Kebab chilli sauce

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by captaincalamity, May 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I had a look on t'Internet for a chilli sauce recipe, of the sort that is poured over ones kebab at the end of an evening. Came across this one - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080206142532AAw67zn

What does everyone think? Would jalapenos work? I like the pureed texture you get in kebab house sauce, and can't imagine that your average emporium would be preparing anything too sophisticated, and haven't been able to find anything on the supermarket shelves.

Cheers

2. That looks good...I'm not sure exactly how to replicate doner chilli sauce (there's a potential market there, I think) but I imagine if you did that recipe with either jalapeño or the small green chilis that are used over here for Indian cooking - I'd call them "serrano," but they're small, wiry and very hot - you'd probably be very close. Vinegar is the key, I think.

Serranos here...you can probably look for the similar pepper in your local grocery.

3. They look like birdseye chillis. I have just bought a sauce with scotch bonnet chillis and that's too sharp. The kebab house sauce is definitely more rounded. Vinegar you say?

4. thai sweet chilli sauce mixed with mayo, quick and easy

5. As a huge fan of uber hot sauces that also are piquant. Mrs K found me this in Tesco. Not sure of the price but is really nice. They only do the original flavour here in NI but I guess the big Tesco stores on the mainland may have the other flavours and a greater range.

http://www.cholula.com/

Try your local Asian Store and look for any non Far Eastern Sweet Chilli Sauce. Even better ask Mustapha where he gets his sauce !

6. My local Makro cash and carry has bog standard take away chilli sauce (it also does buckets of ready cooked and sliced donner meat)
    If you are desperate for some bung your local kebab house a couple of quid for the bottle.

7. Mmm, actual doner meat from Makro. Have to take a look at that!

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

9. Spike is that the one just off the Ormeau Road near the Ormeau bridge ?

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Lots of minced/finely chopped onions (for bulk)
    Minced chillis - the pickled ones that you find on the top of your kebab
    Chilli powder (lots of)
    Black pepper
    Salt
    Garlic powder
    Tomato puree

Stir it all up and simmer slowly to cook through the onions and spices. Add more spice/tomato puree/brown sauce to taste, and until it looks "about right". The overpowering taste is the chili powder and black pepper, all lost amongst the top notes of Stella, so they don't waste money on expensive fresh chillis.

Ok, ok - I had to pay my way through college somehow. Would you like sauce with that? Salad? (shudders)

11. you need some of this then!!

http://www.baronfoods.com/detail.asp?prod_ID=1552

12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Yes mate.Side of the old Group4 shed.
    While you're there,try this stuff,it's f***ing brilliant!especially the Black Pepper one!
    Big bag of Sainsbury's chicken portions,veg oil & water & you're set!FAR better than KFC!
    [​IMG]
    Ther're along the back wall,90p a box!
    Spike

13. Quick and Easy kebab Sauce

(inspired by a kebab wagon in Wokingham 20 odd years ago)
    1.Add a generous dollop of some pepper sauce to a small bowl. Currently I am enjoying Morrisons red Jalapeño one.

2. Add a spoonful of ready made mint sauce.

3. Add some Tomato Ketchup

4. mix well, taste and adjust above ingredients to suit.

For the kebab, I have found this to be pretty good:

A. Chop a chicken breast into bite sized lumps, and cook in a George Foreman until browned.

B. Chop up some raw onion, and some raw white cabbage.

C. Stick all this into a pitta, and smother in the above sauce.

This takes about 10mins to prepare and cook, even in a rat-arrsed state.

14. Bog standard kebab sos,

mix equal parts water and tomato sauce,

add chilli powder and salt to taste,

add roughly 1 teaspoon of (got to be) colemans mint sos, per roughly 1/2
    litre of red stuff

adjust thickness to your liking by alternating water/red sos. The cheaper the tomato sauce the betterresult.

( to make it pakora sos just substitute water for plain, cheapest available yogurt, and add a wee bit more mint sos an salt).

Heat and simmer for 5 mins if you can be arrsed. ( not pakora sos).

To poshen it up to the 'textured' variety you sometimes find add

standard mug full off chopped onions, and 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of tamarind paste, then blitz it.
    Again add or lessen onion quantity as per your taste.

There really is no exact science too it, and you can add/take away from the base sos as you like.
    :D

15. If you're in Ashford there is a shop in the main drag that does all sorts of hot sauces, plus dried meats and other bit, run by a nice South African bloke.