Keeping it together

#1
As all must have noticed, there has been some pretty turbulent stuff happening on the site over the past month or so.

The rights and wrongs of individuals' actions can be, and have been, debated ad-nausium and I have no interest in rehashing those arguments here. I also don't want this to become another "Free Flash" thread, and hope that you lot won't turn it into one. As I'm sure Flash himself is aware, that will happen (or not) in true military style if and when the COs decide it should.

What I do want to say is that this whole situation is damaging. To the site itself and, more importantly, to the image of the British Services.

As you enter the site, it states clearly that this is not an "official" military establishment but that does not mean that people won't judge the military by what they see here. For anyone who's looked at the stats page recently, ARRSE has about 8 million page hits a month, or 300000 every single day. That's a lot of people who will form an opinion, or have their opinion affected, by what they see here.

Ask yourselves honestly, if you can, what they see? Is it a bunch of tough, sharp-tongued fighters standing up for what they believe in? Is it gritty, irreverent, humour that builds a bond between people suffering hardship to benefit their fellow man? Is it even serious discussion of matters that affect the welfare of those serving their country?

They'll see all that, if they look hard enough. ARRSE really is a unique place where service personnel can express their views and attitudes, in public, without fear of recrimination. Where ex-services can remind themselves what made their time in what it was, good or bad. Where civilians are priviliged to be able to see a little of what makes us tick and, if they've got the balls, even come and have the squaddie-piss taken out of them.

But, recently, any visitors' first impression will have been a bunch of people squabbling like mlarrrs over a pot of Ben and Jerry's, with no apparent regard for discipline and visciously attacking anything they don't personally agree with. That's one hell of an unjust image to put forward for the British Army, but it's the image this site has been giving of late.

By all means, carry on the movement, but bear in mind that this place has a high enough profile that if you tear the walls down people will notice, and it will be the image of the British Squaddie, not the site, that bears the shame.

As for recent attempts to change the COs' minds, when exactly was the last time any of you changed a Command decision by walking into the OR and pinning "The CO's a cnut" over Pt 2's?
 
G

Goku

Guest
#2
This recent bickering and ill feeling is down to the COs vendetta against Flash IMHO.

If they would just leave their new toy alone and cease with the constant banning of every incarnation of the Lord, without justification, then all this would calm down and blow over.
 
#3
Agreed Goku.
It does seem to me, that a lot of the ill feeling has stemmed from that, and the feeling that it is one rule for some, and not others.
You only have to look at the recent exploits of the ultimate troll (IMHO) Chimpy, which took far too long to be identified as a troll, as an example.
 
#4
suits_U said:
Agreed Goku.
It does seem to me, that a lot of the ill feeling has stemmed from that, and the feeling that it is one rule for some, and not others.
You only have to look at the recent exploits of the ultimate troll (IMHO) Chimpy, which took far too long to be identified as a troll, as an example.
Flash posted the CO's real name in a thread tonight and Goku, you also posted it in your post quoting his.....

Goku said:
The_Lord_Flasheart_IX said:
(CO's real name)any time you want to stop acting like a prick, just let me know ;)
Them’s fighting words :wink:
The ultimate source of trouble on this site has always been the man behind the name of Flash. This is just a website, but that man harms real lives and is a real menace. I do now understand that few here see the truth of that..but there's far more to things than the eye can see.
Let things settle a bit and trust the CO's to sort the wheat from the chaff.
 
#5
I've not been on this site very long, but I have enjoyed reading The Lord Flashheart's posts, in all his guises and I think he should be left alone. After all, the character he bases his name on is supposed to be an opinionated, egotistical,overbearing and nauseatingly quick-witted b#stard.
LONG LIVE FLASHY in whatever guise. :headbang: :headbang:
 
#6
saintstone said:
I've not been on this site very long, but I have enjoyed reading The Lord Flashheart's posts, in all his guises and I think he should be left alone. After all, the character he bases his name on is supposed to be an opinionated, egotistical,overbearing and nauseatingly quick-witted b#stard.
LONG LIVE FLASHY in whatever guise. :headbang: :headbang:
Agreed if it was just on the site..however the real man behind the name also operates outside the site using this site as his base and launches long running campaigns of stalking and harrassment against women. He uses ARRSE members to back him up and assist him with this...and he always provides convincing enough stories (lies) to make his cause plausible. They too are used by him and completely fooled by him. This is part of the game he plays.
The guy needs psychiatric help basically...he's not as he seems.
 
