Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by IMAGEDUDE, Mar 29, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's that all about then?
  2. Looking good on TV?  8)

I think we used them in Norway, but only for their intended purpose - on the mountains...
  3. Well, you never know when you might have to abseil off all those cliffs you find in the desert.
    The same reason that people still insist on putting scrim net on their helmet - they think they look 'warry'
  4. I keep one on mine so you can clip it to wagon.

It's impossible to wear webbing in the cupola of a 432, so it gets clipped to the hatch handle using a crab and its really quick to undo, of course it goes inside if you're battened down.

Beats losing everything you own on a bit of cross country.
  5. If its any help I've seen the US Rangers clip the butts of their short stock M-16s on to their webbing yokes with karabiners.  Makes it a lot easier for them to use both hands for other tasks.
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

But if you're in the middle of a 'war' then surely you are 'warry?
  7. Just wondering, other than looking 'warry' and 'well ard' is there actually any perceived benefit of scrim over helmet???? just curious! :p
  8. Some may say it aids the application of local cam.
  9. msr

msr LE

I would have thought that the thick elastic straps were perfect for that....
  10. personal pref i guess
  11. I know with Para Regt. it goes back to our predecessors, that was the only way of securing camoflage to the helmet.
  12. Makes sure that your webbing and bergan do not become seperated when deploying to theatre with Crab air.  

Lets face it a karabiner is a useful bit of kit for all sorts of reasons, why not have one on your person.
  13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I have to admit to never having used mine but I got one 'cos all the old soaks had one.  But we have cable-ties these days so I use those for just about everything except killing the enemy..
  14. same here had one cos everyone else had one on their
    webbing  . got rid of it when i realised couldnt rember
    why it was there  :)
  15. I tend to keep one for many of the reasons above. I don't think river crossings have been metioned tho.