Katy's Kitchen to be forced out by Sodexo

If its the same burger van from my visit to Larkhill in 99 I hope they win.

I was surprised it was still going, sodexo have managed to close down pretty much any onsite competition

Interesting. First online petition I've seen addressed within the chain of command. This will horrify some, but the petition is about a commercial service patronised by the petitioners and not about a military decision as such. Getting a lot of attention, too.

Interesting. First online petition I've seen addressed within the chain of command. This will horrify some, but the petition is about a commercial service patronised by the petitioners and not about a military decision as such. Getting a lot of attention, too.
I don't think the CO can do much, not judging by the way COs/RSMs up and down the country are letting the lads get dry bummed using the excuse "The contracts have been signed".

What if the CO unofficially told his blokes to boycott the sodexo canteen for a month.

didn't one of the Commando units do this and Sodexo went fecking mental as they made no money at all.?

I don't think the CO can do much, not judging by the way COs/RSMs up and down the country are letting the lads get dry bummed using the excuse "The contracts have been signed".
I'm sure that's right, but I wouldn't put anyone off from signing the petition.

If anyone is interested look at the Competition Act 1998 and the Enterprise Act 2002.

I would do the honours, but it can be quite complex legislation and I'm fooked at the moment.

Also consider the Competition and Markets Authority.

And don't forget the newspapers.

What if the CO unofficially told his blokes to boycott the sodexo canteen for a month.

didn't one of the Commando units do this and Sodexo went fecking mental as they made no money at all.?
The only one I remember was when the EFI jacked up the prices by 50% in either Lash or Price (or both) one boycott later and the EFI all of a sudden discovered a "computer glitch" that instead of putting up the price by "just" 5% "accidentally" put them up by 50%.

The robbing dog *******.

As I put on the petition, I ran a Red Shield in Gutersloh when Sodexo took over the catering there. We were warned for needing to close down, but the CO (and CO's at other units with Red Shields) told the Garrison Commander they wanted to keep the facilities as is, and we were allowed to stay on. That was directly from the CO's. I think, of about 10 Red Shield locations across Munster, GT, Sennelager and Detmold, only one closed.
Sadly all closed about 7 years later, but not forced out by Sodexo.

As I put on the petition, I ran a Red Shield in Gutersloh when Sodexo took over the catering there. We were warned for needing to close down, but the CO (and CO's at other units with Red Shields) told the Garrison Commander they wanted to keep the facilities as is, and we were allowed to stay on. That was directly from the CO's. I think, of about 10 Red Shield locations across Munster, GT, Sennelager and Detmold, only one closed.
Sadly all closed about 7 years later, but not forced out by Sodexo.
I dont think Sodexho took over in Gutersloh, it was NAAFI. They employed some loud mouthed pads wives to take over the red shed who ran it into the ground.
2CS/2LSR CO did tell the NAAFI to **** right off if they thought he was handing over his regi bar. There was also a concerted effort from the senior officers to protect the golf club from being taken over.

Last edited:
I dont think Sodexho took over in Gutersloh, it was NAAFI. They employed some loud mouthed pads wives to take over the red shed who ran it into the ground.
2CS/2LSR CO did tell the NAAFI to **** right off if they thought he was handed over his regi bar. There was also a concerted effort from the senior officers to protect the golf club from being taken over.
Yep, you are right on both counts. I was running Mansergh, and PRB also ran Blankenhagen. We took over Blankenhagen, but the big Red Shield on PRB was the only one we lost. I believe (I could be wrong but I think not) NAAFI insisted that to make their figures work, they had to have either the PRB Red Shield or the PRB PRI, and the Garrison Commanders wife ran the PRI, so the Red Shield went.
But the bottom line is that all the others were protected by the CO's agaainst what the contractor wanted.

Last edited:
Ask any firm who survive by bidding for work. The first rule of competition is to get rid of the competition.

As it's the public sector, was a proper tendering process held and how were the bids evaluated?

If there wasn't a tendering process and the work was awarded as an add on, what was the percentage of the work added on? Should it have been separately tendered?

A bit tongue in cheek this one but should the staff who currently are doing the work be taken on by Sodexo on their existing terms and conditions under the TUPE regulations?

Latest Threads