Karen Matthews Jailed

The mother of Shannon Matthews has been jailed for kidnapping her own daughter in an attempt to claim reward money.

Both were jailed for eight years by a judge at Leeds Crown Court who said the offences were "truly despicable".

Eight years is way too light. What a joke our justice system is.

Clicky

The barrister said Matthews had been isolated in prison because of how she had been portrayed and had received no visitors except for her lawyers.
Owww dear my heart bleeds for the Evil cow

walt_of_the_walts said:
Eight years may be too light, but I'm surprised she got more than 2!
Balls was going to add something of a similar ilk in my post. Afraid I agree with you on that one

Radio 1 news (not seen mentioned anywhere else) reported that 6h worth of interview tapes of Shannon were not shown to the court. On these tapes Shannon make reference to meeting a number of family members while being held. Looks like this thing isnt over yet and a few more accomplices are to be found.

Pre-Sentence report said:
neither defendant seems to have the cognitive ability to devise and orchestrate such an elaborate offence with any degree of likelihood of success
Got to love that quote.

Edit to add - chocolate_frog great mind think alike

The judge said it was doubtful Matthews and Donovan could have planned and carried out the kidnap without other people.

He said: "Having regard to their low intellect... it must be doubtful whether they could have conceived or continued these offences without the assistance or connivance of others.
So they aren´t master criminals then 8)

Ahh, Mr Bond.

I don't live in England and haven't been caught up with all the hype surrounding the case, but the crime doesn't seem that bad to me, am I wrong?

They are both a pair of dribbling cretins who deserve to banged up for a bit, but they didn't kill or fiddle with a child. They didn't successfully defraud banks and taxpayers to the tune of billions like our bankers.

They just had a ridiculous plan concocted during some drug addled stupour and a girl spent a week in a room playing computer games.

Hardly Myra Hindley stuff.
But, newspapers need selling I suppose...

Vile, wicked, cruel, unbelievable............No, just a pair of f*cking morons.

Howler said:
I don't live in England and haven't been caught up with all the hype surrounding the case, but the crime doesn't seem that bad to me, am I wrong?

They are both a pair of dribbling cretins who deserve to banged up for a bit, but they didn't kill or fiddle with a child. They didn't successfully defraud banks and taxpayers to the tune of billions like our bankers.

They just had a ridiculous plan concocted during some drug addled stupour and a girl spent a week in a room playing computer games.

Yes I also think that drugging your own child for months before imprisoning her with some bloke she barely knows for weeks (not a week) that you should receive a caution at worst.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
In a society where fraud is more often than not considered a white collar crime - attracting token gesture sentencing - this is a welcome change. But as mentioned, thats proabably more likely to have happened because of the drugging of the sprog and the massive media/public interest. Bet they probably just wanted to give her a community service order, a tag or a slap on the wrists - thats more in line with current policy, right?

To be honest Karen Matthews deserves everything she gets, she should have known only the ugly ones always turn up alive

She'll be out in 3. 8 year sentence cut in half, plus the time spent on remand. She'll be out and available to take up the post of Olympic hide and seek assistant coach for London.

It was her own daughter so whats the big deal?

Its not like she hid someone elses child. Sentence was a touch too harsh. Bringing up the nipper in Leeds would have been a far stiffer sentence

Howler said:

Are you on crack? The imprisonment of an 8yo child in order to cash in on reward money (inspired by the search for another child (Madeline McCann)), not to mention tugging the heart strings of the country... "doesn´t seem that bad"? You are aware the child was tied in positon by a "lead" around the neck, and kept in the bedroom

chocolate_frog said:
Howler said:

Are you on crack? The imprisonment of an 8yo child in order to cash in on reward money (inspired by the search for another child (Madeline McCann)), not to mention tugging the heart strings of the country... "doesn´t seem that bad"? You are aware the child was tied in positon by a "lead" around the neck, and kept in the bedroom

No, I'm not on crack.
I just think that the vitriol and hysteria dished out by the press is a little over the top.
Yes it was pretty sickening, and yes they deserve to be banged up for being a pair of weapons grade bellends, but it seems that they are being portrayed as the worst kind of pederasts, which they are not.

Unkind, weird, nasty, but it's not catergory A, is it?

As I said, newspapers need to be sold.

If Karen Mathews had been raping her daughter with a Ford Fiesta wing mirror then yes, 8 years is too lenient.

However, 8 years for a drug induced game of hide and seek gone awry is a tad harsh.

The judge who sentenced Karen Matthews and Michael Donovan today said that they were too stupid to get away with their crime.

He went on to add that bears are known to defecate in the woods and that the Pontiff is believed to be the owner of a balcony.