Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Karrimor Hot Rock.

I've got the Karrimor SF boot. Superb bit of kit, comfortable straight out of the box and keeps my feet warm and dry.
Used for walking and fishing, once this pair wear out I just hope I can get another pair.
I use these as my work boot. Excellent bit of kit though the fit is quite narrow so even if you don’t usually, consider a wide fitting as for availability the best value I found was from Cadet Direct

Has anybody any experience with the boot in the title. I realise it's an entry level boot, that'll be fine by me. I've tried a pair on and was surprised how comfortable they are, straight out of the box.
I like the Karrimor Mount trainers which look similar. The waterproofing is fairly good (but won't stand up to hours of heavy rain), they're comfy and cheap. Soles are pretty good but a bit slippery on wet rock. Currently on my third pair. If you don't mind replacing them after a year then they'll be fine.

If you're buying a decent pair then I would go to a proper shop like Cotswold or Trekitt, both places will happily exchange knackered boots if you still have the receipt.

I use these as my work boot. Excellent bit of kit though the fit is quite narrow so even if you don’t usually, consider a wide fitting as for availability the best value I found was from Cadet Direct
You must have REALLY fat feet.
Mine are a 9M and they are like wearing a pair of slippers.

You must have REALLY fat feet.
Mine are a 9M and they are like wearing a pair of slippers.
Interesting. Mine are 12m and are fine, though a little more snug than a normal medium fit. They also creaked like anything while breaking in but that doesn’t matter

You are a published author, don’t do cheap get either salomon or Aku.

I'd advise going for the lower priced kit

It will be far easier for them to cut off when the inevitable mountain rescue of an exhausted and bewildered pensioner trying to follow a BAOR escape map of the Alps takes place .

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
Agree with the Karrimor SF brand being kosher and the Sportsdirect stuff.......I wouldn't trust it to burn in a fire BUT it might be OK. Looking at fit, stitching, quality of finish (if there are blobs of glue, wonkey label, would you trust the QC?). Best pair of boots I ever had were (original) Karrimor KSBs.
Have fun anyway! For the sake of £20, a pair that fit well, but get a bit wet or wear down are worth it

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve posted in various threads about Gore Tex not just being a material but also a quality control stamp.

Any boot with a Gore Tex label on it, regardless of brand, will have been through extensive testing to destruction.

I don’t recall the exact figures but for boots to be legally called “waterproof” in the EU, they are tested by being filled with tissue paper and then submerged in a tank of water. A machine bends the boot 1000 times to simulate footsteps.

Then the insides are checked for any water ingress. If there is less than 3cm squared of water on the tissue, the boots pass and can be sold in the EU with a “waterproof” label.

By way of comparison, Gore Tex do the same test (plus many many others) but the boot does 200,000 steps over a period of 24 hours. Any water on the tissue at all, even 1ml, is considered a fail and the boots must be redesigned.

Pay a bit extra for something with a Gore Tex label, it’s worth it.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Had a pair of Zamberlan Trek-Lite for many years, wore them out, now on a pair of Trail-Lite (£150 from Gaynor Sports in Ambleside). For lighter stuff I have a pair of Grisport Dartmoor shoes.

(They've gone up since I bought mine!!)

The Grisport shoes have the advantage of being useable as everyday shoes should you so desire. Again, not cheap, but can sometimes get them on discount.

1602446194059.png

Both are waterproof which is essential for my normal walking routes from home.

Karrimor are strictly "you get what you pay for". Their cheap stuff is just that, cheap and it won't last, their more expensive stuff is pretty good.

TamH70

MIA
I’ve posted in various threads about Gore Tex not just being a material but also a quality control stamp.

Any boot with a Gore Tex label on it, regardless of brand, will have been through extensive testing to destruction.

I don’t recall the exact figures but for boots to be legally called “waterproof” in the EU, they are tested by being filled with tissue paper and then submerged in a tank of water. A machine bends the boot 1000 times to simulate footsteps.

Then the insides are checked for any water ingress. If there is less than 3cm squared of water on the tissue, the boots pass and can be sold in the EU with a “waterproof” label.

By way of comparison, Gore Tex do the same test (plus many many others) but the boot does 200,000 steps over a period of 24 hours. Any water on the tissue at all, even 1ml, is considered a fail and the boots must be redesigned.

Pay a bit extra for something with a Gore Tex label, it’s worth it.

Not necessarily, old bean.

