Kate Nesbitt is first woman in Royal Navy to receive MC

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Times
    September 11, 2009
    Kate Nesbitt is first woman in Royal Navy to receive Military Cross
    Royal Navy Medical Assistant Kate Nesbitt with colleagues
    [​IMG]
    Kate Nesbitt, above, won her a Military Cross. 'Under fire her commitment and courage made the difference between life and death,' the MoD said
    Michael Evans, Defence Editor

A 20-year-old medic who repeatedly rushed forward to save colleagues while under attack from the Taleban has become the first woman in the Royal Navy to be awarded the Military Cross and only the second in the Armed Forces.

Able Seaman Class 1 Kate Nesbitt tended wounded colleagues from 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines several times when they came under fire while on patrol in Afghanistan. The Ministry of Defence said: “Able Seaman Nesbitt’s actions throughout a series of offensive operations were exemplary. Under fire and under pressure her commitment and courage were inspirational and made the difference between life and death. She performed in the highest traditions of her service.”

Able Seaman Nesbitt’s award was one of more than 100 announced by the MoD yesterday in relation to 3 Commando Brigade’s tour of duty in Helmand between October and March. She was one of 14 to receive the Military Cross. Two were awarded to members of the special forces; their names were not published.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6829895.ece

2. Well done AB Nesbitt!

3. Congrats AB Nesbitt

4. Well done luv
    john
    Never approved of women in Front line, never doubted their courage, but would still like name of the Man who authoried it.

5. Many congratulations to her. Hope she gets loads of help with the press that she is going to get thrust upon her.

Also congratulations to all the others too.

6. Well done and thoroughly deserved

7. Well done.Totally deserved.

8. Big BZ to that rating, well done Kate

Made an ex matelot very proud

9. Well done. Respect.

10. Well done to Kate Nesbitt and all the others on the list as well!

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Good to see the RN get some good PR too!

I wonder if she has any relatives who tried a join a certain signal sqn and failed :wink:

12. Well done MA Kate,nice to see the Best of the Best winning.Keep your head down lass!

13. I'm surprised to not see the usual "I would" comments..

But, well done to the lass and the others.

14. Well done to all concerned. You have my sincere respect. thank you one and all.