Karzai seeks U.N. clarity on Ashdowns Afghan role

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jan 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKISL13343420080121?rpc=401&

Karzai seeks U.N. clarity on Ashdown's Afghan role
    Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:13am

KABUL (Reuters) - Afghan President Hamid Karzai has said politician Paddy Ashdown cannot become U.N. envoy to Afghanistan unless the world body clarifies his role, state newspapers said on Monday.

A Western source close to talks over the post said last week Ashdown, the former U.N. High Representative and EU special envoy for Bosnia, had agreed with U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to be his special envoy for Afghanistan.

The United States wants Ashdown to have greater powers than previous U.N. envoys to coordinate with Karzai's government, the European Union and NATO which commands some 42,000 troops fighting Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan, Western sources said.
    More on the link

2. If the power of this position is watered down I rather suspect Paddy will not accept it. Rather like having responsibility without authority.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, he could say "My position as U.N. Envoy, based upon my previous diplomatic and military experience, is to run around very quickly slotting the bad guys with extreme sanction"

or "I'm sorry, I cannot answer that question"

or "I could tell you, but then I'll have to kill you!"