#7
spunkymonkey said:
bump for a reason
....and I know you must have worked hard on the troll filter spunky..and there will of course be great benefit from it... and yes, yannie does seem extremely odd....but flash is the key to this.....no one would even notice yannies occasional blathering if he wasn't so obsessed with her and kept posting about her. With no threads mentioning her she'd not be an issue. Flash is the issue..he's a bit mad basically...beleive me I found that out the hard way!
 
#8
spunkymonkey said:
Before posting on this thread, please read the request on my first post and do not try to derail it. Keep your personal grievances to any of the many other threads already covering them.

Thank you very much.
Sorry spunky...I do hope you'll see though that this is the key issue.
And on your first point..there is an awful lot on the site that does a diservice to the reputation of the Army..so perhaps a new broom needs to sweep around the site generally...if protecting its reputation is seen as a high priority
 
#10
Good CO said:
For the post asking for direction - its is very clearly laid down in the site rules. Basically it's 'use the site, enjoy it and don't break the golden rules of no direct identification and no breaches of opsec', plus a few others to try and keep the sensible bits sensible and the rough bits rough and liberal.
Can you let me know why all of my incarnations have been banned please?


Good CO said:
We tried spunkymonkeys mod and within a day the very person who hates them so much and is very busy letting everyone know was complaining like hell that he couldn't see the trolls' posts and doing everything possible to stop it working!
I think you need to re-read my posts supporting the mod and actually trying to steer people away from trying to ID trolls who have been tagged. I thought you were the sensible one of the pair?
 
#11
It did strike me this morning looking at the Dolphins thread that the terms "AAC" and "Bringing in to disrepute" began to form a sentence. Given the evident closeness of those who founded the site it is fairly obvious to anyone who bothers to think about it that they are all AAC.

At the end of the day, two AAC personnel need to resolve their differnces and here is not a good place to do it even if one owns the site and one was here form the start.
 
#12
spunkymonkey said:
As all must have noticed, there has been some pretty turbulent stuff happening on the site over the past month or so.

The rights and wrongs of individuals' actions can be, and have been, debated ad-nausium and I have no interest in rehashing those arguments here. I also don't want this to become another "Free Flash" thread, and hope that you lot won't turn it into one. As I'm sure Flash himself is aware, that will happen (or not) in true military style if and when the COs decide it should.

What I do want to say is that this whole situation is damaging. To the site itself and, more importantly, to the image of the British Services.

As you enter the site, it states clearly that this is not an "official" military establishment but that does not mean that people won't judge the military by what they see here. For anyone who's looked at the stats page recently, ARRSE has about 8 million page hits a month, or 300000 every single day. That's a lot of people who will form an opinion, or have their opinion affected, by what they see here.

Ask yourselves honestly, if you can, what they see? Is it a bunch of tough, sharp-tongued fighters standing up for what they believe in? Is it gritty, irreverent, humour that builds a bond between people suffering hardship to benefit their fellow man? Is it even serious discussion of matters that affect the welfare of those serving their country?

They'll see all that, if they look hard enough. ARRSE really is a unique place where service personnel can express their views and attitudes, in public, without fear of recrimination. Where ex-services can remind themselves what made their time in what it was, good or bad. Where civilians are priviliged to be able to see a little of what makes us tick and, if they've got the balls, even come and have the squaddie-urine taken out of them.

