Katherine Johnson

endure

GCM
One of the unsung heroes of the space race dies...

E2A:

"Glenn didn’t quite trust the machines to run the numbers: they were prone to errors and blackouts. He reportedly asked engineers to “get the girl,” meaning Johnson, to repeat the same trajectory calculations using nothing but a pen, a ruler, some paper, and a mechanical calculator. “If she says they’re good, then I’m ready to go,” he said. Glenn became the first American to orbit the Earth in 1962. "

Last edited:

bedended

War Hero
One of the unsung heroes of the space race dies...

E2A:

"Glenn didn’t quite trust the machines to run the numbers: they were prone to errors and blackouts. He reportedly asked engineers to “get the girl,” meaning Johnson, to repeat the same trajectory calculations using nothing but a pen, a ruler, some paper, and a mechanical calculator. “If she says they’re good, then I’m ready to go,” he said. Glenn became the first American to orbit the Earth in 1962. "
Morning @endure,
Just read her obit'., in today's local 'comic' before logging on here.
Remarkable woman.

Attachments

endure

GCM
They made a movie about her and her fellow 'computers' called 'Hidden Figures'. Well worth watching.

They made a movie about her and her fellow 'computers' called 'Hidden Figures'. Well worth watching.
I mentioned this, when her demise was included in the "Dead Pool" thread . . .
Sure that it is only since Christmas/New Year, I saw that film on terrestrial TV. :(.

endure

GCM
I watched it for the first time just last week. Remarkable strength of character, as well as natural ability.
Today's Times has an obituary for her. She said that about 75% of the film was true.

Latest Threads