Keep calm and carry on

Idrach said:
Dr_Evil said:
same number of R SIGNALS (I imagine, given that they have been culled so much already)
Nah, this is going to keep going down as kit starts to arrive that is 1990s design rather than 1960s - it just needs fewer bodies to maintain it, reg or reserve.
If only that was true, TA down several regiments (old kit), regular Army up at least two regiments (new kit). Although you could put that down to other reasons........

If you take what happened in TA RSigs, most CS or Combat regiments with a current potential formed unit role (overseas) will be cut - Its IR's or slightly more only. Bearing in mind these RSigs regiments were meant to provide comms to CSS units, the implications are the cuts extend to CSS anyway even if the TA restarts in April.

topkop said:
Like every plan it will fall apart at the first contact leaving the soldier TA or Regular the only option to keep calm and carry on, no amount of back biting between us will make it any easier.
I don;t see any back biting, just an honest exchange of views.

The only regret that I have is that there is no-one* listening.

msr

* grownup

fozzy said:
I think someone may have had second thoughts:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new.../Gordon-Brown-backtracks-on-TA-cutbacks.html#

The Devil is in the details - we'll see how this unfolds....

...but a chink of light?
Ahh beat me to it.

Looks like, possibly, it means getting paid for Tuesdays atleast.

But that wouldn't be the important part of this, the important part would be that if they are forced to back-peddle atleast partly on the decision then that means the TA is a little more sacred than we thought and that gives hope to the doom-sayers fortelling our disbanding in April!

Or am I being Optimistic?

Wasn't it the telegraph that leaked the original story ?

A cynic may think that we have been used as a pawn in a huge publicity stunt.

Of course this could be balls as well.

Big picture, anyone? War Office backtracks on fodder cuts for the TA cavalry's horses, August 1939. Yippee!

polar69 said:
Wasn't it the telegraph that leaked the original story ?

A cynic may think that we have been used as a pawn in a huge publicity stunt.

Of course this could be balls as well.
Surely not :)

"The Prime Minister is forced to retreat over "shameful" Territorial Army cuts amid fears it would turn into a political disaster to rival his humiliation over the Gurkhas...."

"Stupid Boy...!" as Capt Mainwaring would say. But should we beleive anything Gollums McRuin says. It looks more and more like as we creep week by week, nearer the General Election, Gordon Broone and Friends are making themselves look like bigger and bigger 'T-its'.... (But as is said... t-its are useful, McRuin and pals ain't).

Brown is looking more and more like a man on an out of control Pogo-stick. Maybe the question of his health and whether he is really 'Fit for Purpose' will be a matter for public discussion again. If as has been reported in the Press the 'Telegraph, Mr Milipede states that 'Blair has Motorcade factor.." may mean that Mr David Milipede is gunning for his next job ---- Leader of De Neues Partie Der Arbiet here in Dear Old Blighty.....

Pa Broone will just become more and more an irrelevancy in the coming months.... :roll: :roll: :p

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
If there is a reversal of the TA 'cuts', DO NOT expect the 'extra' funding to be found from anywhere else in the MOD budget - it simply is not there. As explained earlier, in-year management within most of MOD is very fraught these days, as so much spend is committed via PFI deals and other contractorisation, leaving littel 'real' money for the budget managers to actually manage.

Unless the money is found elsewhere in MOD or from HMT (rather unlikely!) what this will mean is that LAND will have to find £20m from elsewhere in their in-year spend - so expect drastic reductions in whatever is left in T&S, resettlement, property management, training, etc.

OldSnowy said:
If there is a reversal of the TA 'cuts', DO NOT expect the 'extra' funding to be found from anywhere else in the MOD budget - it simply is not there. As explained earlier, in-year management within most of MOD is very fraught these days, as so much spend is committed via PFI deals and other contractorisation, leaving littel 'real' money for the budget managers to actually manage.

Unless the money is found elsewhere in MOD or from HMT (rather unlikely!) what this will mean is that LAND will have to find £20m from elsewhere in their in-year spend - so expect drastic reductions in whatever is left in T&S, resettlement, property management, training, etc.
Or maybe the MOD will have to put off replacing their chairs (five years old now, after all) for a year.

In my unit we are just doing a bit of wheeler dealer business, shifting things around, taking from one for another and will be having paid Tuesday nights at the expense of a couple of weekend training days.
As we start our ramp up for pre deployment training next year we are not looking at having too many issues (well those of us that are deploying wont anyways) so wont really change much.

I would still come in on weekends C1 if it is training which is worthwhile (mil skills and the likes of) but if it is a di*k about weekend of hurry up and wait then no chance.

I think they should look at having a more structured Tuesday night training programme as I would agree we are wasting money by sitting round not doing anything.