But, recently, any visitors' first impression will have been a bunch of people squabbling like mlarrrs over a pot of Ben and Jerry's, with no apparent regard for discipline and visciously attacking anything they don't personally agree with. That's one hell of an unjust image to put forward for the British Army, but it's the image this site has been giving of late.

By all means, carry on the movement, but bear in mind that this place has a high enough profile that if you tear the walls down people will notice, and it will be the image of the British Squaddie, not the site, that bears the shame.

As for recent attempts to change the COs' minds, when exactly was the last time any of you changed a Command decision by walking into the OR and pinning "The CO's a cnut" over Pt 2's?
Hmmmm. I wonder who wants to be a MOD? you remind me of the little wheezy kid with glasses who used to hide behind the teachers legs whilst making w*nker signs at his antagonists.
 
#13
spunkymonkey said:
But the first impression that most get is created by a tiny part of that small minority who seem intent on childishly displaying the worst, most destructive, side of squaddie temperament at all times.
Surely if that is confined to the naafi, then there is no problem. After all, there is a warning sign on the door to that particular forum.

Therefore, if you don't want to read it, don't enter.
 
#14
So what, there's a warning sign on the door - a disclaimer - enter at own risk.

I was always under the impression that ARRSE was started as a place away from the restrictions of the Army. A place for people to speak freely, moan like fcuk and abuse each other.

Are you saying that now it is so recognised it must become a commercial commodity, at the expense of what once made it so popular?

Is ARRSE is going to get all PC and become terrified to go against the OFFICIAL party line? If it lets outside influences dictate to it, then everyone may aswell just go back to reading Soldier Mag....., they can't sh it without the Army's say so either.

I do understand your point, but it does look like ARRSE is fast becoming under the control of outside influences and may end up just another watered down version of the bollox that Media Ops spout.
 
#15
MB, to keep ARRSE in line with official policy I have had the sum total of.... zero phonecalls with MOD or anyone similar. If anything we're less worried about the party line than 4 years ago. However I know from experience that I shouldn't expect anything positive, intelligent or helpful from you so I'm not going to worry about the accusation.
 
#17
Good CO said:
MB, to keep ARRSE in line with official policy I have had the sum total of.... zero phonecalls with MOD or anyone similar. If anything we're less worried about the party line than 4 years ago. However I know from experience that I shouldn't expect anything positive or helpful from you so I'm not going to worry about the accusation.
It's wasn't meant to be an accusation, just an observation which I would be happy to be corrected on.

I was responding to SM's post about the naafi and how it is viewed now. Surely that pointed to the fact the site has become much more of a commercial entity?

I was simply giving an opinion as to how it would naturally change the dynamics of the site. And it HAS changed. But who are the influence behind it? Who is it you are trying to please?

Do you not think the site has changed and the moderating has become much more robust, with it now focussing on a forum, where traditionally anything goes?

I'm actually not trying to have a pop at you, but I am surprised you have labelled me unhelpful because I have posted my opinion on here.

If you would rather have a site full of sycophants, where one opinion supports anothers then just say and I'll fcuk off.

PS - Nice edit to include in your post the fact you think I'm unintelligent. You really have got grumpy lately haven't you. 8O
 
#18
Moody, my post wasn't meant to suggest that ARRSE is becoming commercial - simply that it has a huge membership and that, for good or bad, it's often turned to (and quoted) for the "unofficial" views of serving personnel.

That gives it a hell of a lot of potential to benefit every single serving soldier, but that potential is harmed when those viewing it can counter the views with "but look at the mentality of the people expressing them".

Regardless of whether its future is as a purely commercial concern, a pure outlet for squaddie viewpoints, or something in between, if it's users can be dismissed as a bunch of bickering troublemakers then it loses any value whatsoever.
 
#19
If the site wants to evolve into something more serious and Current Affairs based then that is the CO's business and no-one elses.

But be careful, if you lose the humour that made the site what it is today, you may leave a gap in the market for someone else to come and nick the sites crown, along with its members ;)
 

Top