Karadzic to be transferred to a UK prison

Good. Stick the murderous cvnt in the Bar-L or Dartmoor.
Dartmoor is more like a social worker college these days. It looks a darn sight worse than it is. My mate is a prison visitor, a very upright Christian he is, a good man but not very "travelled". He reckons that Exeter nick is the worse zoo in the area.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Regenerate The Cheshire Regiment and pop him into their Guardroom.

tenor (31).gif

I'm not quite sure I understand the rationale of sending him to the UK to serve the remainder of his sentence.
My interpretation of this case is that we signed up to the International Criminal Court and that entails being willing to hold prisoners sentenced by the court as the court has no means of doing so itself, relying upon its signatories for such needs.

I'm not quite sure I understand the rationale of sending him to the UK to serve the remainder of his sentence.
We seem to have offered.

My interpretation of this case is that we signed up to the International Criminal Court and that entails being willing to hold prisoners sentenced by the court as the court has no means of doing so itself, relying upon its signatories for such needs.
Basically that's right. Karadzic was sentenced by the now-defunct ICTY not the ICC, but that is the principle.

I'm not sure why this is so much a surprise to some. It may be ancient history these days, but people might remember that there has been an international criminal process in connection with post-Yugoslav war crimes and crimes against humanity, from which it follows that some arrangement would have to be made for the future incarceration of those convicted.

Imprisonment in the former "enemy" entity was out of the question, given the state of legal systems at the time, and there were also strong arguments against a single prison to hold enemies together for the duration of their sentence. (Anecdotally I believe most of the former Yugoslavs got on fine with each other while on remand, but not all.)

The UK signed up to the agreement about taking convicted prisoners in 2004, and was by no means the first state to do so.

It certainly hasn't been trouble free. In 2010 Radovan Krstic a Serb ICTY convict was attacked and seriously injured by three Muslim inmates in Wakefield prison, one of whom was a Kosovan convicted murderer, and Krstic was transferred back to the Netherlands and later to prison in Poland. The network of European states signed up to the agreement makes it possible to move inmates around, just as happens within the UK prison systems. A single prison in the Netherlands for all convicted prisoners would not offer any chance of transfer.

PS - Radovan Karadzic (age 75) is a significant commitment, but we arguably haven't been accepting any more than our share under these sentence enforcement agreements:

PPS - We also accepted former Sierra Leone President Charles Taylor to serve his 50-year sentence in a UK jail.

Last edited:

Latest Threads