Keeping lizards as pets.

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Ravers, Oct 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Woke up this morning to find my fish tank had sprung a major leak and had dumped half it's contents on my sitting room floor. After a frantic half hour of mopping up water and putting my fish in a bucket, I realised that my tank definitely will not be useable for fish again. The glass isn't cracked but the seal around the bottom has gone.

I took my fish to the nearest pet shop and gave them away, figuring it was better than letting them die a slow death in the bucket. At the shop I noticed a couple of bearded lizards, I'd never seen these before and they look cool as ****.

My thoughts immediately turned to building a vivarium using my old fish tank as a base. I spoke to the geeky but attractive teenage girl in the shop and she explained that the priorities where ventilation, a really warm spot and a cooler sheltered spot.

I purchased a lamp and a heat mat and made my way to wickes to buy some sand and some mesh. After an hour of tinkering at home my creation was complete. I reckon I've done a fairly pukka job and it looks quite tidy. The lamp and heat mat are over on one side to make a warm spot and the other side has my old fish tank plants and a log for some shelter. I've replaced half the lid with mesh and added the big lamp to the existing fluorescent tubes. I've used black and nasty to tape up any gaps big enough for a lizard to escape.

So next step is getting a lizard, I've never kept reptiles before and don't know anyone who does. Anyone on here into lizards? Specifically bearded lizards? Some decent advice would be very much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. If you mean Bearded Dragon Lizards they're mega, really docile and friendly and they're usually all right being handled. Watch out for their nails though as they can get sharp and scratch like a b*stard. The tank looks great by the way.

3. Ravers

Bearded dragons. That's right, not sure why I was thinking they are called bearded lizards, I'll blame the beers.

They look mega, the girl in the shop took one out and it was crawling all over her. Seems like a fun pet, also I'll be able to properly wind up the missus by telling her it's poisonous.

4. I have kept and bred bearded dragons for many years, great great pets, easily cared for really tame, nice personalities. I suggest you create an account at rfuk.co.uk where you will find all the info you need. Or feel free to PM me and il help you out with any info you need

5. Ravers

Will do, cheers for the advice.

6. Can you put the girl from the shop in there?

Then post here of course.

7. Ravers

That's my next mission. I'll need some bait. What are teenagers into these days? Pokemon? YoYos?

8. Get a Gecko, they're awesome :)

9. I don't think a gecko would be very good bait.

You could borrow some of my copies of Just Seventeen to place in said Teen Trap?

10. An observation from my better half, who has kept dragons in the past. The mesh needs to be fine enough so that crickets (food) can't escape and get all over your house.

11. Just17? Is that old mag still running?! I was reading that about 15 years ago...When I was 9 haha.

You'd be surprised, my mate who keeps geckos gets lots of attention from girls coo-ing over his! He lets them crawl over the girl til they stop somewhere awkward like her boobs... then he can legitmately "rescue" her from the reptile and kop a feel at the same time. :)

12. Ravers

Good call, looks like my mesh is too big.

Bugger.

Attached Files:

13. She's had a look at the piccy and she said a wooden lid with holes drilled in that are small enough to keep the crickets on would do. And also will keep the heat in better

14. Ravers

Cheers for the advice, I still have the old fish tank lid and will get the Black and Decker out in the morning.

15. Anytime. Let us know how it turns out