I paid nearly ninety sheets for a pair of Merrell ankle boots as they were Gore-Tex and the sole looked sturdy and grippy, and I've regretted it ever since - the soles react like ice-skates on wet rock, wet concrete, wet leaf-litter, wet grass and obviously ice, basically, anything that's wet, is found on the ground and is in West Scotland. The uppers are quite good at keeping the wet out, but that's not really reassuring when the soles are trying to kill me in weather conditions that barely start out as mildly moist.

I only nearly fell on my face twice before I decided to relegate them to dry weather use only and bought myself a pair of Magnum 8.0 Cougars from an online shoppe. They may not be fully waterproof but they grip like velcro gloves on a sheep on ice and all the other stuff l listed earlier.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Had a pair of Zamberlan Trek-Lite for many years, wore them out, now on a pair of Trail-Lite (£150 from Gaynor Sports in Ambleside). For lighter stuff I have a pair of Grisport Dartmoor shoes.

(They've gone up since I bought mine!!)

The Grisport shoes have the advantage of being useable as everyday shoes should you so desire. Again, not cheap, but can sometimes get them on discount.

View attachment 511496

Both are waterproof which is essential for my normal walking routes from home.

Karrimor are strictly "you get what you pay for". Their cheap stuff is just that, cheap and it won't last, their more expensive stuff is pretty good.
Blimey, you must get all the girls when you wear those Grisport shoes.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Blimey, you must get all the girls when you wear those Grisport shoes.
I've got one thanks, had her for over 20 years ;)

On my third pair of similar Grisport shoes. Bought the first pair on a wet holiday in Wales when my original shoes split. Have since walked two pairs to the point where the Vibram soles wore through - a lot of walking.

I'm more concerned about grip, comfort and waterproofing than I am about looks. Thin coat of dubbin every now and again and they come up a treat, and stay waterproof.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I have worn Brasher Hillmaster GTX boots with Sorbothane insoles for the past 20+ years and have never had sore or wet feet . For me they are a very comfortable boot .
Agree with the Sorbothane insoles wholeheartedly - they can transform pretty much any average boots into something you can wear all day and / or do many miles in compared to the standard cardboard most (including Lowa!) are supplied with - if you have a pair of Karrimor SF patrol boots, then you have probably the best standard insoles I've seen, there's energy absorbing pads on the heel and 'ball' areas, i've not seen that level of fitness for purpose on many boots at all.

NSP

LE
It's been quite a while, over 40 years, since I last did any proper walking/hiking. My new girlfriend loves it and has (easily) persuaded me to start again.

Nothing fancy, we're not going up Scafell Pike yet, just local stuff.

Has anybody any experience with the boot in the title. I realise it's an entry level boot, that'll be fine by me. I've tried a pair on and was surprised how comfortable they are, straight out of the box.

Now, our walks are going to get more rigorous once I build up my strength and will be incorporated into our wild camping. (I've been doing that for years, but on motorcycles, ) so my question really is, should I buy these and upgrade later or is this a good boot that will last a few years?

I'm not looking at any other entry level boot. Just after views on this partictular brand and model.

Cheers.
I favour a Karrimor with a lower ankle. I used to go for high-leg "for the support" but found that as I got more adventurous and my walks got longer and over more broken terrain I picked up less strain injuries if my ankle joint did not have the range of its mobility constrained by a the "support" of the higher boot but still had a level of support around the ankle. Also, less abrasion and stiffness in the calf muscle. Even moreso as I have got older.

You might want to look at something halfway between a trail shoe and that particular boot - it looks like it comes over the ankle joint in photos on sellers sites - but you know your own gait, so...

Two things I have found with my Karrimors: 1) they were only forty squids but have stood all sorts of beastings across Dartmoor and continue to do so (I am most definitely not a fair-weather walker; boulder fields, bogs, rivers, babies heads and the rest; I just bash through them all), and 2) with non-leather boots giving them a good hosing with Nikwax Tx Direct proofer spray is a damn good idea, as is wearing proofed gaiters.

Last edited:

Teg61

Old-Salt
I have had these Meindl boots for 8 years now and they were fantastic straight out the box. It’s only in the last few months that the inner lining has started to come away. The outer boot itself is still in great condition, but then I regularly polish/wax them after every long walk, especially if it has been a wet one.
1602449536932.jpeg

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I have had these Meindl boots for 8 years now and they were fantastic straight out the box. It’s only in the last few months that the inner lining has started to come away. The outer boot itself is still in great condition, but then I regularly polish/wax them after every long walk, especially if it has been a wet one. View attachment 511506
Looks like new....

Latest Threads