Kazakhstan

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
That's easy for you to say... ;-)

Serious note... I have an ex-Army mate working out there. I have emailed him twice and not had any replies. Is the internet connections out there still down or blocked?
here y'go Rodders:

<< Hello! The city was burned and looted. ATMs and payment terminals, if they could not open, were pulled out and taken away by cars. In our area on Komsomolskaya Street, shoe stores were smashed (where they changed shoes, changed clothes), pawnshops, a draught beer store, electronics stores and perfumery - these are the ones that I myself saw.

As long as they got to us, they began to choose. The brand new BAO cafe on the first floor of the residential building was burned down, the Fort Verny restaurant is intact, our bank idol and fort bank branch are destroyed, the Zhusanbank branch opposite the fort, intact. In the area of Tastak, on the f*cking road, they crashed everything in a row' >>

Translation via Microsoft Translate.

Update from my pal re Internet:

<< hi Goaty , thank you. Yes, terrible news from there. Seems like they have Internet from 9AM till 1 PM every day, local time. I hope your friend’s colleagues are fine.>>

Last edited:
here y'go Rodders:

<< Hello! The city was burned and looted. ATMs and payment terminals, if they could not open, were pulled out and taken away by cars. In our area on Komsomolskaya Street, shoe stores were smashed (where they changed shoes, changed clothes), pawnshops, a draught beer store, electronics stores and perfumery - these are the ones that I myself saw.

As long as they got to us, they began to choose. The brand new BAO cafe on the first floor of the residential building was burned down, the Fort Verny restaurant is intact, our bank idol and fort bank branch are destroyed, the Zhusanbank branch opposite the fort, intact. In the area of Tastak, on the f*cking road, they crashed everything in a row' >>

Translation via Microsoft Translate.

Update from my pal re Internet:

<< hi Goaty , thank you. Yes, terrible news from there. Seems like they have Internet from 9AM till 1 PM every day, local time. I hope your friend’s colleagues are fine.>>

Thanks for the update

No, its not a coincidence. It stems from the word "Pan" (feminine: "Pani") which is now used as is the English "Mister / Mr." or the French "Monsieur" and it originally meant "Lord" or "Master" (later a term denoting a member of the gentry). So the fact that the word for a country as well as the word for a couple is descended from a word originally meaning "Lordship" is quite logical.
Not at all like iron.

From the horse's mouth:

Excerpts:

Putin alleged Monday that the violent unrest in Kazakhstan was carried out by terrorists trained abroad. He said the violence bore the hallmarks of a Western-coordinated Maidan operation, a reference to the protests that toppled Ukraine’s pro-Moscow leader in 2014.

“Well-organized and well-controlled groups of militants were used,” Putin said at the CSTO meeting. “(They]) had obviously received training in terrorist camps abroad,” he added.

Erica Marat, a professor at the National Defense University in Washington, told The New York Times that Tokayev “traded his country’s sovereignty to Russia for his own power and the interests of kleptocratic elites.”

Lawmakers in Kyrgyzstan last week voted to approve the deployment of 150 troops to Kazakhstan as part of the CSTO operation, but some have voiced opposition. Zhanybek Kydykbayev has warned that deploying troops could discredit Kyrgyzstan in the eyes of the Kazakh people as it signaled the government’s support for Tokayev.

“We should avoid getting involved in Kazakhstan’s internal conflict. And Tokayev’s appeal to the CSTO is, in my opinion, just his attempt to hold onto power,” Kydykbayev told local reporters.

It's where I start and most often end with your posts I'm afraid.
Have you an objective methodology to work out the answer or are you one of the 'it's true if it makes me feel good' brigade?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you an objective methodology to work out the answer or are you one of the 'it's true if it makes me feel good' brigade?
I look at your posting history and apply common sense.

Any sign of the "...Well-organized and well-controlled groups of militants" yet? If there is such a thing, they must be having a hard time organising themselves given the lack of in-country comms and surveillance by the Russians.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Fair question, so I thought I'd have a look at what I've seen. Obviously independent reporters appear to be a bit thin on the ground in Kazakhstan, however:

1. My first news source of the day is the ABC online. They quote AP and Reuters but do not attribute any of the (alleged) coup defeat to the CSTO troops.
  2. My second source is The Australian online. This has a lengthy article from the Wall Street Journal headlined 'Russia Readies Scores of Transports as Troops Pour in to Kazakhstan'. Text cites RIA, the Russian news agency, as saying that 75 aircraft were involved and 2,500 troops but 'possibly more. Further, the article quotes the Russian Defence Ministry as saying that their troops had moved to secure 'critical and civilian infrastructure'.
  3. I normally have a look at the BBC later in the day, but let's have a look right now. BBC has a correspondent in Almaty but sadly he is unable to provide specifics of Russian troop activities.

I can only assume from the dearth of detail that the Russians are doing what all peacekeeping troops do: see the sights, chat to the locals, eat rations and drink brews. No doubt they will be departing for home soon. You'll have to excuse my cynicism, but given the lack of data I can only look at what the Russians (Sovs as they were) got up to in German cities in 1953 and subsequently Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Chechnya, Afghanistan etc. Or perhaps they are not peacekeepers but peacemakers?
Well if you haven't had much luck finding out what the CSTO troops have been doing there then it sounds like the intervention is, as I said, low key.

As to what they are doing there, perhaps they're doing exactly what they said they would be doing, which is guarding key infrastructure to free up Kazakhstan troops to take on the rioters.

What we know today as "Russia" is essentially a misnomer. It is an Empire assembled by Muscovy which has swallowed up (and sometimes involuntarily regurgitated) surrounding territories and countries as a matter of course, continuously expanding unless checked by a greater physical force. The incessant need to control surrounding territories is notable historical trait of Muscovy.

I have come to the conclusion that in the late Middle Ages had Novgorod gained the upper hand in its struggle with Moscow (unlikely given the very different mentalities of the ruling elites in the two principalities), Russian history woul have been very different.
So they're pretty much like the rest of Europe, including Britain, then.

Seen elsewhere,posted by an Almaty resident yesterday:
Привет! Город сожгли и разграбили. Банкоматы и терминалы оплаты, если не могли открыть, машинами выдергивали и увозили. В нашем районе на Комсомольской громили обувные (там же переобувались, переодевались), ломбарды, магазин разливного пива, магазины электроники и парфюмерные - это те, которые сама видела. Пока до нас дошли, стали выбирать. Новенькое кафе БАО на первом этаже жилого дома согжгли, ресторан Форт верный цел, наше оиделение банка и отделение форте банка разгромлены, отделение жусанбанка напротив форте, цело. В районе тастака на тооеби крушили все подряд '
There have been videos, some I believe posted on this thread, showing lots of shops smashed up and looted in Almaty.

So they're pretty much like the rest of Europe, including Britain, then.
I disagree.

The rest of Europe has pretty much given up on invading its neighbours.

muscat_diver

War Hero
To add to above, we have 9 x XP in Aksai and getting internet 09:00-17:00 in town and cell coverage on Beeline. K-cell less useful. We also have V-Sat on Rig so can use that from the Karachaganak field.
We are also able to rotate staff, 3 XP rotate tomorrow through Uralsk. We also go Aksai-Orenburg-Moscow.

Yes, because Russia is still invading its neighbours.
Curse that Russian time machine which enables their ancient history to be relevant to today but nobody else's.

Latest Threads