Keeping it in the family

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by k13eod, Jun 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't know if there is a similar topic on here. I can't find it, so if there is I look forward to hearing and will move me 'arris over.

Lots of people currently researching family backgrounds especially now that info can be readily got on the internet. My old feller is in his mid 70's and spends most of his spare time chasing leads and sorting out family photos ... now he's bought a laptop! Being an ex soldier he his keen on the old family military history and it seems our clan have been cannon fodder throughout the ages. So far, and on my dads side:

My great great grandfather was a Csgt in the Royal Marines

My great grandfather was Royal Berkshire Regt and then RE and served in the Boer War [edited] and then WW1

My grandfather was 25 years in the Navy and served throughout WW2. Interestingly he had been awarded his LS&GC before all his war medals.

My dad served in Korea with the RAOC

I served in RE for 24 years (my 3 brothers & sister did not serve)

On my my mums side he hasn't got far yet but 5 of her brothers served during WW2 and her dad was Navy in WW1 and special constable WW2

Not much really, but got me thinking. I knew a Scottish family who had three brothers serving in the RE when I first joined and their dad and granddad had both been RE. But I am sure that for some of the infantry regiments there are even more family ties.

So ... do tell!
  2. I started a similar project last September as the TV was sending me off to sleep. I have found a range of military connections through all the services and over a large number of years. I have just found that an uncle was killed taking hill 1250 at Beersheba in 1917. The battle got it's name from a battle fought by Saladin in that year on this hill which is just out side Jerusalem. there are dozens of stories like this of battles that have long been forgotten. the other things is you can go on to CWWG site and see a picture of the cemetery where they buried. I think i have learnt more about history doing this than any thing else i have done for years

Brill stuff.

I found loads of family, only been to one, of a great uncle at Arnheim 30 years ago.

Was planning to discus family military history, before old man pops his clogs. Can't do it on the phone he's as deaf as a door post.

Thankfully both sides of the family have uncommon names, but there's relatives I don't know about.

Family tree time and the way I have sporadic sessions of lucidness, I'll add to this thread by 2023.

That's years not Hrs (in proper time).
  4. I found a group of Australian relatives that fought at Mafeking with the light horse. My grandfathers sister lost two boys one at Dunkirk with the Royal Sussex and another in North Africa with one of the Armoured Div's. The list is getting longer and longer each time I check up on people.
  5. Drop us a line of you want to find out:-

1) More about what someone was doing before they died. Its often possible to find out quite a lot about about someone from their unit history. It took about 20 minutes to find out quite a bit about "Poppy"'s uncle.

2) How to visit the locations of cemeteries, memorials and battlefields.
  6. Have you seen

Excellent film

7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Whilst researching family history I stumbled upon a name from the the village where my grandparents lived. Made some enquiries of aunt & was told 'Oh yes Joe was killed in WW1'. He was my grandfather;'s brother & I had never heard of him! From that other family members I have given my an amazing amount of original documents about him.
    Last year I went round the churchyard in another village to look at the names on the headstones & found a name on the War Memorial which might have a connection so asked the same aunt & was told that yes my grandmother had a brother killed in WW1. Again never told of him. But I now know who my father was named after!
    I know all about my uncle who was killed in WW2. Most likely as it is fresher in the memory.
  8. Must have been a pig of a conflict!!

My uncles were both Gunners (RA (post WW2) and RHA(WW2)) and my grandfather was too (RFA) although he served with the RFC mainly. My father was in the RAF and then the RSF. My mum was a Wren and her father a Black Watch WO1 and then IA QM. However before these, no military pedigree whatsoever. The 20th Century certainly turned our family attitude to military service around - although my great-great-great etc. grandfather may have been irregularly military, as he fled Ireland to Scotland in 1793! Either a tout or a croppy maybe??
  9. Me: RAF

Paternal Grandad: RWF TA(1930's), RWF Reg(1930's), Called up again for WW2, Royal Artillery, ended the war as a RQMSM.

Maternal Grandad: RA WW2

Paternal Great Uncle: RWF WW1 Died of wounds received in France.

Dad is doing family history, at the last count there were 9 coppers in the family, including Dad and me.
  10. A real pig! OK, my error ... 2nd Boer War ... or South African War of 1899-1902! :roll:
  11. Self -Army.
    Brother - RN Submariner.
    Uncle - RN Stoker.
    Grandfather- RN Stoker PO, WW2. He went right through the war, fought the Germans and Eyeties in the Med, then the Japs in the Indian Ocean and Pacific. Never said a word about the war, and we never found out where he'd been until after he died. One of his brothers was also RN, and was present on a destroyer on D-Day. They were both demobbed in 1946 for about six weeks, got bored and signed on with the RNZN for several more years. One of his cousins was sunk and killed in a submarine by the Japanese.
    Three great-uncles all Army WW2. One captured at Dunkirk, escaped from PoW camps twice, then put in a concentration camp. He escaped from that aswell, and got back to Blighty (don't know how). Another one fought in the Desert with 8th Army, and Italy, including Cassino. The other one also fought in Italy and was wounded at Anzio.
    Another Great Uncle was Merchant Navy, WW2.
    One Great Grandfather Merchant Navy/RNR Stoker torpedoed in WW1 in the Western Approaches, died in Plymouth (I think) of wounds received.
    Another Great Grandfather, RN Stoker, was at Jutland on Beattie's flagship (Lion or Tiger, I can never remember which one it was).
    Great Great Grandfather also RN, don't know any details other than that sails were still in fashion.
    No details beyond five generations, but I'm sure they were there.

Edited to add - forgot about a cousin of my Grandmother's, who was RN and present at the Invergordon Mutiny (1931?). We're a punchy lot, by the look of it.
  12. Six generations of cotton weavers in Blackburn, FFS. Talk about a dull family history project. Occasionally one of them would wander off to war when conscripted, but otherwise it was "Ooh, pass us another bobbin, Elsie."

My Grandad got MiD at Alamein, and my father did his bit, although he cried when I marched off the square at the Factory (PTSD).
  13. Now I have traced two Uncles who where killed on HMS Hartland in Oran harbour by the French. HMS Hartland had been an American Coastguard Ship and was on loan to Britain. Ike thought it would be a good idea to send a landing party into Oran harbour at the start of operation Torch to Size the dockyard. The only flaw in their planning was that they sent these ships in some hours after the beach landings and they got blown out of the water. There were some 300 American Soldiers on each of these boats all who where killed or badly injured. The survinig Captain of the the other ship was awarded the VC but he was shot down and killed while on his way home to get his medal