch up to where I am currently?

Anyone in the know on this here?

Thanks.

I'm looking into transferring across from the Navy to the Army. I'm a Leading Hand (a CPL in army speak) and I understand I will loose my rank and start again from the bottom which is fair enough. But as they say you'll only get a deduction of pay for dicaplinary reasons, will I go back to the private pay scale or have a pay freeze until I catch up to where I am currently?

Anyone in the know on this here?

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure you have to leave the Navy completely to join the army, therefor you will start at the same place as everyone else. (At the bottom).

What I've been told is if I go ahead with the transfer, and if I pass manning clarence then ill leave the navy the day before commencing phase 1 in the Army. However due to doing this I keep my seniority on JPA for pension etc. That's what I've been told officially however what I've been told by other people (so chineese whisperes) that there's scope for me to keep my pay as I'm not actually leaving the armed forces per say as they know people who have done this before. Im wanting to know if there is any truth in these chineese whisperes.

Last edited:
What I've been told is if I go ahead with the transfer, if I pass manning clarence then ill leave the navy the day before commencing phase 1 in the Army. However due to doing this I keep my seniority on JPA. That's what I've been told officially however I've been told by other people (so chineese whisperes) that there's scope for me to keep my pay as I'm not actually leaving the armed forces per say. Im wanting to know if there is any truth in these chineese whisperes.
If you leave the Navy before you join the army then surely you are actually leaving the armed forces?
You might keep your LSA total, I'm pretty sure you dont keep your pay level, there is no benefit to the army for doing so.

Awesome thanks joe.

And I'm just not finding any enjoyment out of the RN anymore. I grew up on a farm and I enjoy being out in the field more than being on a ship. Theres not a chance in hell of me being able to do Lympstone so the Army seems to me like the logical way to go.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer