Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Signed

I hope that this does not come to fruition, but £100 million will be a very hard sum for the greedy good burghers of the various RFUs. If it does come about, and I am not hopeful that it will be stopped, then I wonder how much of the £100 will go back in to the grass roots of the game or how much will go on vanity projects by the various Unions!

As far as I'm concerned, the 6 Nations is just wonderful as it is now.
I have'nt heard anything about needing more money to maintain its present state, so IMO it is just about making more money.

That just leads to greed and will take our sport down the same road as Professional Football.

It doesn't bear thinking about.

Signed.

BIGBIRD101

War Hero
Signed

I hope that this does not come to fruition, but £100 million will be a very hard sum for the greedy good burghers of the various RFUs. If it does come about, and I am not hopeful that it will be stopped, then I wonder how much of the £100 will go back in to the grass roots of the game or how much will go on vanity projects by the various Unions!
It’s not even that lack of trickle down that’s my main concern. If it’s no longer there for everybody to see, you lose the casual viewer. Of these casual viewers hundreds get inspired to have a crack at playing, probably thousands if you include kids. It’s the best marketing platform rugby has after the World Cup.

May as well just issue kids an Xbox at birth and give parents “how to handle diabetes” pamphlet

From the article
"The Six Nations board is expected to be in a position to forge ahead with the CVC proposal shortly. They believe keeping some of the matches for terrestrial television will help deflect some of the anger that the move is expected to generate "

With no disrespect intended, I will take a guess at the games between Italy and the other teams will still be free to air?

The viewing numbers for F1 tell it all (apologies in advance for linking to The Guardian)

CVC ownership of F1 should serve as a warning to Premiership Rugby | Giles Richards

Signed

All the Unions are struggling, as witnessed with the job losses at RFU HQ. WRU, whilst getting the stadium debt down, are making a small surplus.

As far as Scottish Rugby goes - whilst the Operating Surplus is £2.17 million, debt according to the last Annual Report the bank loan has been reduced from £10 million to £3.5 million (average £2.4million?) since 2011 – but cashflow (from the Operating Surplus) has not been strong enough to service the repayment programme and provide the necessary working capital.

BT Murrayfield was last renovated 22 years ago and is in need of substantial work/investment. On top of that their annual wage bill is around £28m, and that is only going to go up with the money being put into the Super 6 this coming season.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
It’s not even that lack of trickle down that’s my main concern. If it’s no longer there for everybody to see, you lose the casual viewer.
Yep. I'm not a huge rugby fan but if it's on I'll watch it. Would I buy a special subscription to watch it? Nah. And from reading the article, it's not even confirmed that it's going to be 'only' Sky or BT that may show it, so if you have Sky, you may now also need BT (which is the situation at the moment with soccer). If you're a fan of a different sport or number of sports, you'll need a subscription for that as well. I'm an ice hockey fan so on top of any other sports service, I still need to shell out for NHL TV too. The cash cow's getting it's teats yanked pretty hard.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Although I suppose one of the Union's could have leaked this to force the BBC and ITV to cough up more cash if we're being cynical.

Signed & Shared :( .

Signed and shared.
Sadly it would seem that the inevitable descent into corporate BS is happening to RU.
It's only a matter of time before ad breaks are added every 10 mins or so during the game and players sit on the touchline with oxygen masks on!

aardvark64

Old-Salt
Signed.

Latest Threads