Resource icon

Keela Saxon

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A new review has been created: Keela Saxon

COMPETITON: Details at the end! Closing date is whenever I decide, because I've just given up on timings. :D

Keela had sent me their Saxon outdoor activity jacket just as we hit the height of our fine Scottish summer, so the chances of trying it out in the wind and rain were few and fa….. oh, wait. I did say Scotland didn’t I? Yeah, our summer lasted about four days and it’s been raining cats, dogs and Siberian tigers ever since, so there was more than ample opportunity to put the jacket through its paces. Thankfully, it passed muster and showed again that Keela as a home grown Scottish outdoor clothing manufacturer can deliver the goods.

Designed with fairly active pursuits in mind (but with some caveats), the Keela Saxon is built around the concept of comfort and protection without the demands of a heavy duty jacket. It won’t see you to the top of Everest or keep you warm in the arctic, but if you’re moving and generating body warmth, the Saxon is an excellent lightweight protective jacket that will keep you dry and keep out the worst of the wind.

Starting from the top down the Keela Saxon has a three-way adjustable hood and it’s designed to fit over a cycle helmet or climbing helmet. The adjusters are toggles at the left and right front side of the hood as well as one at the back of the head. The front of the hood also has a wire ridge allowing you to shape and flex it in order to assist in rain runoff.

The toggles are supported by a loop of material attached to the hood which feeds through each toggle. I’m not quite sure what it’s for, other than perhaps to stop the toggle flaying about as you move, but I found it a little annoying – sometimes it would prevent me from fully loosening off the toggle on the back of the head and I would have to jerk my head forward to help loosen it off fully. I actually snipped this bit of fabric away and it was much better afterwards.

There’s a Velcro retaining strap for when the hood is rolled up but oddly enough, this means the hood sits on the inside against the neck, rather than the outside of the jacket. I thought this might create a pressure point on the nape of the neck, but I’ve worn the jacket carrying several different backpacks of different weights and positions on the back, and it’s not proved to be a problem.

There are two side pockets on the jacket that zip and seal up to give a waterproof barrier – the pockets will happily take the biggest...
Read the full review here...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AndySomerset Military Clothing & Boots 1
MrBane Competitions 19
MrBane Competitions 0

Latest Threads