It has the King's Crown on the poster. Have a word with these people:

Crown Copyright Administrator
Directorate of Intellectual Property Rights
Ministry of Defence
Poplar 2 #2218
MOD Abbey Wood
Bristol BS34 8JH

e-mail: DIPR-CC

[video=youtube;ZR6wok7g7do]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6wok7g7do&feature=related[/video]

Ahhhhh,the outrage bus must be red on James. Thought there would have been a lot more 'harumphing' at this attempt to claim this British icon for oneself and cash in.

I don't think his copyrights working very well as i bought one of the posters last week and when i was at a trade show in september every man and his dog were selling the original and variations on it, and you can have them on anything from a mugs to bags to even a thong for the ladies.

429465614v3_480x480_Front_Color-White.jpg

so i dont think theirs much to worry about sound advice though

Dont panic!

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
If I was some sort of Pikey barrow boy and making money out of something, would I be bothered about thousands of names on a petition? The thing is out of Crown copyright and if Barter Books and your brother own the only two originals they might be better off with a legal challenge, although having met Stuart and Mary Manley I doubt they can be arsed. Finally, this Coop character has not a hope in hell of enforcing, unless he wants to spend the rest of his life in Court. The thing is like the CND symbol. Its out there.

What, like your brother you mean?
He aint cashing in on anything he's just a WW2 geek. If he were to however, fair do's as this is a British icon there to be enjoyed by the british people one and all.

Why the fuss about copyrighting it then?
Are you a bit broken? If he copyrights it then he has sole rights to that image and it's reproduction. If he so chooses to, he could remove it from public circulation completely.

Are you a bit broken? If he copyrights it then he has sole rights to that image and it's reproduction. If he so chooses to, he could remove it from public circulation completely.
That will never happen.It is now well and truly in the public domain,and the time and money your brother would expend trying to stop it from being reproduced certainly outweigh any benefit he would receive.
As the BBC link you thoughtfully provided mentions, your brother only has the copyright on certain items,so the people who have the copyright for ( IIRC ) "tea and coffee" could and would carry on using it.
I do however feel sorry for Stuart and Mary Manley.

That will never happen.It is now well and truly in the public domain,and the time and money your brother would expend trying to stop it from being reproduced certainly outweigh any benefit he would receive.
As the BBC link you thoughtfully provided mentions, your brother only has the copyright on certain items,so the people who have the copyright for ( IIRC ) "tea and coffee" could and would carry on using it.
I do however feel sorry for Stuart and Mary Manley.
Right, you seem to be a little confused, my brother is not Mark Coop. He owns 1 of 2 original posters in the public domain. He is campaigning along with the Manleys to overturn the EU trademark grant to Coop in order to allow all people to reproduce the poster as they so wish.
Mark Coop has trademarked the logo for certain items and is actively refraining others from producing them.
Is that a little clearer?

From that bastion of dodgy knowledge wikipedia -

Keep Calm and Carry On - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since Crown Copyright expires on artistic works created by the UK government after 50 years, the image is now in the public domain.
In August 2011 it was reported that a UK based company Keep Calm and Carry On Ltd has registered the slogan as a Community trade mark[11] and issued a take-down request against a seller of Keep Calm and Carry On products.[12] Questions have been raised whether the registration could be challenged as the slogan had been widely used before registration and is not recognisable as indicating trade origin.[13] An application has been submitted to cancel the trademark on the grounds that the words are too widely used for one person to own the exclusive rights
Take from that what you will, but If it's been registerd with the EU rather than our own goverment i don't think it'll mean much after all if the goverments copy right has expired i don't see how in this country he could have copyrighted it on his own after such a length in the public domain and if they object after a few years of high paid EU bollocks it would all just come down to being in the public domain.

Right, you seem to be a little confused, my brother is not Mark Coop. He owns 1 of 2 original posters in the public domain. He is campaigning along with the Manleys to overturn the EU trademark grant to Coop in order to allow all people to reproduce the poster as they so wish.
Mark Coop has trademarked the logo for certain items and is actively refraining others from producing them.
Is that a little clearer?
Lets see if I have got this right;
He owns a poster not the copyright.
You are telling me because I own a fiesta (Other gentlemans magazines are available)
Ford should not have the sole copyright on that model any more?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mugatu The NAAFI Bar 16
Lucretia The Intelligence Cell 0
Dr_Evil Army Reserve 154