Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Karrimor Hot Rock.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
It's been quite a while, over 40 years, since I last did any proper walking/hiking. My new girlfriend loves it and has (easily) persuaded me to start again.

Nothing fancy, we're not going up Scafell Pike yet, just local stuff.

Has anybody any experience with the boot in the title. I realise it's an entry level boot, that'll be fine by me. I've tried a pair on and was surprised how comfortable they are, straight out of the box.

Now, our walks are going to get more rigorous once I build up my strength and will be incorporated into our wild camping. (I've been doing that for years, but on motorcycles, ) so my question really is, should I buy these and upgrade later or is this a good boot that will last a few years?

I'm not looking at any other entry level boot. Just after views on this partictular brand and model.

Cheers.

I've got the Karrimor SF boot. Superb bit of kit, comfortable straight out of the box and keeps my feet warm and dry.
Used for walking and fishing, once this pair wear out I just hope I can get another pair.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
The brand is now owned by Sports Direct, don't expect them to last long.
Not tried them myself - but as usual, Amazon reviews are pretty polarised.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I've got the Karrimor SF boot. Superb bit of kit, comfortable straight out of the box and keeps my feet warm and dry.
Used for walking and fishing, once this pair wear out I just hope I can get another pair.
Karrimor SF is now owned by PRI, and still produce decent kit, the 'consumer' Karrimor brand is owned by Sports Direct

How far are you walking and over what terrain? What’s your price range?

The best boots are the ones that fit your feet. Sounds trite but I have slightly odd shaped feet that mean some boots hurt like buggery while some are like slippers.

if you’re wanting something just to get going now, I’d recommend some shoes, possibly with gore-tex until you definitely need a decent boot.

That said, if you have the cash, I love the civvy aku pilgrims. The GTX version are pretty perfect for most UK walking until you start to need crampons.

Dr Death

War Hero
If a NT member you get 15% in Cotswold Camping.
The might be expensive but offer first class advice & fitting and servicing is very easy.
Could always try them & then see if cheaper on amazon?

Millets doing a sale at the moment.
I have Merrill Walking boots bought in the last sale they had.
Do not buy too expensive in case you just do not get in to it.

Thick socks & inner comfort insoles help with not getting blisters.

964ST

Old-Salt
Your feet will come round to the shape of the boot

Like after a lot of years, with deformed calf muscles!!

I've got an original Karrimor Hot Rock daypack! Still going strong!

Ref boots, you need to try them on....no matter how attractive the deal

We Brits have wide feet like the Germans. The Italians tend to have narrower feet.

I use Meindl and Hanwag for that very reason - the cut of the last. Italian brands such as Zamberlan are too narrow.
My mate finds that with bike boots. If its off the continent he has to go up a size and they are never wide enough, he always breaks them by his little toe behind the toe slider thingymajig.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
My mate finds that with bike boots. If its off the continent he has to go up a size and they are never wide enough, he always breaks them by his little toe behind the toe slider thingymajig.
Zamberlan broke the mould about 30 years ago when they launched the Trek-Lite boot. They made it on a British last. I had pair for years.

I followed them with a different Zamberlan boot, not realising the issue with lasts. This second pair was made on an Italian last.

I gave up on the them after a relatively short walk in which the outer two toes of both feet were so tightly packed that the skin between them split. Very painful, and the only was back was to walk as far as I'd already come.

The German companies' products I have no such issues with.

Last edited:

Latest Threads